07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
User Info
Since several of you were extremely helpful in our recent shaving brush conversation, I wanted to share an idea for a brush I had last night--and extend an offer to sell it to a TSN member for $25.00, which represents the cost of my materials & CONUS Priority Mail shipping. (I'll charge the shipping difference to any international member who might be interested.) I only ask that you give it a fair test and share your impressions (Good, bad or indifferent) with me. The big thing is that I'm looking to create a line of brushes with a wide range of appeal--and this is the first of many planned steps.
[Image: yAaHZ96.jpg]

About the brush...
It's "inspired" by the long handled Rubberset brush, but with a VERY truncated 45mm x 34mm handle, as you can see. (I said "inspired" because even though it's easier to copy another artisan's work, I won't do that out of respect for the time and mental & physical effort that goes into creating something new.)

Approximate dimensions...

Total height: 93mm
Loft: 48mm
Knot diameter: 20mm
Hair: Pure Badger
Handle: Mango (yes, from the fruit tree Wink) base and African Blackwood top, with a cyanoacrylic finish.

Assuming this brush goes over well, I intend to make more in several knot sizes and hair types.

If interested, please send me a PM to get things started.

Thanks much!

2 612
 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
User Info
Wow what an Amazing Offer Brad! This is definitely a Handle Design right up my alley with a knot size I really like!

46 1,102
 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice offer, and beautiful brush, Brad ... good luck!

102 18,652
 07-10-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
That's a gorgeous handle!

I'd offer to test one, but I don't get along very well with knots that narrow, so I'm not your best bet. But I'll be keeping an eye out to hear more about the line.

10 1,858
 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
User Info
Truly beautiful, Brad -- I love the grain in the mango wood in particular -- but I am going to hold the line on new acquisitions for the time being.

Again, I think there's something akin to the Japanese aesthetic in your work.

8 916
 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
PM Sent

4 2,762
 07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
Thanks much to all who responded, Gentlemen. We have a winner! Congrats to Shakamoto.

I have to say that I was delighted with your responses--and know that I wish I had more I could give away at that price, but my wife/accountant (SWMBO) would not be amused.

That said: I have four more in the works, two with the 20mm Pure Badger and two with 22mm TGN Grade A Silvertip. The 20mm brushes will be priced at $44.50, while the 22mm Silvertips are $64.50. Domestic shipping for either is $6.00. They should be done tomorrow.

2 612
 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Congratulations, Shakamoto!

102 18,652
 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 02:14 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote: Thanks much to all who responded, Gentlemen. We have a winner! Congrats to Shakamoto.

I have to say that I was delighted with your responses--and know that I wish I had more I could give away at that price, but my wife/accountant (SWMBO) would not be amused.

That said: I have four more in the works, two with the 20mm Pure Badger and two with 22mm TGN Grade A Silvertip. The 20mm brushes will be priced at $44.50, while the 22mm Silvertips are $64.50. Domestic shipping for either is $6.00. They should be done tomorrow.

You may want to wait for the feedback ..... 24

129 6,685
 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
User Info
Congratulations to the winner. I'll look forward to reading the review.

207 12,262
 07-10-2014, 09:03 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I'm anticipating a positive review! the handle and knot look great...especially the handle. My advice is it might be best to offer the handles and different knots(hair grade) separate from each other with an offer to glue the chosen knot upon request. Of course this allows handles to be purchased separate and a buyer's preferred knot can be bought and installed by the buyer. This will also allow you to not have a back-stock of handles with unpopular hair grade knots installed.

I'm of course assuming this isn't already your plan Huh, but from your post above it sounded to me like you were planning on offering totally complete brushes. Anyway an't wait to hear and see more of what you have to offer!

4 794
 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Wow, now that is an offer! It's a beautiful brush, too!

74 1,509
 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 09:03 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I'm anticipating a positive review! the handle and knot look great...especially the handle. My advice is it might be best to offer the handles and different knots(hair grade) separate from each other with an offer to glue the chosen knot upon request. Of course this allows handles to be purchased separate and a buyer's preferred knot can be bought and installed by the buyer. This will also allow you to not have a back-stock of handles with unpopular hair grade knots installed.

I'm of course assuming this isn't already your plan Huh, but from your post above it sounded to me like you were planning on offering totally complete brushes. Anyway an't wait to hear and see more of what you have to offer!

Now isn't THAT an idea! Lightbulb I'm planning to offer custom D.E. razor handles ("regular" and "heavy weights") to fit razors with a three-piece head with an M5 x 0.8 thread, but I hadn't even thought of doing something similar for shaving brushes. (Thank you!)

Anyway, I've completed two more brushes like the one above: one with the 20mm pure badger knot and the other with a 22mm TGN Grade A Silvertip. I have two more roughed-out, that I want to complete (hopefully today.)

I'm also planning on two more handle styles in this series, one slightly longer (like maybe 55mm vs. 45mm on this one) and perhaps one more in the 65mm - 70mm range. (Yes, I like long handles--but you guys already knew that Wink)

I'm getting ready for a show next weekend so I need to build up the inventory a bit. But with that said, if anyone wants just a handle to fit your own knot (or have me fit a special one for you, which might be a little cheaper since I get a bulk discount.) But either way, if you're interested, just drop me a PM and I'll do my best to make it happen.

BTW, in consideration for all you guys are teaching me, I'm offering a 10% discount to TSN members thru my Etsy.com shop. Just use coupon code "TSN10" at checkout.

2 612
 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
Thanks for the opportunity Brad. I'm interested in seeing what de handles you come out with. Maybe one to match this brush (hint)?

4 355
 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 11:05 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Thanks for the opportunity Brad. I'm interested in seeing what de handles you come out with. Maybe one to match this brush (hint)?

You're more than welcome, Sir. As far as a DE handle's concerned, that just might be a possibility. Cool

2 612
 08-06-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 11:05 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Thanks for the opportunity Brad. I'm interested in seeing what de handles you come out with. Maybe one to match this brush (hint)?

Sakamoto,
You won??? Bloody hell! You're really a fortunate guy.

13 1,313