07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I've been shopping. Blush

From The Goulet Pen Co., I thought I'd just order a dot pad, as I asked about in another thread. Of course, some serious ADs kicked in from all over.

From the Goulets, two Rhodia Dot Pads, a sheet of Micro-mesh to help smooth nibs, and a Pilot Metropolitan pen with a fine nib (barrel and cap are metal).

From Speerbob on eBay, a Pilot Crystal pen with a fine nib (barrel and cap are resin).

From Levenger's store in Chicago, while visiting that great city, a Levenger L-Tech Stealth Plus pen with a fine nib and a stylus (barrel and cap are brass).

The dot pads are everything wonderful that posters in my other thread said they would be. I may be looking to get the larger pad soon.

To be frank, I was disappointed in the Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib but I usually don't care for medium nibs to begin with. Because Metropolitans are so affordable ($15.00) I decided to see how I like the fine nib. It gets very good reviews.

Speerbob is an eBay seller and I have purchased from him several times in the past. I have never been disappointed with the pens I have purchased from him or his service. The Pilot Crystal demonstrator with the gold tone accents just caught my eye and, besides, I'm a sucker for demonstrators in general. For $12.99 it was worth taking a chance to see how this might be for an everyday carry (EDC).

I noticed the Levenger L-Tech Stealth with stylus quite some time ago but I was not willing to pay the original price of $89.00. That is because that while the reviews were generally good there were a few that gave me pause. However, when in their shop in Chicago (which is actually located in the Macy's in the Loop) I was able to get a hands on with it. I loved the style, I got to dip the pen and the nib seemed quite smooth, and the stylus was just a great plus for when I use my iPad. I was hemming and hawing when the salesman said that they were on sale for $49.00 because they were going to be changing or dropping this particular model soon. I figured, "What the heck, go for it." At the cash register, the salesman discovered that there was an additional 15% off so I got the pen for $41.65.

I am looking forward to giving all of the pens a workout as soon as a couple of pens currently in use run out of ink. At that time I'll take those out of rotation and put the new ones in.

[Image: 0LSpM9U.jpg]
Pens (top to bottom): Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot Crystal, Levenger L-Tech Stealth

[Image: COeF315.jpg]
Pilot Metropolitan, boxed

[Image: 9LuBO4K.jpg]
Pilot Metropolitan, capped

[Image: FAEWD2R.jpg]
Pilot Metropolitan, posted

[Image: X6tMRtQ.jpg]
Pilot Crystal, capped

[Image: DzZ6rwL.jpg]
Pilot Crystal, posted

[Image: woqnDhK.jpg]
Levenger L-Tech, boxed

[Image: 1XQlTZl.jpg]
Levenger L-Tech, capped

[Image: lYXurYK.jpg]
Levenger L-Tech, posted

2 11,211
 07-11-2014, 12:46 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I was wondering how long it would take you to try one of the Metropolitans once the Goulets added the fine nib...Can't want to hear what you think.

I guess I'm gonna have to grab one of these dot pads for my next notebook.

Congrats on your purchases Freddy. Enjoy...

18 1,186
 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks, Clinton. I'm not sure which ADs are worse, wet shaving or fountain pen/stationery. Rolleyes

2 11,211
 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
Nice haul, Freddy! Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
You're on fire, Freddy. Enjoy!

0 1,137
 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
I have been using the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) with Waterman Havana (now Absolute Brown) ink. I like this pen so much more than the Metropolitan with a medium nib, which I also own. It is a smooth writer with a line that is more EF than F, in my opinion. Ink flow is smooth and consistent. For $15.00 this metal barrel and cap pen is a bargain.

2 11,211
 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
Looks like some great stuff! I'm waiting to see how the Levenger pen works out for you. I've been tempted but have held off on one.

1 346
 07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
User Info
Nice haul! Back to brown inks I seeBiggrin

Phil

7 363
 07-18-2014, 02:05 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(07-18-2014, 11:52 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Nice haul! Back to brown inks I seeBiggrin

Phil

Never really left, Phil, but have so many inks that I'm pulled in a bunch of directions at once when it's time to fill one of my pens. Rolleyes

2 11,211
 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Sorry to hear the Metropolitan didn't work out for you. It sure is a nice looking pen though! Nice haul Freddy!

1 608
 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Luke, my original Metropolitan with a medium nib was pretty bad. However, the one here with a fine nib is superb and I am very pleased with it.

2 11,211
 07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
You have been shopping, Freddy! Enjoy your new pens and dot pads.

(I'll need to check out the dot pads. Are the pages perforated for removal from the pad?)

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(07-23-2014, 07:56 PM)CMur12 Wrote: You have been shopping, Freddy! Enjoy your new pens and dot pads.

(I'll need to check out the dot pads. Are the pages perforated for removal from the pad?)

- Murray

Yes, Murray, on this style of Rhodia pad, the pages are micro-perforated and very easy to remove.

2 11,211