07-10-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
A few months back there was a good deal of excitement regarding the “return” of some iconic British lines (Penhaligon and Floris) and I was looking to see if the reformulation wave washed over any other brands.

In particular, I am interested in Geo F Trumpers. Their creams are excellent and their scent profiles are amongst my favorite. I have been suckered into buying a few of the Rose soaps simply because I love the scent; one was unredeemable and ended up an overpriced shower soap, the other creates a passable lather - if and only if - the puck is submerged in very hot water for the duration of my shower.

But recently, I have seen threads that offer a glimmer of hope. Here in the Nook and in other forums, some folks have posted that they have pucks that actually produce a thick, stable lather.

There are enough of the naysayers (which include yours truly) to more than offset those postings, but it has started me thinking that perhaps there are new batches of GFT soaps that aren't utter rubbish.

Has anyone been brave or foolhardy enough to make a recent purchase and has that soap been a hero or zero?

I would love to be able to purchase quality GFT soaps, hopefully that will not remain a pipe dream

8 240
 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
Stirling makes a rose scented shave soap that's supposed to be strongly scented. I'm not sure if its in stock currently I personally have not tried it but I can say that I've never been disappointed by Stirling and I've bought a copious amount of Rods products. I will say that the soap has to be dialed in but once you've got it down it works great, slick with staying power. A single Stirling puck 4-5oz will last a very long time. I get at least 4-5 months from a single puck and I make a three pass shave daily. He also offers 2oz samples for $2.00.

6 589
 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
User Info
Nothing will replace the original Trumper Tallow soaps. They have become quite expensive for whatever remains, but are sure worth the additional money as they are a superb treat that will soon be lost. I would suggest scanning the forums and ebay for any that appear.

It would take a lot to get me to part with mine!

Michael

24 276
 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
User Info
I have seen the occasional tallow GFT soap come around and they have the exclusivity factored into their pricing. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a puck of tallow Violet a while back when I realized that if I did win it, then what?

I would be like a junkie looking for the next fix. I have made it my policy not to chase unicorns - especially in non-durable goods.

I was hoping to hear from someone at last our long shaving nightmare with GFT soaps was over, but I may need to wait longer

(07-10-2014, 09:30 AM)monarch2001 Wrote: Nothing will replace the original Trumper Tallow soaps. They have become quite expensive for whatever remains, but are sure worth the additional money as they are a superb treat that will soon be lost. I would suggest scanning the forums and ebay for any that appear.

It would take a lot to get me to part with mine!

Michael

8 240
 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 03:51 PM)Tim_McD Wrote: I have made it my policy not to chase unicorns - especially in non-durable goods.

Good policy!

Thumbup

6 36
 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(07-10-2014, 03:51 PM)Tim_McD Wrote: "I have seen the occasional tallow GFT soap come around and they have the exclusivity factored into their pricing. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a puck of tallow Violet a while back when I realized that if I did win it, then what?

I would be like a junkie looking for the next fix. I have made it my policy not to chase unicorns - especially in non-durable goods.

I was hoping to hear from someone at last our long shaving nightmare with GFT soaps was over, but I may need to wait longer"

This is a great point written above! I have a lovely GFT Lime tallow puck and a "Well" performing GFT Rose from 2009...Thankfully they are both very enjoyable, with the tallow being noticeably different/better IMO compared to the veg rose. I totally agree that loving discontinued products really stinks for reasons mentioned above, and it is definitely easier to just NOT fall in love in the first placeHeart There are so many awesome soaps out there that I think it's fun to try a given unique soap that is no longer produced if you happen upon the right deal...but be done and move on when finished...unless of course this is the soap of your dreams and a true unicorn! Let the wedding bells ringAngel

4 794
 07-11-2014, 08:01 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I agree that you guys should just stay away from the unicorns, it makes it a lot more affordable for me when I don't have as much competition. Angel

145 2,752
 07-11-2014, 11:27 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Unicorns are so much prettier than horses though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 2,826