07-16-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
So this topic has probably been kicked to death. But I was thinking.
Considering that King Gillette was a master of marketing and selling people his products (look at the millions and millions of his razors about after all). What do YOU think Mr. Gillette would think about the current state of Gillette, or where the company is headed?
Part of me wants to think he would roll over in his grave, but part of me realizes he was a master of marketing and was a true salesman. Would they be making razors like they do today (out of plastic etc) if the technology was available back then? Or would they still have went ahead and made razors to last? There is always pride to be had in a product, but realistically what REAL competition did Gillette have at the time. I don't think they had to be concerned with pumping out mass numbers other than supply and demand. I guess I really don't know what he would do. What do you think?

0 65
 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM
User Info
"People have found a way to make even more money selling razorblades? Oh, joyous day!"

The revolutionary idea behind the Gillette safety razor was to sell the razor cheap, but to make up losses (and more) on the blades - which Gillette patented so others could not make knock offs. Supplying the US Army with "free" razors created a captive marked he could exploit. Gillette had plenty of competition, but getting the contract with the US Army put him ahead of the pack simply due to the numbers of his razors "in the wild".

I think he would be mostly satisfied with how the company he founded is running their business today - even if their blades are more expensive and gives a less good shave, people are still buying them.

3 4,675
 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
(07-16-2014, 08:35 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I think he would be mostly satisfied with how the company he founded is running their business today - even if their blades are more expensive and gives a less good shave, people are still buying them.

+1

83 21,115
 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
He may have directed the company in a different way, however, he would have expected the same results and that's profit.

0 1,007