07-20-2014, 02:35 PM
User Info
I was prompted to take a few razor blade measurements today after reading several posts about the Gillette Super Thins. I did a cursory search of the Nook and could find no comparisons of blade thickness. I apologize if this is all old news. Anyway, I pulled a sample blade from each of the 10 blades in my "keeper" box and a Super Thin from Viet Nam. For a total of 11 blade comparison. There are a lot of other good blades out there, but this is what I had.
I used a standard micrometer accurate to 1/10,000". In order to avoid measuring an area with glue, label ink or a stamped edge(which may have a small burr), I measured behind the sharpened edge on clean steel in at least 2 different points.
The table has the blades loosely grouped by manufacturer, but otherwise in no particular order. I hope you find something useful in this. After this exercise I have more questions, but at least I now know that "Super Thins" aren't all that thin.

Gillette Silver Blue 0.0038"
Gillette Astra SP 0.0036"
Gillette Super Thin 0.0040"
Polsilver Super Iridium 0.0036"
Iridium Super 0.0036"
Polsilver Stainless (russian) 0.0040"
Personna Lab 0.0041"
Personna Med 0.0041"
Rapira Platinum Lux 0.0039"
Rapira Swedish SS 0.0041"
Bolzano Superinox 0.0041"

May all your shaves be excellent!
Tim

7 83
 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM
User Info
They never really seemed thinner to me, maybe this is why?

6 1,224
 07-20-2014, 06:30 PM
User Info
Nice work Tim. I did something similar on another thread in another forum a couple years back. I also measured from edga to edge... . As I recall the blade thickness over multiple samples of the same blades and between different brands, were all averaging the same (.004) with micrometer; as was the edge to edge length (with calliper). JMHO

What I found interesting was the different grinds and quality of stropping (for lack of a better term) between some of the more expensive and less expensive blades.

I'd be interested in more of your results. I do believe there may be some method to our madness.

2 546
 07-20-2014, 06:34 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very interesting, Tim.
Thanks for sharing.

102 18,668
 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
User Info
Eric,
Right you are. I also noticed that the super thins were as stiff as most of my other blades and I was sure the Astras and PSI's were more flexible. That observation was what prompted this measurement.

(07-20-2014, 06:30 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: What I found interesting was the different grinds and quality of stropping (for lack of a better term) between some of the more expensive and less expensive blades.

Bob,
I too was fascinated by the variations in the quality of the edge grind. Although I'd underestimated the differences until I saw the Scanning Electron Microscope pictures taken of blade edges on the B&B forum. The work is very impressive. I probably spent almost an hour learning to interpret what the pictures showed. The apparent grind differences are amazing. Some blades showing a clear double bevel and others a clear single bevel. The variation in the coarseness of the final grind is crazy.

I was thinking of trying to test the differing blade thicknesses between razors with less well supported blades vs those with lots of support. My early hypothesis is that thicker blades will chatter less in the poorly supported razor resulting in a better shave than the thin ones yield. Lots of things to consider though.

Tim

7 83
 07-20-2014, 08:11 PM
User Info
(07-20-2014, 06:34 PM)Agravic Wrote: Very interesting, Tim.
Thanks for sharing.

+1

83 21,109
 07-21-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
(07-20-2014, 07:29 PM)Expresso Shaver Wrote: Eric,
Right you are. I also noticed that the super thins were as stiff as most of my other blades and I was sure the Astras and PSI's were more flexible. That observation was what prompted this measurement.

(07-20-2014, 06:30 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: What I found interesting was the different grinds and quality of stropping (for lack of a better term) between some of the more expensive and less expensive blades.

Bob,
I too was fascinated by the variations in the quality of the edge grind. Although I'd underestimated the differences until I saw the Scanning Electron Microscope pictures taken of blade edges on the B&B forum. The work is very impressive. I probably spent almost an hour learning to interpret what the pictures showed. The apparent grind differences are amazing. Some blades showing a clear double bevel and others a clear single bevel. The variation in the coarseness of the final grind is crazy.

I was thinking of trying to test the differing blade thicknesses between razors with less well supported blades vs those with lots of support. My early hypothesis is that thicker blades will chatter less in the poorly supported razor resulting in a better shave than the thin ones yield. Lots of things to consider though.

Tim

I would say you are correct !

I notice far less chatter with my SE razors. Which is why I use them more than my DE razors these days.
I also know that my Fatip with the wide unsupported edge will really chatter if I don't keep the angle just right. But if you keep it at the propped angle it really sings and does a fantastic job .

I'm curious to see your findings !

6 1,224
 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
User Info
I have always assumed all DE blades were the same thickness. After reading this thread, I grabbed my cheap calipers and went to work. I measured a vintage Gillette Thin, a Polsilver SI, a Rotbart Extra Dunn (thin), and a Schick Platinum (a vintage blade made in Holland). The DE blades were all basically the same (.004in/.11mm). My calipers are not as sensitive as OP. The thinnest blade was actually the PSI (.10mm), not the two "thin" blades.
Then I measured a Schick injector blade (.010in/.26mm) and a GEM SE blade (.009in/.24mm), which are more than twice as thick as a standard DE blade.

0 76
 08-19-2014, 04:46 AM
User Info
Excellent job Tim.

Which lead me to search the web for blade thickness and I've encountered this site:
http://www.martor.de/industrial_cutter_b...jclldagzho

It is an industrial blade, but I wonder how it shaves Smile

I've found it online for 0.38 EUR each (minumum order 500 pieces).

0 128