07-18-2014, 09:20 PM
User Info
I finally after 3 years have to admit it.

I'm not a true traditional shaver anymore.

I will probably never quit using shaving creams.
I will probably never quit using shaving soaps.
I will probably never quit using a shainvg brush.
I will probably never quit face lathering.

But I have to be honest to myself.
I never after 3 years constant trying just never found any of my 50+ DE razors gave me a good enough BBS shave compared to when I used my 2 Edwin Jagger Bulbous/chatsworth or Plisson Fusion razors.

I agree, Fusion carts can cause an ingrown hair or two.
It shaves that close and deep.

But I never felt I obtained the right technique with any of my DE razors to get as comfortable and close a shave as I can get day in and day out with any of my 3 Fusion razors.

I often got dry spots around my lips from using a DE razor.
I have tried literally 100's of product combinations and I have also tried shaving with the same soap (Martin de Candre Unscented) and the same DE razor Edwin Jagger DE89L and Pils DE for several weeks in a row to obtain a feel for the same product combo.

I have to be honest to myself.
To this day I have yet to feel I get as good a shave with any of my DE rzors as I can get with my Fusion cart.

So in a way it's a sad day.
I have to come out of the closet.

Fusion carts just work better for me.
They provide me with a better overall shave.

I always feel like I need 3 passes and touch ups with a DE razor to obtain a BBS. I can do that in 1 pass and touch up with a Fusion, even on 3-4 days growth. Maybe my Mühle R41 and Joris/plisson De razors can get to BBS in 2 passes and touch ups, but then they irritate my skin, especially around my lip area.

I always use a pre shave cream before my shave.
And always prep my skin properly.
Take a shower before my shave. Fusion carts give me no dry area around my lips. DE razors do.

The jaw line is hard to get shaved free from hair with my DE, much harder than with a Fusion cart. Can it be clean shaven with a DE, yes most certainly. But no without a bit of irritation. An irritation I don't get from my Fusion cart.

So after 3 years of DE shaving, I'm quitting Blush
I give up. It's a waste of my time. I take double amount of time to shave with a DE razor compared to a Fusion cart, and to be honest, I still get more irritation from a DE. I need better prep with a DE to avoid irritation than I need with a Fusion.

I'm selling my entire DE collection, starting next month.

I still will keep my Feather Artist Club Japanese Straight, as I find this razor provides me with a far better and more comfortable shave, than I get with any of my DE razors.

Thanks for reading, Gentlemen Smile

24 6,018
 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM
User Info
Sorry to read that, but on a positive note, lots of folks watching the b/s/t will be made happy I would imagine.

32 6,470
 07-19-2014, 12:41 AM
User Info
Hi Claus, the whole point of shaving is to try to make it as enjoyable as possible. So using Cartridges work best for you then that is what you should use. You still use soaps, creams, brushes and have a good pre and post shave routine so something has come out of this. So you don't get on with D.E. razors it's not the end of the world........Tongue
Enjoy your changed routine and your Feather and Fusions and remember you have more money to spend on nice soaps, creams and A/S, ASB and other fragrances..........Tongue

3 199
 07-19-2014, 12:56 AM
User Info
(07-19-2014, 12:41 AM)missingskin Wrote: Hi Claus, the whole point of shaving is to try to make it as enjoyable as possible. So using Cartridges work best for you then that is what you should use. You still use soaps, creams, brushes and have a good pre and post shave routine so something has come out of this. So you don't get on with D.E. razors it's not the end of the world........Tongue
Enjoy your changed routine and your Feather and Fusions and remember you have more money to spend on nice soaps, creams and A/S, ASB and other fragrances..........Tongue
+1

1 495
 07-19-2014, 01:00 AM
User Info
Does using a cart mean you are enjoying your shaves more? If yes, what is the problem? Different strokes etc Biggrin

3 4,670
 07-19-2014, 01:04 AM
User Info
If it works for you Claus, go with it...........

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 07-19-2014, 04:37 AM
User Info
You will be back I predictSmile

121 13,207
 07-19-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
I can get a great shave from a cart too. Do I want to shave with a cart? Nope. It's the simple fact that carts give me no pleasure. I think in your case the cart is your pleasure. Stay with that, if that's what you like and what works best for you.

0 1,007
 07-19-2014, 04:53 AM
User Info
I wouldn't shave with a DE either...or a "Cart". There is nothing that compares to the pinnacle of shaving, the traditional straight razor. I suggest you dabble with it and see if it gives you the transcendent shave you seek. I abhor plastic items so my traditional straights are the only way to go.

19 775
 07-19-2014, 05:05 AM
User Info
If it feels good ! Do it ! A Great shave is a beautiful feeling no matter how you get to it.

6 1,224
 07-19-2014, 05:30 AM
User Info
(07-19-2014, 04:52 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: I can get a great shave from a cart too. Do I want to shave with a cart? Nope. It's the simple fact that carts give me no pleasure. I think in your case the cart is your pleasure. Stay with that, if that's what you like and what works best for you.

+1

148 3,593
 07-19-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
If you've found the combination that works best, why go elsewhere? Smile

39 3,948
 07-19-2014, 05:49 AM
User Info
My LOSER brotherhood would be on the line if I didn't ask.

