05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Does the term BBS mean a complete absence of stubble no matter how hard you press and even pressing hard and rubbing against the grain?

0 396
 05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
It's a "baby butt shave"; press the skin as hard as you would a babies butt. That is, little to no pressure. It should be as smooth as skin that never had a hair at all.

I believe the test at barber school was (is?) to pass a cotton ball over the skin and if the cotton wasn't "caught" it was a BBS. Not pressed into the skin, just sort of waved over it with the pressure of the loose cotton.

32 6,309
 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 06:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's a "baby butt shave"; press the skin as hard as you would a babies butt. That is, little to no pressure. It should be as smooth as skin that never had a hair at all.

I believe the test at barber school was (is?) to pass a cotton ball over the skin and if the cotton wasn't "caught" it was a BBS. Not pressed into the skin, just sort of waved over it with the pressure of the loose cotton.

THANK YOU Shadowsdad. I'm much closer to a BBS than I imagined. On my face it's perfect BBS. On my neck it's BBS in more places than not. I'm only at day 7 in my return to DE shaving after being away for 40 years. Thanks to your response now I have an objective test to determine BBS. I'm going to try it tomorrow!

0 396
 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Dave, different parts of where you shave will be easier to get BBS than others. Many of us don't have too much trouble working down the sideburn and cheek areas but more on the neck. You are much better off with just DFS and no irritation than trying for BBS and irritating your skin where it may be more difficult to get that "perfect" shave.

2 11,211
 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 06:53 PM)freddy Wrote: Dave, different parts of where you shave will be easier to get BBS than others. Many of us don't have too much trouble working down the sideburn and cheek areas but more on the neck. You are much better off with just DFS and no irritation than trying for BBS and irritating your skin where it may be more difficult to get that "perfect" shave.

Thanks Freddy. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I think my obsession with BBS comes from the fact that I never got a shave in a barbershop and am just really curious as to how to get BBS. I came closer today than ever and had no irritation, no burn, no nicks. I'm using a Weishi 9306 and am just wondering if I need to change razors. I hate the idea of striving for something if I can't attain it with this particular razor.

Thanks for the post. Wink

0 396
 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-18-2012, 06:58 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 06:53 PM)freddy Wrote: Dave, different parts of where you shave will be easier to get BBS than others. Many of us don't have too much trouble working down the sideburn and cheek areas but more on the neck. You are much better off with just DFS and no irritation than trying for BBS and irritating your skin where it may be more difficult to get that "perfect" shave.

Thanks Freddy. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I think my obsession with BBS comes from the fact that I never got a shave in a barbershop and am just really curious as to how to get BBS. I came closer today than ever and had no irritation, no burn, no nicks. I'm using a Weishi 9306 and am just wondering if I need to change razors. I hate the idea of striving for something if I can't attain it with this particular razor.

It could be many factors including razor, blade, a combination of the two, etc. However, it sounds as if you pretty much have things going nicely. Just enjoy the ride for a while. When you're comfortable with what you're doing, and reasonably pleased with the results you're getting, that may be the time to experiment with other razors/blades.

Today, for example, I used my 1907 Ever Ready lather catcher and got a fantastic BBS shave, even on my neck, which for me can be difficult. No nicks, no irritation. With some of my other favorite razors I can get superb results but maybe not quite as close as I like on the neck. I recognize that and accept it. Besides, the only one who knows is me and I'm not about to tell anyone. Biggrin

2 11,211
 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 07:11 PM)freddy Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 06:58 PM)uncledave Wrote:

It could be many factors including razor, blade, a combination of the two, etc. However, it sounds as if you pretty much have things going nicely. Just enjoy the ride for a while. When you're comfortable with what you're doing, and reasonably pleased with the results you're getting, that may be the time to experiment with other razors/blades.

Today, for example, I used my 1907 Ever Ready lather catcher and got a fantastic BBS shave, even on my neck, which for me can be difficult. No nicks, no irritation. With some of my other favorite razors I can get superb results but maybe not quite as close as I like on the neck. I recognize that and accept it. Besides, the only one who knows is me and I'm not about to tell anyone. Biggrin

Heh heh heh. I don't tell either. Biggrin I'm probably expecting too much too soon. Even at this current stage I'm getting better shaves than I ever got before, regardless or razor or blades. When I shaved with DE razors 40 years ago I knew no technique whatever. Just scrape, scrape, scrape. I switched to cartridges when they first came out. Got acceptable shaves with them but always had stubble. Now with a DE and much better technique I'm getting very very good shaves.

I've only cut myself once. I wasn't even moving the razor. It fell slightly and that was enough to give me a nice little slice. I have to be careful of these lapses of control. Undecided

0 396
 05-18-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
I agree with what's been written so far.

I'd relax for awhile and just let it happen. Learn the basics and get them down. You may have fallen into great shaves rapidly, but if you don't concentrate on the basics and getting them right 100% you could get irritation. You're doing fine, concentrate on that for now. BBSs will come all on their own.

