07-13-2014, 07:25 PM
User Info
I am in love with SE shaving. I have an MMOC, ER 1924, and G-bar.

I have been using my SE's for the past couple weeks and let me tell you, I've gotten such smooth, close, comfortable shaves with it that I might have a hard time going back to my DE's.

I think the G-bar shaves the best closely followed by the 1924 and then the MMOC. The weight of the G-bar is awesome and it has the perfect amount of aggressiveness.

2 396
 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Well, you'll get no argument from any of the LOSERS (Lover Of Single Edge Razors) on this forum!

IMO, you're in good company.

32 6,445
 07-14-2014, 02:16 AM
User Info
(07-13-2014, 07:25 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: I am in love with SE shaving. I have an MMOC, ER 1924, and G-bar.

I have been using my SE's for the past couple weeks and let me tell you, I've gotten such smooth, close, comfortable shaves with it that I might have a hard time going back to my DE's.

I think the G-bar shaves the best closely followed by the 1924 and then the MMOC. The weight of the G-bar is awesome and it has the perfect amount of aggressiveness.

Welcome to the club!

SE have been a pleasant surprise for me also.
They provide smooth yet effective shaves, and gear is easy to acquire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 655
 07-14-2014, 04:29 AM
User Info
Ah, welcome to the dark side ;-)

37 404
 07-14-2014, 04:46 AM
User Info
Ssssshhhhhhhhh ! Don't tell anyone Wink

6 1,224
 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I get fine shaves with both SEs and DEs and just enjoy variety. The only SE I would send to the scrap heap is an open comb Micromatic, also known as the Slice & Dice Special. Of course, there are some who love that beast so, as always, YMMV.

2 11,211
 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM
User Info
Just wait till you try out injectors.

4 952
 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
(07-14-2014, 07:50 AM)freddy Wrote: I get fine shaves with both SEs and DEs and just enjoy variety. The only SE I would send to the scrap heap is an open comb Micromatic, also known as the Slice & Dice Special. Of course, there are some who love that beast so, as always, YMMV.

ugh, I had to stop in the middle of my shave when I was using the MMOC to switch to something more mild.

40 5,830
 07-14-2014, 07:35 PM
User Info
Then there is at least one gent, new to blade shaving, and for his first razor, after cartridges no less(!), his dad gave him an OCMM. No words of warning, just blades and the razor given. I was horrified, but the kid loves it! Says he never got a better shave.

32 6,445
 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
Get an Ever Ready 1914, mow that's a single edge razor...

