07-17-2014, 09:25 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I am sitting here waiting on some new information for submitting my new business and decided to compare the cost per ounce on a few of the currently popular U.S. Artisan soaps. They ended up ranging from $1.91/oz to $4.00/oz. The purchase price, which ranged from $9.00 to $20.00, is not necessarily the best gauge of “Bang for the Buck”, all other criteria aside.

This is the list I compiled. Please feel free to add to it.

Cost Per Ounce Priced From Lowest to Highest-All in Tins or Tubs
Stirling-$1.91 based on cost of $9.00
Synergy-$2.00 based on cost of $15.95
Petal Pushers Fancies-$2.37 based on cost of $18.95
Dapper Dragon-$2.50 based on an avg. cost of $10.00
Catie’s Bubbles-$2.50 based on cost of $20.00
Maggard-$2.59 based on cost of $12.95
Cold River Soap Works-$2.98 based on cost of $12.00
LA Shaving Soap-$3.56 based on cost of $16.00
Tiki Bar-$4.00 based on cost of $14.00
Barrister & Mann-$4.27 based on cost of $16.00

4 2,762
 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM
User Info
My soaps cost $1.62/oz for Basic and $2/oz for Premium.

I add a flat $3 for the tubs, but in tubs that becomes $2.37 and $2.75

10 1,858
 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Thanks Eric. Got you added and thanks for the other heads up.

4 2,762
 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Price per ounce alone is not an accurate representation of a soap's merits, overall.
Ranking soaps based on this criteria alone, falsely stratifies them.
It's an inaccurate and superficial way to view these products.

If one judges and potentially purchases soaps purely on price per ounce, they are missing out on many of the finer soaps, i.e. quality does come at a price in many cases.

Better ingredients often translate to better performance, at a modest price premium.

The goal of most artisan soap-makers is not to produce the cheapest soap possible, but to produce the finest quality soap at a reasonable price, i.e performance:value.

Even the more expensive US artisan soap offerings are significantly cheaper than many premium commercial offerings, and offer superb performance.

102 18,650
 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Most of Barrister & Mann's soaps are in the 14.00 range. Not 16.00. Those are either seasonal or new releases. And just the puck, most of those are 10.00.

If you truly want to strip it down to it's bare minimum, you should strip away all the other costs the vendors have to add, like the labels and jars and such.

All that being said, I have 8 B&M soaps, 2 CRSW (will be adding more), but only one Synergy, and Petal Pushers. Cost us usually the last thing I consider. I'd buy just about anything Will made because I love the performance.

18 1,186
 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
As stated, all prices are with the container to compare pricing equally.

I don't recall saying anything about merits. I don't purchase soaps either based solely on price and didn't suggest doing so.

It is one criteria however.

This was just a simple price comparison. No one needs to get defensive. There was no implication as to quality, value, or customer service. I certainly don't purchase my soaps strictly based on cost. I just found this interesting to me. If some of you do fine, if some of you don"t, that is fine too.

4 2,762
 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM
User Info
I don't think it's a negative thing to point out. It's an interesting list, one that I was pondering the other day.

What I like about it is to realize that maybe some of the soaps I LOVE are less expensive per ounce than others therefore representing a great value for me.

The only real inaccuracies for me are that some soaps are less or more dense, some require more or less loading etc.

Ultimately, as in all things, it comes down to our own preferences. This list spells out one aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 202
 07-17-2014, 03:56 PM
User Info
This has sparked an interesting conversation. Personally--and this might sound a little self-serving, if so I apologize in advance--I prefer to patronize individual artisans: folks who put their sweat, tears and sometimes blood on the line. I'm not a soap maker, but from what I've seen and heard, making a really good shaving soap is a spectacular accomplishment! When I think about all a shaving soap needs to do, I'm in awe--and working my way through our TSN soap makers.Wink

2 612
 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM
User Info
(07-17-2014, 02:42 PM)Agravic Wrote: Price per ounce alone is not an accurate representation of a soap's merits, overall.
Ranking soaps based on this criteria alone, falsely stratifies them.
It's an inaccurate and superficial way to view these products.

If one judges and potentially purchases soaps purely on price per ounce, they are missing out on many of the finer soaps, i.e. quality does come at a price in many cases.

Better ingredients often translate to better performance, at a modest price premium.
Sounds like a Papa John commercial

The goal of most artisan soap-makers is not to produce the cheapest soap possible, but to produce the finest quality soap at a reasonable price, i.e performance:value.
How do you know this? I always thought the goal of any business is to make a profit.
Even the more expensive US artisan soap offerings are significantly cheaper than many premium commercial offerings, and offer superb performance.