Have you tried a Single Edge (SE) razor and blade yet? I quit DEs long ago as they never worked for me, though they did work better than carts, but just slightly. SEs, however, were a game changer for me and I finally started getting the shaves I kept reading about from others. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss SEs more to find a good route to start with. Since you enjoy the Artist Club disposable blade straights, then I'd imagine a SE safety raOr and blade may be just the thing for you to at least try.

31 8,058
 07-19-2014, 06:32 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Good for you for choosing what works for you. In a activity where YMMV applies to everything, Im glad that you have been able narrow it down and choose the set up that will give you the best milage. I hope you stick around and continue to post... it just may take a little getting used to seeing a Cartridge razor on the SOTD. Wink

29 1,627
 07-19-2014, 07:24 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-18-2014, 09:20 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I finally after 3 years have to admit it.

I never after 3 years constant trying just never found any of my 50+ DE razors gave me a good enough BBS shave compared to when I used my 2 Edwin Jagger Bulbous/chatsworth or Plisson Fusion razors.

Fifty plus! Even with three years to spread that out over, how did you give any of them (other than the Edwin Jagger 89L) a fair chance?

I very much empathize with your larger point. After about 40 years of cartridge shaving, and still being happy with the quality of shaves that I get from my Schick Hydro 3 razor, I decided earlier this year to give DE shaving a thorough, fair trial.

That means no one-night stands: I bought 25 Gillette Silver Blue blades and 20 Iridium Super blades, and determined that I will use them up, at the rate of (it turns out) five or six days per blade, using a DE razor as my primary shaving instrument over that period, while keeping the Hydro 3 in the cabinet for ue when I am rushed or preparing for a meeting where a nick on my face would be a serious no-no. I will not make a final determination until I have used up all 45 blades (plus the one Astra SP that came with the razor that I bought).

(07-18-2014, 09:20 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I agree, Fusion carts can cause an ingrown hair or two.
It shaves that close and deep.

But I never felt I obtained the right technique with any of my DE razors to get as comfortable and close a shave as I can get day in and day out with any of my 3 Fusion razors.

Arrow Satan speaking here: You may find that the Schick (Wilkinson where you live) Hydro 3 is even better than the Fusions; I know that I did. And the Feather MR3 neo may be better than either the Fusion or the Hydro 3.

(07-18-2014, 09:20 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have tried literally 100's of product combinations and I have also tried shaving with the same soap (Martin de Candre Unscented) and the same DE razor Edwin Jagger DE89L and Pils DE for several weeks in a row to obtain a feel for the same product combo.

Is that two separate razors, or is the Pils DE a blade?

(07-18-2014, 09:20 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: To this day I have yet to feel I get as good a shave with any of my DE rzors as I can get with my Fusion cart.

Fusion carts just work better for me.
They provide me with a better overall shave.

So after 3 years of DE shaving, I'm quitting Blush
I give up. It's a waste of my time. I take double amount of time to shave with a DE razor compared to a Fusion cart, and to be honest, I still get more irritation from a DE.

I know whereof you speak. Still early in my trial of DE shaving, and determined not to prejudge the final results, if I had to choose -- right today -- which I would go with every day of my life from now on, I would choose the Hydro 3. Fortunately, no one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to choose today. Undecided

Good luck, and don't be a stranger here.

1 1,109
 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
Thanks too all you Gents for your comments.

I feel that 40-50 shaves with the Pils and the EJ DE89 plus 250+ shaves with a wide variety of other DE razors should make a solid base for determining whether a DE razor is for me or not ;-)

One shall never say never, and I might be back to DE's again. But my golf buddy's said the same thing when I quit the great game of golf. It's now 4 years ago, and I have no plans on starting again. I was an 8 handicapper in golf. I feel I'm an 8 handicapper in DE too :-) pretty solid technique. Not Geo Fat Boy great, but close too.

I might look into SE razors.
But I really love my Fusion.
I use a Plisson Palladium and two Edwin Jagger handles (Bulbous & Chatsworth) and get fine solid clean shaves from them.

I can shave with a Fusion cart 20 times when I finger strop the cart.
The cost issue of Fusion carts is nothing compared to what I have spent on my DE razors the last 3 years - we're taking $8,000-10,000 on DE razors alone.

I own a variety of DE blades and have used at least a 100 DE blades during the last 3 years.

I really feel 3 years is giving it time, not being Impatient.

Will still be posting on the Nook.
Still love this place.

24 6,018
 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
Claus, use the razor setup that works best for you. Glad to hear that you plan to stay active at TSN as you are a valued member of the forum.

32 1,749
 07-19-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
Glad that you've found your shaving nirvana! But you bring up something that happens to me also... "I often got dry spots around my lips from using a DE razor."

For me the two corners of my mouth/lips. Why does this happen? My one guess is that when we apply after shave product, we tighten our lips and in doing so the corners of our mouth/lips never receive the after shave product. But you state this doesn't happen when you use the Fusion blades, so I guess there's something more to this phenomenon.

0 53
 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
Man, I understand you. I am a Mach 3 daily shaver (with an Edwin Jagger handle, like you) and I get best possible shave with this. I tried DE but is not so good for me as cartridge... In my opinion, using a cartridge with a good brush and cream/soap is still a quality wet shaving. Peace and enjoy your shaving. Life is good...

0 17
 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Claus, you are right, 3 years is enough time, and I agree life is too short to not enjoy your shaves, so why not enjoy the ride? You've found what works and I think that's great. I know you have a great scent palate and quite a collection of EDTs, so I'd say you're well on your way to enjoying the ride...

27 860