07-09-2014, 03:09 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info

[Image: hyperglide-intro-1_zps21c4e00c.jpg]

I was wondering whether anyone here has any experience with the King of Shaves Hyperglide?

I have one on order because I am curious. I like the design, but whether the lubricating strips work as advertised, I'm at a loss. It is said not to need shave soap/cream, and that they actually interfere with its performance.

I should have it in a week or so, and will report back here when it arrives.

NOTE: Thanks to Sabre for catching my earlier photo posting error! The posted image above is now correct.

0 254
 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I cannot imagine not using some kind of lubricant, whether it be foam from soap or a shaving oil. Will be interested in your opinion once you use it.

178 23,809
 07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
User Info
If I see one in a store I might pick it up but so far I haven't. If it rally worked that'd be a great travel razor. I would prefer it if it was a trac II type razor though. Any more blades causes irritation after awhile.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
That was the last cartridge razor I used before trying a DE and never looking back! It shaved pretty good but those multi blades always gave me terrible ingrowns on my neck. I used it with their shaving gel which actually was really slick for the razor to glide on, I wouldn't try using it without their shave gel or shave oil. KOS shave oil I like and still use once in a while with my DE shave. If I'm not mistaken the cartridges are cheaper than Gillette and Schlick. Good luck with the KOS razor.
Cheers

0 143
 07-09-2014, 05:33 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have one and it is totally useless...don,t waste your money...at least a Sensor cuts and a Fusion does a decent job on the neck .

6 2,028
 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
Well, Pierpaolo, a member here from Italia/Italy, username 'ischiapp', has been using one for a few weeks, now. He has had it in his SOTD pics a few times. You may want to contact him to get his views.

83 21,081
 07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
They sell them at Target Stores here in the USA.

178 23,809
 07-10-2014, 02:21 AM
User Info
Looks like a potatoes raspBiggrin I think that my wife will love this tool... So useful in the kitchen...

0 17
 07-10-2014, 03:41 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 04:15 PM)Johnny Wrote: I cannot imagine not using some kind of lubricant, whether it be foam from soap or a shaving oil. Will be interested in your opinion once you use it.

I'll second that, that's a ballsy endeavour. I shaved today without a shower/good prep before hand for the first time and I really paid for it, and that was with a great lather. Blush

12 848
 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(07-10-2014, 03:41 AM)ShaneN. Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 04:15 PM)Johnny Wrote: I cannot imagine not using some kind of lubricant, whether it be foam from soap or a shaving oil. Will be interested in your opinion once you use it.

I'll second that, that's a ballsy endeavour. I shaved today without a shower/good prep before hand for the first time and I really paid for it, and that was with a great lather. Blush

To be fair, KOS isn't advocating lubrication-free shaves. They just don't think that soap/cream is necessary. They do stress beard wetting, and state that their lubrication strips break down the surface tension of water--making it "wetter".

I'll be trying the razor with plain water, and then with Cremo cream and their own shave gel and oil.

0 254
 07-10-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
Cool design. If it doesn't work as a razor you could use it as a tuning fork.

0 1,007
 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
The KOS Hyperglide is different to the earlier Azor razors in that the cartridges contains all the lubrication required, a giant lubricating strip. I have tried the Azor and it is mediocre but not bad. However, I can't see the point of the Hyperglide, as I will never put aside my boar brush and shaving soap...

The above image is thre Azor not the Hyperglide

[Image: hyperglide-002s.jpg]

0 280
 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM
User Info
I haven't used it, but Mark Herro/mantic59 did a review over at Sharpologist.

He seemed to think it did a pretty good job.

10 1,858
 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
User Info
(07-15-2014, 10:41 AM)Songwind Wrote: I haven't used it, but Mark Herro/mantic59 did a review over at Sharpologist.

He seemed to think it did a pretty good job.

I saw that review, but the Hyperglide handles/blades are twice the price of Azor handles/blades. So there is no value in them and making them the same price as the Gillette Fusion blades...

0 280
 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Never seen Hyperglide.
But Azor is not so bad.
With all my gears as pre- and post-treatment in add to my favourite lathers, It works fine.

For me, its superpower is fashon-style.
It's the only shaver in grand-soiré suite I have.Wink

0 1,140
 07-18-2014, 09:06 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
I received my razor in yesterday's late mail. I just completed my second shave with it, and must say I'm impressed.

It's been a long time since I used a cart to shave with--at least in a manner where I was seriously trying to evaluate it as a shaving tool. The Hyperglide and I just met, but we're getting along pretty well so far--and there are promising signs that our relationship will become closer still.

I will write more detailed observations over the weekend, but for now I have to say that I was surprised at the results I received. Not quite BBS, but very close. And with no hint of irritation at all. A very nice shave from the very base of my neck, over my chin and under my nose.

My first two shaves went so very well that I am sure that I'll never again be without one of these for those special occasions where I want to look my beast and a nick or cut too great a risk. This razor is growing on me already. It will take another day or two for me to learn the best shaving pattern for me to use in all areas of my face.

0 254
 07-18-2014, 09:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Jim. Be sure and post some pictures of your quality possession.

Did you order yours direct from them in the UK?

I believe I read someplace that you should be able to get 12-15 shave from one blade. Not sure about that, but that's what I either heard or read.

178 23,809
 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
The number of shaves I'll Be tracking for sure. And "Yes" I'll take some pics.

For those that follow my reviews, I try to give my first impressions (especially when my reaction is strong). Two things struck me about this razor immediately--first, the handle grip has a layer of rubber on it, and is sure and quite good. I mean very, very good. Very sure. Quite notable and extremely well done.

Second, the razor feels good in the hand. It has a nice heft and nice balance and just feels at hone--even though the design differs from my other razors.

It's surprisingly easy to use (translation: I don't really know what I am doing because the design is so new to me BUT it is sooo easy to use!)

0 254
 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
User Info
I picked up this razor as a giveaway at a straight razor convention in Asheville in April. I shave with straights, but gave it a try since it was free. It's a good razor. Add water to your face and the razor head and shave.

21 1,669
 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM
User Info
Jim, continued success with the shaves! Smile

83 21,081