07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
As some of you know, I participate in a number of fine art/fine craft shows every year. One the great pleasures that comes from those activities is the opportunity to spread the word about wet shaving. The vast majority listen politely and move on--perhaps extolling the virtues(?) of their plastic disposablesConfused. A small minority are already members of our fraternity, whereupon a delightful conversation ensures. Still others are intrigued and might eventually come around. But others (maybe 5%) see the light and join up. (Of course, I council patience during the learning curve and recommend TSN to any and all!)

What's even better is when these gentlemen come back with their reactions.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with wet shaving evangelism!Angel

2 610
 07-21-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
I don't see many people anymore. I live in Rural Maine, am retired and simply don't have the face to face contact with the people I did before climbing into my hole (by choice). But when I did have contact with over a thousand people, I just let it slip in conversation. I spent virtually no time "convincing" on anyone who showed no interest. Those who showed an interest I followed up with additional conversation about blade shaving. Those folks in the latter category I was quite successful in converting. The others not so much, and I couldn't hazard a guess as to %ages. But time wise well over 80% of my time was spent on the few.

I spend way more of my time anymore trying to get noobs up to speed. Once we get 'em started we need to make sure they have what they need to make it work for themselves.

32 6,458
 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
I find that the transition can be difficult for the non-believer. Sure the soaps and creams can be an easy sell. I mean what's not to like about TOBS Sandalwood or RazoRock XXX. Brushes are somewhat harder, but if you sell the wonders of the soaps and creams its almost natural for the brush to follow. The hard part is the DE and its sharp "angry" razor blade(Oh My!!). It takes time and skill to master a DFS. Most are not willing to make that leap to the dark side. For the low information shaver, the carts are safer and more convenient. It takes more work on our part to get the prospect up to super speed...Gillette that is.

0 1,007
 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Everyone I find remotely interested, I send them my referral link. It's nice to see how many have used that link to join the website.

18 1,186
 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
All of my efforts fall onto deaf ears. I'm in the 30 age bracket where we are in the work force with disposable incomes and shave daily. I envisioned everyone getting into it and we can swap gear. Nope, I've given away countless soaps, razors, and brushes but for the most part there is zero interest. I stopped talking about it and will wait for the day it catches on. I find that if they're not already interested, it's a tough sell. I'll be there if/when they want to.

4 355
 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM
User Info
I think it comes down to the notion of what some friends of mine used to call "teachable moments." You have to pique their interest--get them to ask a question about real shaving (sort of like the soaps and cremes discussion Aaron mentions)--then gently steer the conversation in the right direction. Even then, most are not interested, but when they are (as Clinton points out), it's great!

2 610
 07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
Precisely...teachable moments. Every convert that I reached had had more than enough with carts. Those were the successful. As I wrote, I used the shotgun approach for the masses then used a bullet on the selected few. (Sorry for the analogy, but it works.)

32 6,458
 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
User Info
A birthday gift or Christmas present with the DE as the main character can be a great "In" to the initial evangelism. If I opened a Birthday gift and it had a shiny new Merkur HD inside, I would definitely ask questions about what it is and how it functions. Another way to indoctrinate is to give DE razors, soaps, brushes etc. to your best man and the groomsman. A great touch would be to have their names engraved on the razor and brush handle...a keeper for life.

0 1,007
 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM
User Info
(07-21-2014, 03:35 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: A birthday gift or Christmas present with the DE as the main character can be a great "In" to the initial evangelism. If I opened a Birthday gift and it had a shiny new Merkur HD inside, I would definitely ask questions about what it is and how it functions. Another way to indoctrinate is to give DE razors, soaps, brushes etc. to your best man and the groomsman. A great touch would be to have their names engraved on the razor and brush handle...a keeper for life.
Now THERE is an idea!

2 610
 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM
User Info
For some of my friends in other states, I put in orders for their birthdays so the packages were delivered to them directly. Those have been more successful. For the rest, I don't take it as a failure. I think of it as planting a seed and some day it'll bloom, or not. Either way I threw seeds everywhere.

