05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
I'm as ignorant as a newborn about scents though I have strong reactions to what I like and don't like. Recently acquired two ASB's that I like very much, Penhaligon's BB and Floris Santal. (Could have bought a 5 year supply of Pinaud Clubman for what these rascals cost me.)

I've noticed that the Penhaligon's scent not only starts off much stronger, but lasts most of the day. This is fine. The Floris Santal, however, starts off much milder (which is ok), but is scarcely even detectable an hour or two later.

Is that the way it's supposed to be? Is this just two different approaches? Could I have a bad bottle of Santal? What's going on here.

5 298
 05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
Staying power seems to vary. D.R. Harris aftershaves just last and last, whereas Booster is good for around 15 minutes. TOBS splashes and Trumper skin food seem to last a good while.

Be careful with that Blenheim Bouquet. It's like a gateway drug to...more BB products. None of them cheap. Then you get into the Endymion, then you're late on the rent.

9 166
 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
Different EOs or scents have different staying power. Some, and I know bay rum the best, wants to linger for a minute at most. The key is to make it do what you want but one is ultimately tied to what the scent wants to do and can only work with it to a degree.

So yes, different scents work differently; some have more staying power than others. You pick and choose.

32 6,311
 05-19-2012, 03:34 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-18-2012, 11:50 AM)middlesmith Wrote: Staying power seems to vary. D.R. Harris aftershaves just last and last, whereas Booster is good for around 15 minutes. TOBS splashes and Trumper skin food seem to last a good while.

Be careful with that Blenheim Bouquet. It's like a gateway drug to...more BB products. None of them cheap. Then you get into the Endymion, then you're late on the rent.

Agreed, staying power varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from product to product.

Endymion is my favourite fragrance from Penhaligons. They do a shave cream which I haven't tried, wish they did a soap too...

91 17,875
 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
Longevity in fragrances depends on the strength of the product (extrait de parfum, eau de parfum, eau de cologne and aftershave have decreasing levels of fragrance added) and the fragrance/essential oils involved. Citrus and lavender are short-lived unless other scents or fixatives are included to lengthen their lives. Other factors can also be involved, for example, a fragrance might have more staying power on fabric than on the skin. Interesting stuff!

3 543
 05-24-2012, 11:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Also, for the most part, the more natural, the more fleeting.
A lot of natural fragrances need powerful basenotes to have decent longevity, otherwise, they are very fleeting.

I adore most of the Trumper range but get next to no longevity out of them. The Taylor's are similar.
Try LeMale or any of the newer synthetic, designer fragrances and you'll be bowled over and that will last all day into the next, needing the proverbial shower chisel to wash off. Biggrin

As John Parker mentions, fragrances will last longer on fabric but they may not develop the same way of take longer to develop and using them on your hair is similar.
(All of this after 12 or so years on the Basenotes forum!)

6 905
 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
One word of caution on making decisions on scent longevity! Anosmia - the permanent or temporary inability to pick up a scent. Some time ago I bought a sample of something (a sandalwood I think) and smelled it on myself for about two minutes (or so it seemed). I complained and a wise person told me to put it on at bed time, then see if I could smell it in the morning. I did and I could! Also apply it, then ask someone else to see if they can detect it after you can't. You would be surprised!

3 543
 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(05-24-2012, 12:14 PM)john parker Wrote: One word of caution on making decisions on scent longevity! Anosmia - the permanent or temporary inability to pick up a scent. Some time ago I bought a sample of something (a sandalwood I think) and smelled it on myself for about two minutes (or so it seemed). I complained and a wise person told me to put it on at bed time, then see if I could smell it in the morning. I did and I could! Also apply it, then ask someone else to see if they can detect it after you can't. You would be surprised!
Indeed. It's a fleeting thing and you don't want to over-apply and knock people over as you enter a room. Testing a new frag is good advice.

35 2,703
 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I always thought that many fragrances were still around and could be smelled by others long after I no longer could. I discovered this to be true accidentally. I prefer to bathe at the end of the day, rather than shower. Long after I have no longer been able to smell a certain EdT that I put on in the morning, stretching out in a warm bath, the steam will bring the scent back up. It has obviously been there all along, which is why others may notice it when they get close to me but I no longer can.

2 11,211