07-14-2014, 01:08 AM
User Info
Hello all,

i have recently purchased couple of straights from Wingdo, i have been DE shaving for over a year now and would like to try the straights, i know it will take time but all advice will be appreciated, also i have got the First Aid box on standby.

Thanks

3 71
 07-14-2014, 02:41 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Go slow and have patience, it will take a bit to get comfortable with using/holding a straight. Only do WTG, even just your cheek at the start. Watch the blade angle, for WTG about 2 spine widths gap between face and spine seems to be a good starting point. The angle used decreases in the XTG and ATG passes. Use very light/no pressure on the blade and short strokes. Try and relax and enjoy the experience.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
If you have a difficult beard, you will need to make sure your prep is the best it can be. Straights are not as sharp as most DE, SE, or shavette blades. If you have a medium or soft beard, a sharp straight will do a good job. In any case, work on your prep.

19 566
 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM
User Info
Watch lots of videos on YouTube. You can also find videos in the wiki section of straightrazorplace.

Use a light touch, as low angle as will cut the beard, start with just the sideburn and cheeks. Stick to WTG for a while. Stick to 2 to 3 passes at most. Wet lather. Stretch the skin.

Here's a good guy to copy.

21 1,668
 07-15-2014, 06:49 AM
User Info
(07-15-2014, 05:59 AM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Watch lots of videos on YouTube. You can also find videos in the wiki section of straightrazorplace.

Use a light touch, as low angle as will cut the beard, start with just the sideburn and cheeks. Stick to WTG for a while. Stick to 2 to 3 passes at most. Wet lather. Stretch the skin.

Here's a good guy to copy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg
Many thanks to all

3 71
 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
Patience and practice! Best of luck! Smile

82 21,077
 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
I've written several posts about it that can be found here:

http://www.asharperrazor.com/tutorials

The only big thing to add to the above comments would be to make sure your razor is shave ready and start with a low angle and increase it as necessary, not the other way around.

9 3,036
 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Good advice above. I would also say stretch the skin with the offhand, puff out your cheeks and pull your mouth to either side. Do whatever you need to do to keep the skin flat and tight. That will help you avoid nicks and cuts. A very shallow angle and a light touch is also paramount, as has already been mentioned.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
I have been finding that when I first start the razor cuts the beard easily but after a few minutes it drags and seems to feel blunt but it's not, am I doing something wrong, this is the third time I had to finish with a DE or the Feather DX

3 71
 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(07-16-2014, 10:44 AM)khalito Wrote: I have been finding that when I first start the razor cuts the beard easily but after a few minutes it drags and seems to feel blunt but it's not, am I doing something wrong, this is the third time I had to finish with a DE or the Feather DX

Likely your angle changing. Keep it consistantly shallow. One spine width from your face and use a consistant stroke.

14 871
 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
User Info
(07-16-2014, 10:54 AM)Attila Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 10:44 AM)khalito Wrote: I have been finding that when I first start the razor cuts the beard easily but after a few minutes it drags and seems to feel blunt but it's not, am I doing something wrong, this is the third time I had to finish with a DE or the Feather DX

Likely your angle changing. Keep it consistantly shallow. One spine width from your face and use a consistant stroke.

Thank you Attila I will pay more attention to that, this straight shaving is tough but hopefully worth it in the long run, 3 shaves and 97 to go

Many many thanks to all you gents for the help and advice towards my step by step journey to straight shaving

3 71
 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
One of the items to watch out for when first starting out is the fact you shave far more slowly when learning than you do with your DE. This leaves soap exposed on your face for far longer periods of time, water evaporates and the soap becomes drier. This adversely affects the slickness of the lather, and therefore the blade will "drag" more.

Try only putting lather on the area you are shaving and once one cheek is done, then lather the other.

129 6,685
 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM
User Info
^this.

Also, learn how to strop. It'll make or break the whole experience.

3 153