07-18-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Back in the early 90's I restarted a career in sales. When you would have a bad week of sales my sales manager would call and say, "what the heck is going on down there?" Then, when I would have a stellar sales week I would get a call from the sales manager and he would say, "what the heck is going on down there?" Both in the same tone of voice. So it goes in shaving. Earlier this week I had two really bad shaves. Pretty much the same process I use all the time. I asked myself, "what the heck am I doing?" This morning I started my shave routine just like always only difference was the soap and blade, but nothing out of the ordinary. When finished, I felt around on my neck and cheeks and notice I had one of the best shaves ever. I said to myself, "what the heck am I doing?" Heck if I know.HuhDodgyBiggrin

0 1,007
 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Perhaps the blade was sharper or the soap lubricated better or both. Hard to say though, but I do find there can be a distinct difference in the quality of my shaves because of these two variables.

5 885
 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
(07-18-2014, 07:17 AM)Rufus Wrote: Perhaps the blade was sharper or the soap lubricated better or both. Hard to say though, but I do find there can be a distinct difference in the quality of my shaves because of these two variables.

Maybe a process of elimination is in order. PolSilver was used earlier in the week along with RazoRock Freeberg. Today, an orange wrapper ASCO stainless steel blade and Mitchells Wool Fat soap. Hard to imagine the PolSilver was not as sharp as an ASCO. The RazoRock soaps are great and have had really good shaves with them. Maybe the PolSilver was a dud.

0 1,007
 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
User Info
Congratulations and good luck with the next shaves. Smile

82 21,056
 07-18-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
I think the variable is the lather generation. Too much or too little water can make a big difference in shave quality to me.

I prefer to err on the too much water side since the worst case scenario is it'll be more slick.

9 3,025
 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM
User Info
Congrats on the great shave! I completely know how you feel, I won't pretend to have any advice; some days are just off days. The only thing I do when it's going that poorly is stop at two passes and hope for better tomorrow. And of course change the blade Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 202
 07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
User Info
That's great news! But I'm betting the difference is you. Blade shaving isn't so much about gear, though that can't be downplayed. It's mostly about technique. My money is on you having just having gotten everything right for that shave. Now you need to repeat it over and over. Stay in tune to your shave and you'll figure it out.

32 6,445
 07-19-2014, 01:09 AM
User Info
(07-18-2014, 07:26 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote:
(07-18-2014, 07:17 AM)Rufus Wrote: Perhaps the blade was sharper or the soap lubricated better or both. Hard to say though, but I do find there can be a distinct difference in the quality of my shaves because of these two variables.

Maybe a process of elimination is in order. PolSilver was used earlier in the week along with RazoRock Freeberg. Today, an orange wrapper ASCO stainless steel blade and Mitchells Wool Fat soap. Hard to imagine the PolSilver was not as sharp as an ASCO. The RazoRock soaps are great and have had really good shaves with them. Maybe the PolSilver was a dud.

or the MWF is way better !

1 495
 07-20-2014, 02:58 AM
User Info
Your whole outlook on shaving came to you in a dream and in the morning it became reality.

119 13,020