07-12-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
Curious which soaps you love that don't get much air time here, or on other shave sites for that matter.

For me its Hardy Shave Products Citrus Basil (scent is unfortunately discontinued) - fantastic cushion & glide, great scent, and quite affordable. Shaved with it this morning again, right-up there with my other top soaps!

52 1,175
 07-12-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
Êshave. Fantastic soap, terribly underrated.

Also, Provence santé

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 07-12-2014, 05:33 AM
User Info
Calani, one of the best soaps I've used. It doesn't get talked about much on US forums, nor is it carried by any North American vendors that I'm aware of. Our European members probably have more experience with this unbelievable soap. If you get a chance to try it, you should.

95 2,586
 07-12-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
(07-12-2014, 05:33 AM)Jmartz Wrote: Calani, one of the best soaps I've used. It doesn't get talked about much on US forums, nor is it carried by any North American vendors that I'm aware of. Our European members probably have more experience with this unbelievable soap. If you get a chance to try it, you should.

Heard of it, But never experienced.

46 1,102
 07-12-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
I have the Oriental Plum, and love it! Its actually on deck for tomorrow.

(07-12-2014, 05:33 AM)Jmartz Wrote: Calani, one of the best soaps I've used. It doesn't get talked about much on US forums, nor is it carried by any North American vendors that I'm aware of. Our European members probably have more experience with this unbelievable soap. If you get a chance to try it, you should.

52 1,175
 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
TFS is top shelf, on par if not better than MDC and LPL in my opinion.

6 808
 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
 07-12-2014, 10:32 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
+1 on Calani! Fantastic soap, and while I see it mentioned occasionally, I still don't think it gets the attention it deserves for its performance.

34 1,628
 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'll have to agree that Calani is a terrific soap that is rarely discussed.

38 5,030
 07-12-2014, 02:55 PM
User Info
Beer Soap Brewing Company shave soaps, both the original tallow version and the excellent new veggie soaps. These are really nice soaps, but it seems that not many gents have tried them.

They are competitively priced. More guys should try them.

2 1,390
 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM
User Info
(07-12-2014, 02:55 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Beer Soap Brewing Company shave soaps, both the original tallow version and the excellent new veggie soaps. These are really nice soaps, but it seems that not many gents have tried them.

I've got some samples on the way. I've heard some really great thing about this soap, so I am pretty exited to try it out.

6 36
 07-12-2014, 06:01 PM
User Info
(07-12-2014, 02:55 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Beer Soap Brewing Company shave soaps, both the original tallow version and the excellent new veggie soaps. These are really nice soaps, but it seems that not many gents have tried them.

I think I may be the only person to have completed an entire puck of BSBC from start to finish. Once you realize how thirsty it is, and add a lot more water than usual, it provides KILLER shaves. It was a joy to use. Fantastic scent and performance.

12 715
 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
The artisan soaps I've used are terrific, and they often fly under the radar. I think these people hear the complaints about mainstream soaps and creams and are driven to come up with something better. It is a labor of love for them.

I don't have to work hard to create and maintain lather, and the reason is probably because they don't cut corners.

0 284
 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM
User Info
Palmolive stick. It's one of my favorites. It has fantastic slickness, cushion, and skincare. I wish it was available in brick and mortar stores stateside.

2 396
 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Institut Karite, Wilkinson's Sword stick, QED. There are a lot of really good under the radar brands out there.

0 1,137
 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
(07-14-2014, 02:33 PM)Elendil Wrote: Institut Karite, Wilkinson's Sword stick, QED. There are a lot of really good under the radar brands out there.

I've got a puck of the Institut Karite that I have not tried yet. Love the smell, just fresh and clean. This makes me want to break it out and get using it. I was thinking about a french themed week, maybe next week would be good for that!

6 36
 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Alvarez Gomez cream, Esbjerg cream, and (of course) the new Acqua di Parma.

I have the Esbjerg Grapefruit, and it is wonderful. Light, refreshing, natural scent. EXCELLENT performance, incredibly moist (won't dry, even here in the desert) and great protection. You load the brush in the cream tub, with a pretty good amount of water, because the surface tension on the product is quite resilient (very FIRM cream). If done correctly (basically, a time and water issue), you are rewarded with a fine yogurt.

Alvarez Gomez is definitely a summer scent. Reminds me of a rum drink, minus the alcohol. Sweet, coconut, sugary, tropical… plus a little citrus (lemon, I believe). Seriously, my mouth actually drools when I smell it, and I WANT to take a bite, but have snapped out of it every time so far. Excellent, excellent performance. Top-notch.

Acqua di Parma (new) is my favorite currently available product. Performance-wise, I don't think even the mighty Castle Forbes comes close. And I probably use a pea-size amount. This stuff is rich and lathers like crazy. Slick as you want and a perfect cushion. Peerless, at current, IMO. Worth every last penny.

57 2,545
 07-15-2014, 02:25 AM
User Info
Haslinger?

I loved the performance of the Sandalwood and have only heard great things about the Schafmilch

0 47
 07-15-2014, 02:27 AM
User Info
I really want to try Haslinger! I forgot about that soap.

12 715
 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have recently tried Petal Pusher Fancies soaps and I love them. These are a sister company of How To Grow a Mustache. They are all vegan soaps, reasonably priced and scents are fantastic. Performance is first rate as well. I do not miss tallow in these soaps. I don't see much talk about them. so far I have tried Neroli, which is one of my favorites and Oakmoss and Sage, which is very subtle, but wonderful. Performance of both is amazing. Fairly thirsty soap and provides incredible skin care after the shave.

I would really like to try some of the soaps mentioned above in the thread. Haslinger, Calani, Beer Soap, etc.

Great thread!

26 1,736