07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
I know these things are handmade and all and I was going to be okay with not a perfect casting but has anyone else received a brand new cobra with a bunch of scratches? I took some pics and you can see the usually swirly polish marks but along the edges and mid way up the smooth side of the handle there is a TON of scratches. Also on the head there is two or three marks where it appears to be pitted. Like I said, I'll attach pics but it's really hard to catch them in a photograph. Amongst the light polishing marks which aren't a big deal you can really see a group about and inch or two long with all sorts of scratches like they rubbed a file on it before shipping or something. Also along the long edge of the handle.

[Image: 20140710_210409_zps24f6c285.jpg]
[Image: 20140710_210359_zpsde631ab5.jpg]
[Image: 20140710_210302_zps216d959d.jpg]

12 848
 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Did that come direct from Classic Shaving? That doesn't look anything like a new razor, that looks like one that's been used for quite a while.

47 1,923
 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Indeed hard to believe that this razor was send as new from a shop? If it was then get in contact with them and show the pictures.

28 1,442
 07-10-2014, 11:11 PM
User Info
It was indeed new. And to top it off, customs charged me just shy of $40 dollars as well. This picture shows them the best but for whatever reason the camera wants to just pick up the polishing marks more. This marks aren't from polishing they're a bunch of light scratches grouped together.

I just wanted to add that Classic Shaving has been good to deal with and I'll email them and hopefully get this cleared up, I just wanted to make sure from you guys that this wasn't normal as I have heard some talk about molds being old and such but this looks like a used razor to me. It's just a little disappointing after trying to get my hands on one for so many months and finally it arrives for my birthday and I unwrap it to find what I did.

[Image: 2014071sdf0_215814_zps5998a1b5.jpg]

I don't know if this is being nitpicky now but this imprint is not centered nor straight...

[Image: 20140711_003947_zpsb69065b9.jpg]

12 848
 07-11-2014, 12:33 AM
User Info
I purchased a cobra from Classic Shaving and the razor had zero scratches. Nothing like depicted in your photos. I hope your experience is one where they will work this situation through with you to your satisfaction. I believe they will strive to provide good customer service.

32 1,746
 07-11-2014, 03:23 AM
User Info
Given their increased prices, I would ask for a replacement too.
Mine is a year old and doesn't look like that.
I hope the resolve it quickly for you.

31 1,800
 07-11-2014, 04:25 AM
User Info
It's such a headache dealing with something like this from Canada, shipping it back and then getting dinged with another 40 in duty on a new one would get expensive. At the same time I've wanted one for ages and having it in my hand it feels even better than I had expected so I'd really like it to be mint so I could enjoy it more. I'm really careful with my shaving stuff so it bugs me that it came more scratched than it would likely ever get in my hands.

I emailed them, I'll see what they say. I has to have been a returned one that got mixed up or something, even the gift box it came was a bit scuffed up all around.

12 848
 07-11-2014, 08:27 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The scratches look to be superficial and likely can be polished out with a fine metals polish. Yes, it sucks having to polish it yourself, especially upon first seeing and handling it. The "GALCO" being caddywhompus…well, not much that can be done at this stage.

I received mine with some scratches and easily polished them out. The gift box allows for the top of the razor to rub against during transport which is how these scratches occurred. My King and original Cobras are not perfect. In fact, I call the imperfections "theft prevention measures" as I know the imperfections on each of my razors and would likely be able to identify mine from others. Wink

If you are looking for perfection in quality control and manufacturing, then you will undergo the initial disappointment as also did; these are handmade with slight differences in each razor. If you are not looking for your money back and returning the razor, you might as well open the blades and try it out because the Cobra is definitely all about the shave. If they exchange the razor then you at least you've shortened the wait regarding the initial shave(s).

Good luck and I hope the resolve is to your satisfaction...because that does matter.

13 611
 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
I'm just heading out for a weekend get away but I'd love to know what you used to polish it and what your process was. They offered to replace it when they get more in a couple weeks but also added "most people wouldn't be bothered by it". Dodgy

12 848
 07-11-2014, 01:51 PM
User Info
In my opinion, you should not keep it. Period. For that price, they should be bending over backwards to satisfy you. They sent you a returned/used razor.

39 3,918
 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your Cobra, I hope you get it sorted. I really want to buy one but I am getting a little hacked off with the limited stock the high price, sold out within 30 mins etc and the general hipe, the marketing is really good keep everyone wanting. I hope some else comes to the market with a razor,and gives some competition to the Cobra. IMHO of course.

0 100
 07-11-2014, 03:29 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-11-2014, 01:48 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I'm just heading out for a weekend get away but I'd love to know what you used to polish it and what your process was. They offered to replace it when they get more in a couple weeks but also added "most people wouldn't be bothered by it". Dodgy
I use Happich Simichrome Polish, and Classic actually sells it. I've been using Simichrome for three decades, long before I even knew about Classic Shaving. I buy in tube versus can form and like it because I've found tubes over a decade old in the back of drawers and it's still good. If you do buy some search around; motorcycles shops sometimes carry it. Get yourself an old 100% cotton T-shirt and go to it. It's an excellent product that you'll use around the house and vehicles.

