05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
User Info
The Vie Long Zurito (13061) is a horse hair brush made in Spain. I bought this brush to compare it to other brushes that I have in my rotation. I ordered from Phil at Bullgoose and he sent it in quickly. The price at the time of sale was 32 U.S.D.

The tale of the tape for this brush is as follows:

Overall Height: 105 mm
Loft Size: 57 mm
Knot Size: 23 mm
Maximum Width of Brush Hairs: 56mm

The break in method was established using a generic soap and lathering my forearms once daily for about 5 days to get the brush to bloom before testing began.

The first set of testing involved face lathering using Palmolive stick with a single application across each side of the face and the neck. The same amount of soap was applied for each test and only at the beginning of each test. No additional soap was added and the face was wiped clean and water applied after each pass. The issues for face lathering concern water retention used to generate lather and how the brush builds up lather on the face.

Water retention: Does this brush hold water sufficiently enough? Yes.

Lather: Does this brush build lather well? Yes.

This brush was able to generate 3 face passes and a left over head shave (thin for last face pass and head shave). I would as a normal practice use additional soap on the head, but this was a test to see how much lather could be produced.

When I switched to C.O. Bigelow in the bowl I found that this brush was quick and efficient in making lather. The same with Fitness soap.

The issues for bowl lathering concerns the loading of soaps and creams, building and applying lather, and the application of the lather to the skin.

Loading: Does this brush pick up soaps and creams easily? Yes.

Lather: Does this brush build and apply lather well? Yes. This brush in bowl lathering was able to generate three face passes and a full head pass with a nickel sized dab of C.O. Bigelow.

Application: Does this brush it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin. Yes. The handle is easy to hold and the hairs allow an effective application of lather to the skin.

Does the brush have a quality feel? Yes, this brush has good backbone (not floppy) and is only mildly scritchy. This brush as far as feel is close to a low end best badger but not near silvertip. It is softer than the boar brushes that I have used in the past.

Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive? Yes it is very good looking. See for yourself.

[Image: 7103871643_190007cc62_h.jpg]

In conclusion, the Vie Long is an excellent brush for the price. In my view it is as good of a face lathering brush as the Simpson Colonel X2L in best badger but not as good in terms of bowl lathering as the Simpson Colonel X2L. This is not the best performing brush in my stable due to the availability of Muhle Synthetics, H.I.S. Shaving, and a Silvertip Badger, all of which exceed this in performance. However, those brushes set the bar very high. This brush for many users this brush would shine as a primary brush. It performs well for both face and bowl lathering. I would recommend this brush to any user who wants a solid performing horse in their stable.

1 2,827
 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
Excellent review Gary. I tried valiantly to love this brush, but it did not agree with my face. It's certainly a quality piece and I'd still highly recommend it to anyone considering a horsehair brush even though it didn't work out for me.

31 7,914
 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
User Info
Great review, Gary. i have been contemplating this brush for a while now. Thanks.

75 20,883
 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Gary, do you have any of the other V-L HH offerings? I'm really enjoying my LE Beehive in HH and wonder how the knot stacks up. Nice review.

35 2,703
 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, I don't own any equestrian brushes, but I have owned a few VL badgers and one with the same handle as your.

91 17,868
 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Possibly my favorite brush. Beautiful, comfortable handle. Great on soaps and creams with great flow through. I definitely recommend it!

35 1,732
 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 03:55 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Gary, do you have any of the other V-L HH offerings? I'm really enjoying my LE Beehive in HH and wonder how the knot stacks up. Nice review.

TexBilly, that is the only V-L I have so I can't help out on that front. The only other Horse Hair brushes I have are the inexpensive BestShave.net brushes. I think they are the #6 series. One of them has a wooden handle and the other has a plastic handle. Both performed well, but I figured that the V-L would be a serious step up in performance and it truly was.

1 2,827
 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 04:50 PM)Tonality Wrote: Possibly my favorite brush. Beautiful, comfortable handle. Great on soaps and creams with great flow through. I definitely recommend it!

I agree, this is probably my favorite brush. Works great with creams, croaps and hard soaps. Just a touch of scritch to help exfoliate the skin but still soft. Great looking handle as well.

129 6,685
 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nice review,Gary!It seems that this Vie Long horse brushes are really underdogs,or at least,for me.Maybe its time to try out one pretty soon.

86 7,123
 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(05-18-2012, 04:52 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 03:55 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Gary, do you have any of the other V-L HH offerings? I'm really enjoying my LE Beehive in HH and wonder how the knot stacks up. Nice review.

TexBilly, that is the only V-L I have so I can't help out on that front. The only other Horse Hair brushes I have are the inexpensive BestShave.net brushes. I think they are the #6 series. One of them has a wooden handle and the other has a plastic handle. Both performed well, but I figured that the V-L would be a serious step up in performance and it truly was.

Thanks, Gary. I'm wondering whether a Horse Hair "tour" could help shed light on this great alternative bristle. Hmm

35 2,703
 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I could be down with that, though I think I've been slightly rough with mine and formed a small gap in the center.

Guess it gives me reason to get a second one.

35 1,732
 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review! This is one I've been wanting.

45 3,955
 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I am honestly trying to decide between another one of these brushes and the MenU Synthetic brush. Anyone tried both that can shed some light?

116 3,804
 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Nice review, Gary. Thanks for sharing. There is always a scientific paper vibe in your reviews Smile

4 365
 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-18-2012, 09:06 PM)Tonality Wrote: I could be down with that, though I think I've been slightly rough with mine and formed a small gap in the center.

Try combing it out gently. I did the same thing with my 13800, and it responded well to a bit of TLC.

10 1,858
 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-21-2012, 12:35 PM)Songwind Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 09:06 PM)Tonality Wrote: I could be down with that, though I think I've been slightly rough with mine and formed a small gap in the center.

Try combing it out gently. I did the same thing with my 13800, and it responded well to a bit of TLC.

I have been, thanks, and it's getting better, there's barely any gap now.

35 1,732
 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
(05-21-2012, 12:00 PM)Dave Wrote: I am honestly trying to decide between another one of these brushes and the MenU Synthetic brush. Anyone tried both that can shed some light?

Those 2 sounds like they'd be polar opposites Dave. Of course I've not used the MenU, but with my experience with the horse and the Muhle synthetic I can't say that I'd have a tough decision.

31 7,914