07-21-2014, 06:58 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Hey guys,

I always wanted a straight but I didn't want to buy a Gold Dollar nor I wanted to pay premium for a good vintage one. So I kept on wanting and not buying, until yesterday night.

I was browsing through the bay, looking for straights, and then I suddenly saw a marvelous looking Damascus one, priced really fair.

I bought it.

Now I wonder, does anyone know it? Is it good? Did I do a mistake? Why haven't I listened to this artisan? What came first the chicken or the egg?

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...SA:US:3160

2 242
 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Unfortunatly thats a razor shaped object : (

118 1,708
 07-21-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
A true Damascus steel razor will set you back a lot of money. You have a very nice looking display razor.

The best places to look for a decent first razor is our own BST forum. It may take you a week or two to find what you are looking for, but I think you are safest buying from people you know and who are willing to help you learn to use the razor and teach you the patience and practice needed.

eBay is not for the novice in anything.

129 6,685
 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
I agree with Triad. Also, a Damascus for $38.95? Such razors use low quality steel and are not well ground. They will not take a good edge no matter what you do to them. I suggest returning for a refund. I suggest straight razor newbies stay off eBay until they know their way around the straight razor world.

145 2,947
 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
So it was too good to be true. :-(

At least I've learned my lesson. Let's see how it works when it arrives.

I hoped that at least one person would know this maker.

I hate my late night impulse buys.

2 242
 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David,
Many newbie straight razor enthusiasts fall prey to such offerings which are always dressed with impressive pictures. For a new razor, please visit one of the many prominent vendors who offer straight razors. You can also find quality vintage straight razors in the classified section of various forums. Wherever you buy your razor, please beware of lofty descriptions of the product.

145 2,947
 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM
User Info
David, my suggestion would be to not even try the blade. My first straight was a horrible gold dollar and it turned me off of straights for a long time.

Bad razors make for bad first experiences which can deter you from ever trying again.

129 6,685
 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(07-21-2014, 09:35 AM)Obie Wrote: David,
Many newbie straight razor enthusiasts fall prey to such offerings which are always dressed with impressive pictures. For a new razor, please visit one of the many prominent vendors who offer straight razors. You can also find quality vintage straight razors in the classified section of various forums. Wherever you buy your razor, please beware of lofty descriptions of the product.

I had always promised myself not to fall to such offerings. In the back of my mind there was written that a razor should have been bought at the BST, from dcc or a Whipped Dog sight unseen.

I'll just use this one as nice display razor on my den.

(07-21-2014, 09:38 AM)wingdo Wrote: David, my suggestion would be to not even try the blade. My first straight was a horrible gold dollar and it turned me off of straights for a long time.

Bad razors make for bad first experiences which can deter you from ever trying again.

Thanks, Doug, for the advice.

I think you're absolutely right. If I try my first shaves with this razor, and with my completely lack of technique, I'll only cause damages to my face and I'll run away from straights forever.

My den will have another beautiful piece of decoration. Blush

2 242
 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM
User Info
David, I have to agree with the others as that just doesn't seem right for a Damascus straight to be selling at that price unless you add an extra zero at the end.
Isn't there any way you can return it?

As Obie and Doug have suggested, you should buy one from a member here on the BST or from reputable vendors on the forums.
Best of luck with your real straight razor. Smile

82 21,056
 07-22-2014, 05:44 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Sorry that this had to be your first experience buying a straight razor. Everyone has given you good advice. Do not buy any razor off oboy as your first razor. Even if you think you know your way around straights you can still get hopped there. Buy from a BST on one of the forums from a person with good feed back or from a vendor/retailer that has a good rep and will send the razor to you honed to shave ready.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(07-21-2014, 09:16 PM)celestino Wrote: David, I have to agree with the others as that just doesn't seem right for a Damascus straight to be selling at that price unless you add an extra zero at the end.
Isn't there any way you can return it?

As Obie and Doug have suggested, you should buy one from a member here on the BST or from reputable vendors on the forums.
Best of luck with your real straight razor. Smile

It was too cheap and too good to be true. I always promised myself to buy from the BST and not fall for these ebay stories. But dumb I was.

Unfortunately I don´t think I can return it. At least it will look good on my den, "damascus" and camel bone for less than $40! What a steal, LOL

Obie is so kind that he already reached me offering a nice straight, and also to guide me on using it. I'll wait a little bit more and probably accept his offer. What a gentleman.

(07-22-2014, 05:44 AM)BobH Wrote: Sorry that this had to be your first experience buying a straight razor. Everyone has given you good advice. Do not buy any razor off oboy as your first razor. Even if you think you know your way around straights you can still get hopped there. Buy from a BST on one of the forums from a person with good feed back or from a vendor/retailer that has a good rep and will send the razor to you honed to shave ready.

Bob

Bob, it wasn't due to lack of advice of you guys. I shouldn't have bought it outside of the BST. I'll never fall for that anymore.

I'm even thinking of sending it to a straight connoisseur for him to try it and see how bad it is, or not.

2 242
 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
I have tried honing those in the past, they get sharp, just not razor sharp.

The scales are nice enough (crudely finished though), you can always get a real blade and put in those scales.

10 130
 07-24-2014, 01:00 PM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(07-23-2014, 05:46 PM)Doc226 Wrote: I have tried honing those in the past, they get sharp, just not razor sharp.

The scales are nice enough (crudely finished though), you can always get a real blade and put in those scales.

Doc,

That was THE REPLY that I was waiting for. I was looking for someone who already had experience with my new "display razor", and you are the one.

So I won't even try to have it honed, I'll just use as a piece of decoration on my den. If the scales look nice, they'll match the "damascus" blade. Biggrin

2 242
 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
(07-24-2014, 01:00 PM)davizera Wrote:
(07-23-2014, 05:46 PM)Doc226 Wrote: I have tried honing those in the past, they get sharp, just not razor sharp.

Doc,

That was THE REPLY that I was waiting for. I was looking for someone who already had experience with my new "display razor", and you are the one.

So I won't even try to have it honed, I'll just use as a piece of decoration on my den. If the scales look nice, they'll match the "damascus" blade. Biggrin

They look nice for display.

10 130
 07-26-2014, 06:12 AM
User Info
I have a few razors I could sell to you for cheap. At least you'll know they're shave ready.

3 153
 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(07-26-2014, 06:12 AM)BudWhite Wrote: I have a few razors I could sell to you for cheap. At least you'll know they're shave ready.

Thank you, BudWhite.

When I have the funds, I'll post a WTB. Biggrin

2 242