(07-11-2014, 02:01 PM)Stevie17 Wrote: I hope some else comes to the market with a razor,and gives some competition to the Cobra. IMHO of course.
I used to think the same thing, but this a niche market to be sure. I don't believe that Classic Shaving makes all that much money on these razors if you start to breakdown all the costs involved. Even the producers of the HuntLee mentioned the cost just to get into the game is/was a stumbling block. People wanting Feather to jump into the game...well, I have experience with the core workings of Japanese corporations and Feather (from what I've gathered) is a conservative company. For Feather to start producing they will overanalyze absolutely everything involved to the point of being absurd; they will likely see the market is not large or predictable enough for them to enter it; if they did enter you would get yet another almost perfectly produced razor that is remiss of any character; sure, I might eat my words tomorrow if they do—but I doubt it.

13 611
 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM
User Info
Good luck, Shane!

82 21,077
 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
User Info
a real disappointment Shane ! hope you get a replacement.

1 495
 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 01:51 PM)primotenore Wrote: They sent you a returned/used razor.

Unfortunately, it looks like that could be the case. The razor looks like my Cobra that is also scratched, but I put them there.

As for Classic's response I have to agree it is a bit disheartening. It reminds me of when Ben bought a Cobra with flawed, jagged plating and was told it was by design. They should have simply offered to replace it without the added comments that you, unlike most people, were seemingly being overly sensitive.

61 487
 07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Perhaps a partial refund? I'd pay a discounted price for that razor if they told me upfront that it was a returned/used item. So maybe they give you a partial refund (or store credit) and you have a razor that you might be able to buff to almost new, and they aren't out too much money, and you both are happy.

Just a suggestion. Something you might mention to them. Probably something they should offer up front actually.

18 1,186
 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM
User Info
They're saying it was in fact a new razor. As per the email:

"Hi Shane,

So, that really was the best one in house, and it was not a return. We have two now in the office. The shine on the back is smooth and pretty free of scratches but there are some tiny pits on the underside near the blade mechanism. Most people wouldn’t be bothered and it would be cleared for shipping."

(07-11-2014, 03:29 PM)Entasis Wrote: I use Happich Simichrome Polish, and Classic actually sells it. I've been using Simichrome for three decades, long before I even knew about Classic Shaving. I buy in tube versus can form and like it because I've found tubes over a decade old in the back of drawers and it's still good. If you do buy some search around; motorcycles shops sometimes carry it. Get yourself an old 100% cotton T-shirt and go to it. It's an excellent product that you'll use around the house and vehicles.

With the simichrome and a tshirt you can buff out light surface scratching? or is it more to clean and make it shine? I just feel like I'm so careful with my stuff that it would never get that bad in my ownership so I'd like it to reflect that condition.

(07-11-2014, 06:14 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Perhaps a partial refund? I'd pay a discounted price for that razor if they told me upfront that it was a returned/used item. So maybe they give you a partial refund (or store credit) and you have a razor that you might be able to buff to almost new, and they aren't out too much money, and you both are happy.

Just a suggestion. Something you might mention to them. Probably something they should offer up front actually.

They did offer to replace it in 2 weeks when they had more if I wanted. That could potentially cost me another ~$60 to send it back and get charged a second time for duties.

12 848
 07-14-2014, 11:52 PM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
Their email response sounds disappointing. 'Most people wouldn't be bothered' comes across as a bit condescending and for something that costs that much I would expect better QC and service.

0 105
 07-15-2014, 01:12 AM
User Info
(07-14-2014, 11:52 PM)Lb1 Wrote: Their email response sounds disappointing. 'Most people wouldn't be bothered' comes across as a bit condescending and for something that costs that much I would expect better QC and service.
Yah... I was hoping that I was just misunderstanding what they were trying to say there, but apparently that's not the case given you understood it the same way as I did.

Also, I wonder about the pitting. Is that not a good starting point for rust to start forming sooner than later? And am I just being anal about the logo on the bottom being angled and off centre?

I'd like to hear from the all the other cobra owners on if theirs came in similar or better condition when they received theirs. It seems people are a little scared to get into it....

12 848
 07-15-2014, 04:35 AM
User Info
(07-14-2014, 11:52 PM)Lb1 Wrote: Their email response sounds disappointing. 'Most people wouldn't be bothered' comes across as a bit condescending and for something that costs that much I would expect better QC and service.

A big PLUS 1 here...
I wouldn't let this custom service and QC slide even for a $15 Weishi...Much less for an expensive razor like the Cobra.
Sales and business is all about pleasing the customer. When you do that, the end result is more sales and a thriving business.

8 159