07-12-2014, 01:30 PM
User Info
OK, so it's time to get a horse mix into my den. Since I really only buy LE brushes and there are none which fit that bill, I am looking at the 2 Special Edition brushes Phil has in stock. The 2014 Lord Randall and the 2013 Beehive.

My preferences in brushes is 2 band badgers. Blonde badger, M&F/Rooney Finest, Simpson or Semogue etc....

So which loft is better suited to help be more comparable to one of those?

2013 Beehive 25/52
2014 Lord Randall 23/53

Neither handle really does anything for me, but between the two, the Randall is probably preferred. But I would think the knot specs would push me toward the beehive.

Anyone out there with a helpful point of reference for me?

129 6,685
 07-12-2014, 02:36 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have both the J.L. Petree..(23 knot/48 loft/47 handle)and the Beehive (24 knot/52 loft/50 handle) and these 2 are my all around favorites..quite effective and both are great lather producers with perfect mix of scritch and softness...I think they were $35 and $50....quite a bargain ..plus they come with the VIE-LONG holder.(didn,t like the Randall handle at all)

6 2,048
 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM
User Info
I purchased the Lord Randal in the white, brown and mixed versions. I wanted to try all three so I would get a good sense for horse hair brushes. I found that the mixed has more scritch than either the white or brown horse hair. Perhaps this is due to the grade of the badger hair used in the mixed brush. Given your preferences in brushes, I think you may not like the mixed knot. However, I know you need to try one, just like I did.

51 6,444