07-19-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
It's still in the SV bath and will be until tomorrow @ 6 PMish; or shorter or longer, that's the beauty of SV; get to it when you can- it'll keep. For us it's an experimental cook, but others have done it before me and I follow their blazed trail.

No pics yet. All you'd see is the SV circulator sticking out of a pot covered in plastic wrap to cut down on the evaporation. Maybe I'll remember to take a pic of that tomorrow after the plastic wrap is removed.

I added 1 tablespoon each of the following to the bag, then put a vacuum seal back onto the bag: black peppercorns, brown and yellow whole mustard, coriander, gran' garlic, and 2-3 bay leaves. It needs to cook @ 150°F for 36 hours. I'm slightly higher @ 151°-152° for 32 hours if I remove it at 6PM.

If we like the way it comes out of the SV bath, next time I have a "secret ingredient" I intend to add to the bag. Of course it won't be secret if it works.

OK, CB is brisket so on a similar note, yesterday our butcher had brisket on sale for $2.99/lb. I drove out and got 2 8 lb'ers since it's priced like steak locally and this was a deal I couldn't ignore. I should have bought 2 more, but I didn't know if we had room in the freezer. I also have my eye open for beef short ribs which as far as I'm concerned is the pinnacle of BBQ - nothing better IMO. I simply will NOT buy brisket for the price of steak when I can get steak for the same price. But for $3/lb I'll do that. Some Southern BBQ in the Primo is comin' up soon. It's to kill for; it's also been a few years for us and long overdue. These "whole" packer briskets have virtually no "point" (which I love- it's fatty and fat is where the rich flavor is, but of course it will kill you), so it's mostly the flat which is lean and costs 2x more in our supermarket. I won't pay that. As I wrote I should have bought 2 more.

I have some smoked burnt ends in the freezer, it'll be time for some baked beans using the cherry smoked ends when I BBQ a brisket. Combined with some crusty artisan loaf for sopping up the bean liquor... Yummm!

I'll definitely post that. I'll also update this tomorrow after the SV bath is opened.

32 6,459
 07-19-2014, 03:54 PM
User Info
It does gall a person to see Brisket at Steak prices ! But it yields so many wonderful things when prepared properly.

I've never attempted SV on meats so I am very excited to see your results !

Was this Brined beforehand or is the Brine the SV solution ?

6 1,224
 07-19-2014, 09:59 PM
User Info
It wasn't all that many years ago when brisket was really inexpensive. A few years before the beef shortage the price began climbing. Back then I thought $3/lb was high. Little did I know...

The corned beef I'm SVing right now was corned by someone else and we bought it in a cryovac bag. We bought a mess of whole corned briskets awhile back for (you may not believe this) $2/lb. I showed up and got a slightly better price by taking all that my butcher had. It was more than we wanted, but I can make pastrami out of it, but I just like corned beef too.

The briskets I bought a few days ago are just Whole packer briskets, the primal cut, and no curing was done to them. I won't cure either of them either. I want them for southern BBQ. Yumm!

Not long ago I cracked the plastic wrap on the pot to smell the steam coming out of the water bath, and the smell leaching through the plastic vacuum bag is fantastic! Other than that one whiff one can't tell that anything is cooking at all (the display on the SV machine is the only tell). That's one drawback to SV. I love the aroma of cooking that fills the kitchen and SV has none. The results are more than worth it though. I hope I can write that about the SV corned beef.

32 6,459
 07-20-2014, 03:03 AM
User Info
Can't wait to see your finished Corned Beef Brian . Its my all time favorite growing up in the Northeast. Actually $2.99 is cheap compared to most other cuts of Beef.

121 13,121
 07-20-2014, 03:29 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
This sous vide method is quite interesting to read about, Brian.
I look forward to seeing the results. Smile

102 18,652
 07-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, even if I have no intention of trying the way you cook I so look forward to reading about it, seeing the photos, and learning. Thanks for sharing.

2 11,211
 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
Freddy, forgive me if I keep trying to convert you over to SV. If I was single I'd latch onto it in a heartbeat. Easy with excellent results is putting it mildly. I wish you lived closer.

Gotta run, it's stopped raining for the moment and the dogs need to go out.

32 6,459
 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
OK, pix...

The SousVide bath with the SV circulator (control unit) in the bath and working. Right now it's keeping the bath temp between 149.8°F and 150°F. It's also in the smallest container of ours that it works in. The other container is a 20 some odd quart "cooler". But that would have been overkill for one corned beef.
[Image: DSC04121_zps9dbf4bbc.jpg]

The plastic wrap is off of the pot and the plastic bag containing the corned beef is seen. Note that the water is crystal clear since the bag holds everything in. I think I figured out that it cooked for 32 hours at this point.
[Image: DSC04122_zps3e125f91.jpg]

While the CB is waiting to be sliced, it doesn't require a rest period BTW, the bag juices were dumped into a pot and more water added. Here are the potatoes and carrots about to be cooked, approx' 20 minutes. Yes, the spices are still in the pot.
[Image: DSC04123_zpse7001dad.jpg]

While the veggies cook I'm slicing the CB with my Mundial slicing knife It measures approx' 15" but I think they call it a 16" slicer. If the CB doesn't look like what you buy there's a reason for that. It's New England aka Boston corned beef. It's salt cured and not cured with nitrates and nitrites. I'm not opposed to that cure, in fact I love it, but this is different and so is the flavor. It's MUCH(!) meatier tasting. If anyone wants a recipe just give me a heads up. Yes, you can make your own corned beef. You just need room in a refrigerator.
[Image: DSC04125_zpsc468d189.jpg]

And the finished plate. Not fancy, just good and plenty of it. I like mine with some Dijon mustard goosed with a little hot mustard to up the heat a bit. (not seen)[Image: DSC04126_zps5b3dfb6d.jpg]

Critique: the flavor was fantastic, but I've had salt cured CB before so that came as no surprise. Next time I'll cook the meat for 48 hours to make it a bit more tender.

32 6,459
 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Okay, that does it! I'm coming for dinner! 24

Brian, that looks delicious and I have no doubt that it tastes better than it looks.

2 11,211
 07-20-2014, 05:38 PM
User Info
Oh man ! That looks delicious ! I have to have the cabbage too though Wink

We have always brined our own CB so I know what you mean about the difference in flavor. And you can spice it too your own liking. I like it really pickled !

I think you did a fantastic job photographing it and making it look fantastic. Food, especially meat, isn't the easiest thing to photograph.

You do a far better job slicing than do I !

6 1,224
 07-20-2014, 05:44 PM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
Looks Great !

PS - where's the cabbage ? Cool

7 244
 07-20-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
Ahh yes, cabbage. I actually forgot it. I knew I was missing something but I was so busy today I didn't have time to dwell on what I was missing. Seriously.

Eric, the key is the knife. That's why I specified what I use. A really large knife, kept sharp, really makes slicing easy and makes me look good. A too small knife, like an 8" chefs knife would really have butchered those slices. The long slicer looks like a blunt sword. I've had folks ask me what "slicer" I use, meaning an electric slicer, like a deli slicer. It takes them awhile to digest that I only use a huge knife. I think I paid in the mid $30 for the thing. But the Portugese steel is excellent. Great value. FWIW, ATK (Americas Test Kitchen didn't like it's little brother, but I absolutely love my big Mundial. To give an idea of the length of the knife, that brisket and slices has to be a 12" slice. A long knife spans the entire cut and doesn't butcher the meat. Secret to slicing exposed... have enough knife; it's that simple.

32 6,459