6 808
 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
Gents,
What's a good starting SE razor? And what makes it so different from just using one side of a DE? The weight? The angle? The panache? Wink
Really, I am uninformed.

~~~~
Primo

39 3,877
 07-15-2014, 02:17 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
There are many different reasons for using an SE. For one, the blade is thicker and less flexible than a DE blade so the shave will feel different. The angle to hold the razor for a good shave can also be quite different than with a traditional DE.

There is the panache, to be sure. Also, using a lather catcher style SE that is more than 100 years old really gets me to think of the history of shaving and, especially, the history of the particular razor I'm using. I sometimes wonder how many and who owned the razor before I. Where did it live, Brooklyn, San Francisco, Toronto, etc. with former owners?

Obviously, there are many different styles and ages of SE razors and, just like DEs, each has its own quirks and wonders.

Here is my favorite lather catcher SE razor:

[Image: 6rxYALW.jpg] [Image: OlcRtqH.jpg]

A great SE to try if you're new to them is a Schick Injector. I have the E model that is supposed to be one of the more aggressive. However, I get great BBS shaves with it and Chinese Schick Injector blades which can be purchased here: http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_r...6GBHVek%3D. The razors can usually be found on eBay. Here is mine:

[Image: AsfKOmJ.jpg]

Like so many pieces of hardware (and software) in shaving, there are many many SE razors to choose from and all will have their advocates.

2 11,211
 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
Those are really terrific razors. I cannot see how the blade is inserted in the lather catcher.
My nostalgia for wet shaving hasn't yet entered the classic hardware phase. It is fascinating. I vaguely recall shaving with an injector razor in the 70's.
It's interesting how we yearn for what was...

39 3,877
 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Primo, a traditional SE blade will slide under the "guides" on either side of the head of the lather catcher. Though hard to see in the photograph, there are two "stubs" at the end of the razor head to stop the razor from sliding any farther. The round knob on the back of the head is then lifted and locks the blade in place. My guess is that these razors may have used a wedge blade, rather than the SE blade we recognize today. Wedge blades were honed and stropped and were meant to be reused for a long time.

2 11,211
 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM
User Info
Primo, what do you like in a DE razor? Aggressive, mid aggressive, not aggressive, what?

32 6,445
 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
User Info
Welcome to the wonderful world of SE shaving. Better be careful though, before you know it you might end up with a few dozen SE's, they do tend to multiply.

67 2,170
 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM
User Info
(07-15-2014, 09:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Primo, what do you like in a DE razor? Aggressive, mid aggressive, not aggressive, what?

Good question.
If I miss a day, I usually reach for my 37C or my R41, however, my favorite all-around razor is my Feather AS-D2. I can really get a great shave without irritation.

39 3,877
 07-16-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
[Edit: Dang! I just realized we hijacked MBFs thread! Sorry MBF! Primo, if you need more info let's start another thread. Or, can a mod' select (cut) the posts and create another thread out of them? Maybe the software allows it?]

Never having used a 37C or a AS-D2, and not knowing which R41 I can't be of much help suggesting anything.

But maybe you can relate what I'll write to what you use. The very mildest SE razor I've ever used is the GEM Jr Bar (not to be confused with the GEM 1912 Jr). That's about as mild as a SE razor gets but there aren't a lot of them out there. Next step up would be the Contour, G-Bar, and Featherweight. Those would be somewhat like a Gillette adjustable set to 3 or 4 or low mid aggressive. After that it's a toss up, the EverReady '14, the GEM Damaskeene could be seen as another step up in aggressiveness, but not wildly so. If you're interested in even more aggressive I can go there, but you asked for starter SE razors.

OK, now that having been written my buddy just gave his son his first bladed razor ever, a GEM OCMM. I was appalled and told him so. It wouldn't be a mild beginners razor in anyone's book! Yet the kid loves the thing and hasn't seen blood. (Yes, he has a blade in it.Biggrin That was my question too. )

OK, what makes them different? Freddy wrote some of it. The blade is much stiffer and cuts hair differently. Better I think. The blades also give longer life, I suspect because they don't bend and grab the skin as a DE blade will when it gets dull. I have NEVER seen blood because of a dull blade; they just stop cutting efficiently. Then there is the sound. The razor will tell you just by the sound when its working efficiently and the angle is right. One gets to love that sound of butter being spread on toast as the whiskers are cut. OK, and lastly (for this paragraph) what razor is a nicer piece of artwork than a lather catcher? Of course not all SE razors are LCs.

I can use the most aggressive SE razors out there for an incredibly easy BBS without the (I'm searching for the word) "fear" that comes with using an '11 R41 (just to throw out a DE model). I like the '11 R41, but it's definitely more difficult to use than a comparable SE razor that yields the same shave. I can wield the GEM OCMM around my face like a sports car, and the '11 R41 I must take far more care to use. The shave from either razor is just as long lasting.

Then there is the build. A vintage SE razor is made from plated brass generally, there are some exceptions however. Plated brass is almost as good as SS for longevity. If the plating wears, and vintage razors will display this, it's easy to get them replated. Brass doesn't rust or corrode from normal use once exposed. A modern razor once the plating is worn through will expose the zinc pot metal and zinc corrodes fairly easily. Exceptions to that also since some are SS .

32 6,445