121 13,121
 07-17-2014, 04:34 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
I missed the tins and tubs included part. Sorry. I wasn't meaning to take any offense either. I think it's definitely an aspect of the product that is interesting. Especially in seeing that I like 2 of the most expensive soaps on the list...LOL...

I love B&M though and the cost per ounce comparison to other soaps, won't change my buying habits. I do want to try all of these artisans at some point though.

18 1,186
 07-17-2014, 05:52 PM
User Info
It was posted on B&B, but for reference here, Tiki will now begin putting out 4oz tins for $14, so $3.50/oz, and 8oz tins for $18-$24, so $2.25-$3/oz.

It's helpful to have a price comparison as one point of reference, even if it's not usually the deciding factor for me (as long as we're not talking about MdC price levels).

I'm about soaped out myself and due for a purge, but it doesn't stop me from being very curious about Maggard's Lime & Bergamot and Synergy's Barberpole! Biggrin

9 112
 07-17-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
I'm surprised you didn't include Mike's Natural Soaps, Queen Charlotte Soaps, or Mystic River soaps. I've always thought of them as the most popular, guess I'm out of the loop.

52 476
 07-17-2014, 06:20 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Feel free to add them Bob is asking us to help him compile this list of artisan soaps.

18 1,186
 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
User Info
I keep a spreadsheet tracking all of my soap and giving them ratings in various categories includes cost per ounce. It's only one metric when it comes to judging soap/cream and not the most important one at that, but it can be enlightening to realize that you enjoy a less expensive soap just as much as the big boys.

[Image: 7FgzZLW.png]

Yeah, I'm a nerd.

6 36
 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
Math is one of my joys, ya I'm odd. It looks like some corrections in your figures are called for.

The first thing I noticed is you took the lowest prices from some companies and the highest from others. You also allowed Dapper Dragon to average his prices so everyone should have that opportunity. So in fairness I've fixed things up a bit for you.

Dapper Dragon is $2.56 per ounce
Petal Pushers Fancies is $2.60 per ounce
Cold River Soap Works is $3.46 per ounce
Barrister and Mann is $4.13 per ounce
LA Shaving Soap is $4.46 per ounce

Looking through the ingredients listings on these guys is interesting. You have some of them (the less expensive ones) only using 3 or 4 ingredients while others (the more expensive ones) using up to 10 ingredients.

Maybe it's true - you get what you pay for at least when it comes to shaving soaps.

0 3
 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
OK, I give up.........

I tried to use an average cost for all of them, and feel that I did. I only mentioned "average" with the Dapper Dragon. I frankly resent the implication of favoritism or of trying to promote any particular soap. Also, MdC, one of the most expensive and well respected soaps available has the fewest ingredients. Thanks for being the soap police and making things "fair".

Frankly, I now regret sharing any of this at all..........

4 2,762
 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM
User Info
(07-17-2014, 07:02 PM)Coyote Wrote: OK, I give up.........

I tried to use an average cost for all of them, and feel that I did. I only mentioned "average" with the Dapper Dragon. I frankly resent the implication of favoritism or of trying to promote any particular soap. Also, MdC, one of the most expensive and well respected soaps available has the fewest ingredients. Thanks for being the soap police and making things "fair".

Sorry you took my response the wrong way! That was not my intention at all and quite frankly I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Please accept my apology, no harm intended!

0 3
 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Just be conscientious of the fact that the results of this analysis won't tell you how many shaves per dollar (pound, whatever currency), that is another study, but will need this one. Who's got that one? Biggrin

59 2,810
 07-17-2014, 11:43 PM
User Info
(07-17-2014, 07:02 PM)Coyote Wrote: OK, I give up.........

I'm certainly glad you did! Being on the wrong side of "the pond" for ordering these types of soaps involves taking into account things like price per pound. Before making an order in the future, I'm going to start with your table and do some research on shave reviews of the soaps.

Thanks for posting

0 47
 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM
User Info
If the soaps are available for purchase WITHOUT the containers; i.e., if a person can buy a refill puck, I think it would make the most sense (if one is going to make a list of price/oz) to omit the container and calculate based only on the price of the actual soap.

Just my opinion.

I will add that in the grand scheme of things, shaving soap is pretty cheap, especially the artisan soaps; I wouldn't hesistate at all to pay the highest of those prices for a soap that performed to my standards and made me happy during my morning shave.

2 1,458