07-10-2014, 09:56 PM
User Info
I am wondering how you guys store your artisan soaps and do you leave them Covered or Uncovered after the shave? I have noticed my pucks are Shrinking in no time and I want to know if this is happening to anyone else.

I rinse my puck with water and then I start loading with a wet brush and lately just lathering on the puck (which I think I'm going to stop doing). after the shave, I rinse the excess soap off the top of the puck and let it dry for about 15 minutes, and finally cover it back up with an air tight lid.

Is there water that's making its why inside the soap and down to the bottom of the bowl causing this unfortunate situation?

And if the puck is still wet when covered, can that make the soap shrink in no time? What is the best way to store our Artisan soaps?

46 1,102
 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM
User Info
No need to rinse the puck. The foam that is on there is soap. I load my brush, then let the puck sit open until I finish my shave. I take my towel and remove any suds from around the outside and put the top back on. Store it covered in my cabinet.

No issues doing this, and the scents seem to stay just fine. I know everyone does it differently, but this is how I've been doing it and it seems to work for me.

21 555
 07-11-2014, 07:03 AM
User Info
Shrinking pucks are generally a result of water loss.

In addition, every time you rinse a puck of soap, a little bit of soap mixes with the water and gets washed away.

Here's how I handle all my soaps:

1. I store them in a closed container.
2. Load with a damp (badger) or wet (boar) brush
3. Finish lather building on my face on in scuttle
4. Clean outside of soap dish
5. Leave soap to sit, uncapped overnight (if I shave in the evening) or while I'm at work (morning shave.)
6. Re-cap soap.

I don't bother rinsing the lather residue off, it will just become part of the next batch.

10 1,858
 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
User Info
I have been using artisanal shaving soaps for almost three years, now, and when I load my brush on the puck for 30-45 seconds, I then place the lid back on the container right after I clean any soap residue that may have found its way onto the outside of the container. I have never had any issues with any of my soaps. You don't have to rinse the soap.
Good luck. Smile

83 21,109
 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
I do the same as Brian and Celestino mentioned, no issues here either.

31 1,800
 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 06:25 AM)BriDroid Wrote: No need to rinse the puck. The foam that is on there is soap. I load my brush, then let the puck sit open until I finish my shave. I take my towel and remove any suds from around the outside and put the top back on. Store it covered in my cabinet.

No issues doing this, and the scents seem to stay just fine. I know everyone does it differently, but this is how I've been doing it and it seems to work for me.
+1...

8 159
 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
All of my artisan soaps came in containers with screw-on tops so I do not have an issue with the soap drying out. After the shave, I leave any residual soap in the tub, cap it, and wipe it off.

22 764
 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I can't stand to open the jar and see suds all over the top of the puck or soap, so I usually scrape it off and put it on the brush or my face (if face lathering) to get the top as clean as possible. I leave it uncapped until the end of my shave, about 20 minutes, then cap it and put it away.

Oh and the only soap I've ever noticed a change in is MWF. Other than that, I've never noticed a change in any of my soaps using this method.

18 1,186
 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I handle my soaps the same way as Eric. I always shave in the morning, and leave the soap uncapped until I get home from work. I started doing this after MdC recommended not capping their soaps after use, and in fact, always leaving them uncapped. It sounds like either capping immediately, or letting the soap dry for a few hours, has worked for people.

38 5,196
 07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
Thank you for all the replies everyone! I will start doing what everyone has suggested. I actually used to just leave the soap residue on top of the puck and close the lid but recently I have been washing it off.

I will stop washing it off since that is just adding a ton more water to the puck. Sometimes its hard to get it completely clean so it takes extra water to rinse off all the soap residue left on the puck. This is probably why my soaps are shrinking so fast.

46 1,102
 07-12-2014, 05:01 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I never rinse my soaps. I do wipe up as much as I can when loading.

Currently the only soap in my collection that remains uncovered is MdC in the "brain" bowl. I found it actually benefited with exposure as the once potent fragrance is now subtle and more to my liking.

99 18,011
 07-12-2014, 05:16 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 07:39 AM)celestino Wrote: . . .when I load my brush on the puck for 30-45 seconds, I then place the lid back on the container right after I clean any soap residue that may have found its way onto the outside of the container. I have never had any issues with any of my soaps. You don't have to rinse the soap.
Good luck. Smile

I follow the same sequence as Celestino. Rich lather with no issues over time.

32 1,749
 07-12-2014, 06:08 AM
User Info
I leave my soap uncapped for an extended period of time after my shave, as Eric and Richard do, it seems to work for me. I am curious though, are you thoroughly compressing the puck into your container so that no water can seep down the sides and get below the puck ? If not, it would be like leaving a bar of soap in a non-aerated dish and cause the soap to soften while sitting in a moist environment, causing it to deteriorate at a faster rate. Just a thought.

96 2,592