05-18-2012, 12:40 AM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Hi all. I'm a 61 year old guy who is now 6 days into a return to DE shaving. I wish I had done it years ago.

I bought a cheap razor (Weishi 9306) and van der Hagen shaving kit. As soon as I have learned the proper technique I'm going to upgrade. What I have is OK for right now I think.

I LOVE the articles here. The one about the old time barbershop brought back many many memories. I do remember why I stopped going to them. 1) They knew only one kind of haircut 2) They would grab my head and twist it roughly. It was almost like getting a chiropractic adjustment and 3) In spite of witch hazel, my neck would burn for days. I had my first barbershop haircut ca. 1954 and I stopped going around 1970. I'm sure all the reasons I had for stopping are no longer valid. I married a girl who was an apprentice beautician so I've had free haircuts for the last 38 years. Smile

I notice a lot of nostalgia here, which I love. I collect vintage radio shows. Each night I listen to The Great Gildersleeve and his barber Floyd Munson. It reminds me of the old days when I was a kid.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

Thanks,

Uncle Dave

0 396
 05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Hi Uncle Dave.

Welcome to the Nook.

Enjoy your stay.

4 313
 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
User Info
Hello Uncle Dave, welcome aboard the Nook, enjoy!
Regards
Jim

0 475
 05-18-2012, 01:17 AM
User Info
Welcome to the nook uncledave!

4 365
 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 12:40 AM)uncledave Wrote: Hi all. I'm a 61 year old guy who is now 6 days into a return to DE shaving. I wish I had done it years ago.

I bought a cheap razor (Weishi 9306) and van der Hagen shaving kit. As soon as I have learned the proper technique I'm going to upgrade. What I have is OK for right now I think.

I LOVE the articles here. The one about the old time barbershop brought back many many memories. I do remember why I stopped going to them. 1) They knew only one kind of haircut 2) They would grab my head and twist it roughly. It was almost like getting a chiropractic adjustment and 3) In spite of witch hazel, my neck would burn for days. I had my first barbershop haircut ca. 1954 and I stopped going around 1970. I'm sure all the reasons I had for stopping are no longer valid. I married a girl who was an apprentice beautician so I've had free haircuts for the last 38 years. Smile

I notice a lot of nostalgia here, which I love. I collect vintage radio shows. Each night I listen to The Great Gildersleeve and his barber Floyd Munson. It reminds me of the old days when I was a kid.

Thanks,

Uncle Dave

I can relate. I'm 56 and didn't use a DE razor until a couple of years ago. Made a world of difference. The multiblade and electric shavers were unsatisfactory, to say the least. Now I'm into straight razors.

You're right about the evolution of the barbershop. Most didn't adapt to the longer hairstyles, which forced us to go elsewhere. Now we want the old time barbershop back but most of them are gone because we quit going to them.

I love old time radio shows as well. You paint more vivid pictures in your mind when you only have sound and the stories are better. I got interested about 20 years ago when my uncle became a shut in and I got him some Suspense tapes. I found out that I enjoyed them myself.

0 282
 05-18-2012, 01:36 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello Uncle Dave:
Welcome to the world of gentlemen shavers, and to the ranks of those of us in the vintage parade here at The Shave Nook. Now is as good a time as any to start.

132 2,614
 05-18-2012, 03:24 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. We are glad you found us.

100 12,437
 05-18-2012, 03:28 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Welcome to the Nook.

1 3,507
 05-18-2012, 03:39 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Great having you, Dave and especially glad you rediscovered the shave!

35 2,703
 05-18-2012, 06:41 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Enjoy your stay, Dave! Jump on in, the water's fine.

45 16,278
 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard Dave, glad you're here.

Clayton

6 617
 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Dave, welcome to The Shave Nook. At the top of the General Section there is a thread called Acronyms. You might want to read it as those terms are use a lot around here, as well as other forums. Glad you came back to the real shave.

Jump in, ask questions, heck, just give advise. After 61 years I know you have some.

173 23,486
 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum.

183 12,002
 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Welcome,sir.

86 7,123
 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 3,955
 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
Hello, Dave, and welcome to The Shave Nook. My younger brother was Uncle Dave to my sons and daughters! Smile

0 1,377
 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Dave, and enjoy your stay. Smile

2 11,211
 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 01:22 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 12:40 AM)uncledave Wrote: Hi all. I'm a 61 year old guy who is now 6 days into a return to DE shaving. I wish I had done it years ago.

Thanks,

Uncle Dave

I can relate. I'm 56 and didn't use a DE razor until a couple of years ago. Made a world of difference. The multiblade and electric shavers were unsatisfactory, to say the least. Now I'm into straight razors.

You're right about the evolution of the barbershop. Most didn't adapt to the longer hairstyles, which forced us to go elsewhere. Now we want the old time barbershop back but most of them are gone because we quit going to them.

I love old time radio shows as well. You paint more vivid pictures in your mind when you only have sound and the stories are better. I got interested about 20 years ago when my uncle became a shut in and I got him some Suspense tapes. I found out that I enjoyed them myself.

John, you are absolutely right. I'd love to be able to go to an old time barbershop now but there aren't any around here anymore.

The reasons I switched from DE shaving were that my father never showed me technique so when the cartridge razors came out I found I could get the same bad shave from them that I got from my DE only faster and with less nicks. If only someone had showed me how it's supposed to be done I'm sure I would never have stopped shaving with a safety razor.

I've always wanted to learn to use a straight razor but I'm scared because my hands are not as steady as they once were.

Thanks for replying!

Uncle Dave

Thanks for the welcome to all you guys! I'm really glad to be here. I look forward to sharing and learning.

(05-18-2012, 07:13 AM)Johnny Wrote: Dave, welcome to The Shave Nook. At the top of the General Section there is a thread called Acronyms. You might want to read it as those terms are use a lot around here, as well as other forums. Glad you came back to the real shave.

Jump in, ask questions, heck, just give advise. After 61 years I know you have some.

Thanks Johnny. I'm nowhere near competent yet to give any advice but I do have a question.

I decided to start back with a Jack Benny type shaving kit. I have a Weishi 9306. I'm slowly getting my technique and I'm already getting DFS shaves from it. I get BBS on my face but I'm not having nearly as good luck with my neck. I can get BBS on my neck provided I rub either WTG or XTG. ATG is another thing entirely. That's when I feel the stubble. I'm gradually reducing the amount ( some neck spots are in fact BBS in all directions ) but I'm wondering if it's possible with the Weishi 9306. I know this razor gets a lot of bad press but it gives me a better shave than the cartridges did already, and today is just day 7 of my return to DE shaving.

So it is possible, given good technique, to get BBS with this Weishi?

Thanks!

0 396
 05-19-2012, 11:06 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Cool

2 5,527