07-20-2014, 04:54 AM
User Info
The screw head has been completely disintegrated on my De89bl.
It happened slowly over a period of only 6 months use, my eye sight is not very good so I didn't know how bad it was until it was too late... Now the handle doesn't even screw.

[Image: qybjwn.jpg]

What caused it? Is it normal after 6 months? I thought these things were passed down through generations... So disappointed!

0 3
 07-20-2014, 05:07 AM
User Info
Rust destroyed that stud. Make a claim directly with Edwin Jagger and if you still have the receipt they may or may not want to see it. Their customer service is excellent and they will send you a new head.

119 13,020
 07-20-2014, 05:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

The wear depicted on the razor head pictured is not normal, assuming proper use and care. I would surmise that that your options of recourse with the vendor(s) are minimal at this time. The manufacturer has no clear obligation to do anything at this time, although you may wish to contact them directly.

102 18,557
 07-20-2014, 05:47 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Contact them directly at: http://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/info/Contact.html

Explain the circumstances and if you live in the UK then it's likely they'll replace the damaged piece. It's unclear what happens in the US (you may need to attempt return to where you bought it.)
Their T&C's state they warranty their goods for 12 months.
http://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/info/Terms+...tions.html
Quote:8. Warranties and liability
8.1 Subject to the conditions set out below the Seller warrants that the Goods will correspond with their specification at the time of delivery and will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months from the date of their initial use or 12 months from delivery, whichever is the first to expire.

47 1,903
 07-20-2014, 06:13 AM
User Info
I wonder if this is what zamak reactions look like?

7 1,182
 07-20-2014, 07:01 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
As Agravic mentioned,

"The wear depicted on the razor head pictured is not normal, assuming proper use and care."

Proper use and care would include disassembly and drying of the razor parts after shaving. Leaving it assembled and blade installed with moisture seems risky. If this is not the case with your razor it would be most curious. Maybe the plating was compromised from the factory?

Good Luck.

59 4,389
 07-20-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
I routinely disassembled and dried. It doesn't look like rust. It's not orange in color like rust, it just slowly eroded for some reason. I should point out that the threads inside the handle are just fine, I am so baffled.

I'm not from U.S or UK... I'm from Israel.
I'll contact them Monday morning, I hope they'll come through.

0 3
 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
User Info
Good luck Sagi, I hope they can help!

95 2,586
 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM
User Info
Sagi, you're right, it isn't rust. Rust can only happen on iron and it's alloys. Your razor is probably plated zinc (pot metal) and once the plating is gone zinc will definitely corrode. That's what I see there.

As to passing them down to future generations, pot metal? Not hardly. Vintage razors, yes; SS razors, yes, but pot metal, only if you breed very rapidly, or have some put away unused to break out "new" when the next generation(s) shows up.

32 6,445
 08-14-2014, 02:09 AM
User Info
I lost a bit of plating on the top of the screw post of my DE89 head after a couple of weeks. I took a photo on macro setting and sent it to EJ's customer service with a nice note expressing my concern about progressive loss and that I was happy in all other respects.

They forwarded the message to the repairs department, which then told me a day later that a new head will be coming in the mail. I like how EJ supports its reputation.

8 899
 08-14-2014, 02:39 AM
User Info
That razor is only 6 months old? Wow. That's why I'll only get stainless from now on. It's more expensive, but all those razors made of zinc just don't cut it. I got the Jack Black razor for my birthday last year. That's November of 2013. It's just a Muhle Rytmo that's been heavily taxed. I dropped it by accident and the handle cracked right down the middle. They say it's some high-grade resin which required expert craftsmanship. The material is turned from round rods and polished. Handles in this design are highly durable and possess excellent haptic properties. Yeah right, it's more like medium grade plastic. So I took off the head and put on a Weber handle. After about 8 months the head wouldn't screw into the handle. I had it, so I went stainless.

0 45
 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 02:09 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I lost a bit of plating on the top of the screw post of my DE89 head after a couple of weeks.

When my EJ89 came via amazon.uk i saw something scary !
The cap in the corner had an acme that could damage my face seriously.
Even when i touched with my finger i felt that is going to cut me.

Confused

That means someone one day wasn't on quality control and was watching other "things" in the factory.
I didn't had time for email-explanations-photo-send it back-wait for the new etc so worked slow with patience to remove the acme without doing damage to the plating
I haven't bought a razor with a problem like that and i didn't expect to face something like this from Edwin Jagger.

Sad

0 353
 08-18-2014, 02:06 AM
User Info
As said, drop an e-mail to Edwin Jagger, they will probably replace that head.

(08-14-2014, 02:39 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: That razor is only 6 months old? Wow. That's why I'll only get stainless from now on. It's more expensive, but all those razors made of zinc just don't cut it. I got the Jack Black razor for my birthday last year. That's November of 2013. It's just a Muhle Rytmo that's been heavily taxed. I dropped it by accident and the handle cracked right down the middle. They say it's some high-grade resin which required expert craftsmanship. The material is turned from round rods and polished. Handles in this design are highly durable and possess excellent haptic properties. Yeah right, it's more like medium grade plastic. So I took off the head and put on a Weber handle. After about 8 months the head wouldn't screw into the handle. I had it, so I went stainless.

Dropping razors is not of "proper use and care"!!!!
Have you got any straight razor? Hey, they are made of stainless (or carbon) steel... Try dropping one of those and see the result... Wink

2 5,545