07-10-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
It's that time again - I'm looking for your feedback.

This time it's about tubs. I'm feeling a bit less than totally confident about my supplier's ability to keep the current low profile double wall tubs in stock. And they're the only place I can find black ones.

Unfortunately, they're one of the few 4oz. tubs with a mouth wider than 70mm (2.75" or so). My other options are less ideal in terms of being much larger than necessary inside, or narrower for brush loading.

So, if you have a few minutes, I have a survey out at Survey Monkey, wondering what people think about their soap containers.

Please check out the Survey Monkey survey.

10 1,858
 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM
User Info
Survey complete. I put your soap in a wider/larger tub than the puck needs, makes it easy for me to load. In fact I am using it tonight.

31 1,800
 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
What about this supplier:
http://www.containerandpackaging.com/ite...fgod5RMAtA

I swear I saw more black low profile jars when I was looking. Catie's Bubbles uses a black jar IIRC. There has to be a replacement source.

9 3,025
 07-10-2014, 07:04 PM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 04:02 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: What about this supplier:

I swear I saw more black low profile jars when I was looking. Catie's Bubbles uses a black jar IIRC. There has to be a replacement source.

Catie's Bubbles uses a blue 8oz container. The one I was looking at using instead of the current one is actually the same, but in green.

The link you sent me is my supplier - they are currently unavailable. And that's what has me concerned. It's been six weeks or so, and I still have no firm date, though an online rep says "within a week."

10 1,858
 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've enjoyed the Catie's Bubbles containers. They seem solid, hold a lot of soap, and are easy to load from. They also have a flat lid, making them easy to stack. If the green is as attractive as their blue container, they should be very nice.

38 5,036
 07-10-2014, 09:20 PM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 07:04 PM)Songwind Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 04:02 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: What about this supplier:

Catie's Bubbles uses a blue 8oz container. The one I was looking at using instead of the current one is actually the same, but in green.

The link you sent me is my supplier - they are currently unavailable. And that's what has me concerned. It's been six weeks or so, and I still have no firm date, though an online rep says "within a week."

Hmmm, Sad

Well, papermart has 2.5" 4oz black ones. Not the same, I know.

9 3,025
 07-10-2014, 09:31 PM
User Info
Yep. Going down to the 2.5" sizes would make it very straightforward, but that's a bit snug for loading, particularly the bigger brushes.

That's why I asked such a range of questions on the survey, trying to get a feel for which aspects are most important to people.

10 1,858
 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM
User Info
(07-10-2014, 09:31 PM)Songwind Wrote: Yep. Going down to the 2.5" sizes would make it very straightforward, but that's a bit snug for loading, particularly the bigger brushes.

That's why I asked such a range of questions on the survey, trying to get a feel for which aspects are most important to people.

Gents have been using large brushes with smaller containers for a while anyway. I don't think a quarter of an inch would make that large of a difference.

Unfortunately I haven't used any of your soaps (yet), but the above black containers are VERY attractive.

6 229
 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
I've heard complaints from people saying small containers splay brushes. That's a valid concern, especially when soap runs low. Working hairs or bristles splayed and pressed against an edge could do serious damage, creasing and then breaking off bristles and hairs. Personally I've not had issue, if I can squeeze tips into mugs and get a loaded, that works for me but I could be the minority.

0 22
 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 07:44 AM)XP100 Wrote: I've heard complaints from people saying small containers splay brushes. That's a valid concern, especially when soap runs low. Working hairs or bristles splayed and pressed against an edge could do serious damage, creasing and then breaking off bristles and hairs. Personally I've not had issue, if I can squeeze tips into mugs and get a loaded, that works for me but I could be the minority.

My experience is like yours - but I like lots of small, quick movements.

But for sales, perception is reality. If people think they can't load properly from a small container they won't buy it, whether it turns out they were objectively correct or not.

10 1,858
 07-11-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
I personally really like the mouth width of the 6 oz containers, but that's a lot of product.

9 3,025
 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 08:34 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I personally really like the mouth width of the 6 oz containers, but that's a lot of product.

Which 6oz containers?

10 1,858
 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
(07-11-2014, 07:49 AM)Songwind Wrote: My experience is like yours - but I like lots of small, quick movements.

But for sales, perception is reality. If people think they can't load properly from a small container they won't buy it, whether it turns out they were objectively correct or not.

That's why I'd mentioned it, thinking while I'd have no issue I think you'd lose sales going with any container with a small mouth. I own just one Catie's Bubbles soap, my first and only, found the jar size about prefect but almost smallish. Been using RazoRock tubs for awhile and they're decent too. I also have the large 8oz tins from PPF and HTGAM and while they're certainly nice to load from they're also much wider than needed and slip from wet fingers too easily. Drop a half pound metal tin on a bare foot and realize quickly they're hazardous. Their 5oz tins fit better. Honestly, if you can get the same tubs CBs using in green I'd day go that route, not too tall and not too skinny but think they might be single wall PP instead of double wall. What's the purpose of a double-wall soap tub? Just curious. I got my first Dapper Dragon soap in yesterday's mail, a gift and it came in a 5oz tin that I now know my friend must have placed it into, even printed out a nice label and placed in the lid. Didn't realize it until visiting the website last night to find a description of Signature Scent Series and saw the tubs and refill pucks, no tins. I think a soap with Dragon in the name would look awesome in transparent green tubs the size of CBs blue tubs, I'd buy them! Didn't fill out the poll, didn't care for the questions, this is my take on it herein. Hope it helps.

0 22
 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 09:00 AM)XP100 Wrote: What's the purpose of a double-wall soap tub? Just curious.

Honestly, I think it's cosmetic + cost + weight - gives you the shape and size you see (which is nearly the same as the CB tubs, just shorter) but with the smaller, 4oz capacity. The double wall lets you have that differential but without that mass of solid plastic. Saves weight for shipping, and cost.

Quote:I got my first Dapper Dragon soap in yesterday's mail, a gift and it came in a 5oz tin that I now know my friend must have placed it into, even printed out a nice label and placed in the lid. Didn't realize it until visiting the website last night to find a description of Signature Scent Series and saw the tubs and refill pucks, no tins.

I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:I think a soap with Dragon in the name would look awesome in transparent green tubs the size of CBs blue tubs, I'd buy them! Didn't fill out the poll, didn't care for the questions, this is my take on it herein. Hope it helps.

It did help, thank you.

Comments are mostly reaffirming my own initial thoughts, but I like to make informed decisions.

10 1,858
 07-11-2014, 01:38 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Wonder what supplier Will is using for his soaps. I love his containers. They are big, but not huge, and very easy to load from. IMO anyway...

ahh...I do think his are single wall though...sorry...

18 1,186
 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 08:43 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 08:34 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I personally really like the mouth width of the 6 oz containers, but that's a lot of product.

Which 6oz containers?

Oh, I was looking at tins. I think they make low profile/shallow PET jars in 6oz too.

9 3,025
 07-11-2014, 03:44 PM
User Info
That's unfortunate, I happen to think your current jar size is perfect. I don't think I would mind a larger container that wasn't all the way full; it may be more headache for you but you could potentially offer two amounts of product in the same container: ie 4oz for x price, 6oz for y price. I love your product and certainly wouldn't mind having to purchase a larger quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 202
 07-11-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
Could also wrap the puck in paper or whatever the other artisan soapers use, and then include the jar as an add-on. Then when you sell the jar & soap, the soap looks complete.

9 3,025