07-16-2014, 03:10 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Three weeks ago I saw a listing on the bay for a "defective Finest 2-band shaving Brush" from China that was dirt cheap - less than $10 shipped, so I bought it. It came 6-days ago and is nothing special to look at just a plain whitish / yellow handle with a huge chip out of one side, with a stinky 24mm knot and a (no joke) 15mm Glue bump...the loft was long at 60, but is really only 45 mm with that plug they put the knot in.

The bristle feels prickly to the touch when dry, yeah I thought I would chuck it and chock it up to experience... but my wife said that if I threw it away I would be cut-off from my expense account...lol. So I washed it in Dawn and gave it a proper chance - Pens Sartorial and all.

You know what? I've reached for it every day since...no idea how or why but this poorly made eyesore of a monstrosity actually is a lather machine! I can't believe it...it is not dense, it has a huge crack in it, the glue bump / plug seems half the knot high, but the scrubby hair they used makes good lather...and it gives it up super easily!

I feel almost foolish now for wanting to toss it. On my face the loaded hair feels like the first M&F brush I ever got, and the short loft from the glue plug reminds me of the First Rooney I every had - a 1/1. Even the scritch feels like the Rooney Finest I foolishly sold so many years ago. If these guys could get over their horribly cracked handles and giant hideous glue plug, they just might be contenders!

I won't post the link as it's an ongoing auction, but the phrase above will let you find them, nonetheless.

Anyone have any similar experiences with these ugly defective brushes?

74 1,510
 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Matt, you know what they say... "Pics or it didn't happen!" Tongue

99 18,011
 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM
User Info
(07-16-2014, 04:36 PM)ben74 Wrote: Matt, you know what they say... "Pics or it didn't happen!" Tongue

+1 I really want to see this brush, now! Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-16-2014, 06:55 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
My first badger was a cheap LiJun in finest 2band, 22mm, with a ugly black rubberish handle.

Until him, i had only boars, and in the first use i tought; Man! If a cheap chinese badger brush is this good, imagine a expensive european/american one.

Several badgers later, the answer is (IMO); not that much better, altough they're obviously better made.

I still have that cheapo chinese knot, transfered to a Ever-Ready 200T handle, and i love it, its a super soft tips, lathering machine!

[Image: WP_20140430_010.jpg]

4 447
 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
(07-16-2014, 03:10 PM)Crag Wrote: Three weeks ago I saw a listing on the bay for a "defective Finest 2-band shaving Brush" from China that was dirt cheap - less than $10 shipped, so I bought it.

A scratch on the handle,a problem with the logo etc can make a brush characterized as: "defective"
Maybe it's something serious like wrong bristle cut in the top.
It's not necessary a crappy brush.

0 353