If you're a new blade shaver, I'd say you're doing great.

What are you using for hardware?

32 6,309
 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 08:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I agree with what's been written so far.

I'd relax for awhile and just let it happen. Learn the basics and get them down. You may have fallen into great shaves rapidly, but if you don't concentrate on the basics and getting them right 100% you could get irritation. You're doing fine, concentrate on that for now. BBSs will come all on their own.

If you're a new blade shaver, I'd say you're doing great.

What are you using for hardware?

I'm not completely new to DE but I have just returned to it after a 40 year absence. I'm using a Weishi 9306, van der Hagen soap, and a boar brush.

0 396
 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
+1 Would have to agree with Freddy and continue doing what you are doing for a while longer, then you can try another razor when you are confident with your technique. Enjoy your shaves.

75 20,883
 05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
Yes, what Celestino wrote.

Unless I'm mistaken the Weishi is a fairly mild razor. Eventually you may want something more aggressive to make a BBS easier to achieve. But for now concentrate on the basics: great lather, no pressure, no irritation, and be patient. It'll pay off in the long term.

I wouldn't change anything for awhile. Just keep repeating what you're doing and make it better every time. As good as your shaves are now, I can almost guarantee they can be better.

Do you have a blade sampler? If not a really great blade can be a game changer also. No one can tell you what blades will be great for you, only you can do that and there is no way other than for you to have them and test them in your razor on your skin. If you order one now, by the time it gets to you you'll be ready to change that variable. Change only one variable at a time for now. If you change more than one at this point you won't know what change affected the shave- that's chaos. Don't do it. You'll get better shaves faster by changing only one variable at a time. Resist the urge to do more at this time.

You're off to a great start though.

Just an off the wall question... Have you used a blade in the past? Scratch that question, as horrible as I am with names I remembered yours, and I just looked up your introduction. You've used blades in the past. Us old farts catch on quicker than the young bucks because we've been there and it's in the grey matter already; it's buried, but it's there. You'll get there in a heartbeat compared to others and you already have. I've seen it happen more often than not. That explains the rapid learning curve. You'll know when you're ready for more, so go at your own pace. I'd still only change one variable at a time though. I'd also get a sampler. You'll do fine!

BTW, welcome to the golden age of blade shaving! The selection of "stuff" is absolutely astonishing.

32 6,309
 05-18-2012, 09:23 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 09:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, what Celestino wrote.

Unless I'm mistaken the Weishi is a fairly mild razor. Eventually you may want something more aggressive to make a BBS easier to achieve. But for now concentrate on the basics: great lather, no pressure, no irritation, and be patient. It'll pay off in the long term.

I wouldn't change anything for awhile. Just keep repeating what you're doing and make it better every time. As good as your shaves are now, I can almost guarantee they can be better.

Do you have a blade sampler? If not a really great blade can be a game changer also. No one can tell you what blades will be great for you, only you can do that and there is no way other than for you to have them and test them in your razor on your skin. If you order one now, by the time it gets to you you'll be ready to change that variable. Change only one variable at a time for now. If you change more than one at this point you won't know what change affected the shave- that's chaos. Don't do it. You'll get better shaves faster by changing only one variable at a time. Resist the urge to do more at this time.

You're off to a great start though.

Just an off the wall question... Have you used a blade in the past?

Thanks again for the great advice. I don't have a blade sampler but will soon order one. So far I've tried 2 blades, the Dorco and the cheapies from the Dollar Store. I can't tell any difference yet.

0 396
 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 07:22 PM)uncledave Wrote: Now with a DE and much better technique I'm getting very very good shaves.

Then you have achieved the goal of traditional wetshaving. Anything additional will be icing on the cake.

0 303
 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-18-2012, 09:30 PM)Tbone Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 07:22 PM)uncledave Wrote: Now with a DE and much better technique I'm getting very very good shaves.

Then you have achieved the goal of traditional wetshaving. Anything additional will be icing on the cake.

Thanks Tbone!

0 396
 05-19-2012, 01:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
BBS is the goal, but enjoying the shave is the most important part of this game IMO!

91 17,835
 05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
User Info
UncleDave, PM me yor address and I'll send you the following:
Gillette slim adjustable (great condition)
Blade sampler (lots of blades)
ToBS shave cream "Mr. Taylor" (used 2 times)
Speick A/S (nearly full)
Vie-Long LE Horse and Badger brush (used less than 10 times)

9 451
 05-19-2012, 03:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-19-2012, 03:06 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: UncleDave, PM me yor address and I'll send you the following:
Speick A/S (nearly full)

The generosity of our membership never ceases to amaze me!

91 17,835
 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Well done John!

32 6,309
 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Well done! Great read!

0 539
 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-19-2012, 03:06 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: UncleDave, PM me yor address and I'll send you the following:
Speick A/S (nearly full)

This is astounding. I didn't think generosity like this still existed. Thank you very much John.

0 396