4 355
 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM
User Info
We are all missionaries to one extent or another. At times I think to myself, "I would really like to keep this a secret just among us my brothers." However, my personality will not permit such things. The simple pleasures like traditional wet shaving is a treat that the non-believer must have knowledge of, or remain in the dull dreariness of cart and goo. How can I not say something?

0 1,007
 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Like Dad, I'm retired (not by choice) and don't have anywhere near the contact with people I did in my working life. But when the opportunity arises I do a little passive proselytizing. Mostly I push the one part of wet shaving that makes the biggest difference in the results, brush and soap or cream. I tell them to just try that for awhile and the rest will probably follow.

7 2,322
 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM
User Info
beautiful thoughts by all of you. when we have something beautiful or pleasurable, it becomes tough to keep it to ourselves. the very act of spreading and sharing multiplies our happiness.

1 495
 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM
User Info
I also seem to hook my friends with the brush & soap. Once they try it, they don't want to go back. The razors are a bit trickier as they just don't want to seem to put the effort to learn how to use them. Nonetheless, I have converted a few friends. Biggrin

82 21,077
 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM
User Info
For me, I've found that they either are interested, or not.

Of the 2 guys I converted at work, the first saw me looking at razors online, asked about it, then jumped right in with me giving him advice.

The second guy took a while longer. I didn't try to convert him, but he kept hearing me and the first guy talking about the great shaves we're getting, the scents of the creams, and other things. He's a young guy, around 30, and he finally said he wants to try it out since he gets so irritated using carts. Once he tried it, he loved it, and even said he wants to get he son shaving this way when he's old enough.

For the most part, I don't try to sell anyone on it anymore. They know I do it, and they ask questions if they're interested.

0 54
 07-22-2014, 03:58 AM
User Info
I don't try to convert anyone, but am not opposed to offering up some information or advice if I am asked. A co-worker brought in mid 60's slim and asked me about and how it worked. I took it, cleaned it up and set him up with some blades, a brush, and a stick of Arko. I had him start with the soap and brush for a week then move in to the DE. 2 years later he is still using the same razor and loving it. He really has no interest in going any further, but won't go back to the carts.

18 586
 07-22-2014, 05:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Personally, I don't like being preached at about something I have no interest in and so try not to bore others that same way. That is a good way to alienate people.

Shaving is such a mundane part of peoples lives that they are mostly content with how and what they use. OTH I would not be adverse to advising somebody who indicated that they were dissatisfied with their shave routine. So far nobody has indicated any dissatisfaction.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
User Info
I've successfully converted 2 people at work. One, a young buck who took about a year to decide. The other, a semi-retired guy who had heard me talking about it and came and asked for advice.
For the ones who are resistant, what I've come across the most is the disbelief that something that used to be a dreaded chore could turn into an activity that is looked forward to.

1 13
 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
Kind of like teaching your son - don't lecture, just let them observe until they tell you they are interested, as if it is their idea. For example, I went on a golf trip a couple years ago and shared a bathroom with a friend. I had my 34C, Wee Scot, LaToja stick, alum and an AS splash.It piqued his interest and now he is a convert. Best to lead ny example, although with wet shaving those times don't come around too often.

0 61
 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-21-2014, 11:00 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: The vast majority listen politely and move on--perhaps extolling the virtues(?) of their plastic disposablesConfused.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with wet shaving evangelism!Angel

I apologize that I simply do not understand the implied linkage between "wet shaving" and DE shaving, and the implied dichotomy between "wet shaving" and "plastic disposables."

I have been using brushes to make lather before shaving for 40 years, and for the great majority of that time, I have been shaving with a cartridge razor. I think that I have been wet shaving all of that time. Perhaps (but I doubt it) you are making a subtle distinction between cartridge razors and "plastic disposables"? I agree that disposable razors generally are less fancy than "permanent" cartridge razors, but (generally) I think that they probably cut whiskers just as well.

I am currently in a long-term trial of DE shaving, in which I am giving the DE razor the same respect as I always have given to cartridge razors, i.e., wet shaving. I refuse to prejudge the eventual outcome of the trial, but if I had to give up one today, the DE would go, and the cartridge razor would stay. But -- whichever way -- the wet shaving would remain a constant.

Fortunately, I do not have to give up one or the other today.

1 1,086