07-09-2014, 10:28 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Has anyone on here ever done it? Thinking of put in for a Roustabout position and trying to work my way up. At 31 I wonder if I am to old for this. I have a background in Avionics and Non-Destructive Testing from the Air Force as I'm still in the Air National Guard. A buddy of mine in the unit works offshore as an Electronics Tech and says he makes around 175k a year. He moved into this position after doing about 9 months of Roustabout work moving up he said. Any input?

15 970
 07-11-2014, 11:27 PM
User Info
If you leave yourself viable exit strategy - and your family is okay with it - what harm is there to try?

Several former coworkers of mine went the same route, working offshore in the North Sea. The major stumbling blocks for most of them wan't the work itself (which varied from hard manual labour on the well deck to piloting ROVs) but the relative isolation while out on the rig.

I gave it some though when I was your age and the RNoAF went through it's frequent reorganisations... but I decieded that two weeks on and two weeks off was not going to work for my family. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

3 4,373
 07-12-2014, 02:26 AM
User Info
My uncle worked for 30 offshore and loved it. The mid important thing is your family being ok with it. In the end you get to be with them more time than with a more regular job.

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163