07-22-2014, 07:06 PM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
Hi everyone,

I'm new to The Shave Nook and the online universe of traditional wet shaving.

I'm also pretty new to the art itself - I have between 6 months and a year of experience shaving with DE razors. So far, it's been a wonderful journey! I often have a beard, but had to lop it off for a job interview and haven't grown it back since.

My first and only DE razor to date is the Merkur 37C slant. I bought it on advice from a friend, who thought it would work well for my coarse facial hair and sensitive skin. It performs wonderfully for me most of the time, but I get some occasional redness and irritation on my neck (between chin and Adam's apple). I typically use Astra SP and Feather blades. They are effective and generally comfortable.

I am curious about getting a new razor - perhaps a non-slant. I was just wondering if this is a good move, or a step that might not be very fruitful. While I enjoy my Merkur 37C, I am interested in seeing what improvements/difference, if any, a non-slant DE would bring.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts? Specific models of non-slant I've considered are the Edwin Jagger DE89 (also the DE89 Barley model), the Muhle R89 (also the R89 Grande), and the Merkur 38C barberpole.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Alex

5 57
 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(07-22-2014, 07:06 PM)dimitrof Wrote: ... I get some occasional redness and irritation on my neck (between chin and Adam's apple).
Gear in use is not important as technique you use with it: study your Face Mapping, and take your time.

All the shaver above are good choices. Wink

0 1,140
 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
Alex, firstly, welcome to The Shave Nook. If you have time, you should introduce yourself in the 'Introductions' section.

Secondly, the Merkur HD 34C is a very good razor along with the Edwin Jagger 89 series, and the Weber PH is also something to consider as it is stainless steel. You can also try a vintage razor. There really are so many different options and you should choose one that you seem to gravitate towards.

Best of luck.

83 21,077
 07-23-2014, 02:55 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2014, 07:46 PM)ischiapp Wrote:
(07-22-2014, 07:06 PM)dimitrof Wrote: ... I get some occasional redness and irritation on my neck (between chin and Adam's apple).
Gear in use is not important as technique you use with it: study your Face Mapping, and take your time.

Yea, generally I find that when I have irritation after shaving that it is not the gear but rather a lack of technique that is the problem. Might be too much pressure on the razor and/or a bad angle on the razor in that spot.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-23-2014, 03:18 AM
User Info
You might want to consider some open comb razors as well. There are a number of them out there that are not expensive at all.

121 13,123
 07-23-2014, 04:20 AM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook, Alex. I think you've come to a great place for advice. To that end, I agree with the others who've suggested that technique is the key element in successful wet shaving. I find that when I get irritation it's because I've rushed: not prepped sufficiently, applied too much pressure to the razor, taken strokes just a bit too long, etc. You could also be trying to get a little too much "life" out of a blade.

But that said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying other razors--indeed, that's half the fun of our hobby! All the razors mentioned are, I think, great choices.

Another brand you might consider are the Parker razors. They've sometimes gotten a bad rap on the forums, but I think they've improved a lot over the years and right now are better made than at least one or two of the "name" razors. They are a bit more aggressive than many of the razors discussed, but I find that's easily resolved by using a slightly milder blade--(say) a Red Personna v. (perhaps) a Feather--IMO.

Full disclosure: I have a custom-handled Parker in my rotation. It was my favorite ax until a 39c Barberpole came along.Smile (Candidly, I think a lot of my "favoritism" depends on my mood of the moment. Great shaves can be had by just about all.)

I guess my bottom line is to relax, take your time, try a few different razors gradually to see which one (or ones) work best for you. But most of all, have fun! Life's too short. You're already on the right path.

2 616
 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
(07-22-2014, 07:46 PM)ischiapp Wrote:

I agree with this. Take the time to learn how to properly use what you already have.

37 1,743
 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
You have a great friend advising you to buy that razor. I also have coarse hair and sensitive skin. You aren't missing anything bc I gave away my DEs after using the 37c. It comes down to your lather and technique. Starting with that razor would have saved me time and money.

4 355
 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM
User Info
The short answer is: yes

0 112
 08-02-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
Hi Alex, and again, welcome. It sounds like you have a great thing going right now and the redness and irritation could be a couple of things. Like others have said, continuing to work on technique can help. Have you tried working on other aspects of your shave as well? For example, I would get irritation in a couple of spots but it helped me a lot when I started using a pre-shave oil under the lather.

As far as trying other razors, there is nothing wrong with that at all. It’s hard for me to make recommendations on modern razors because I only have three and my daily shaver is a vintage Gillette. My favorite and probably my most satisfying modern razor purchases was a RazoRock Classic TTO. IMO, these perform equally or better than other brands and are priced very reasonably. (Keep in mind that I am comparing this razor to only two other modern razors, a EJ DE89 and a Mekur Long Handle so I don’t know if my statement applies to others) They offer TTO as well as a couple of three pieces, both open and closed comb. I don’t have much more for you on the moderns because that is my only modern that I use regularly.

I can tell you that the EJ seems slightly more aggressive that the Merkur and both of those are not quite aggressive enough for me.

Personally, I like the way a good vintage shaves. These also vary but if you wanted to try going that route, you could do a lot worse than a Gillette Tech. There are a couple of vintage adjustables that you can experiment with as well.
Just some food for thought.

0 22
 08-04-2014, 11:06 AM
User Info
I really enjoy my Merkur 38C. You might notice that you don't get quite as close a shave with it as you do with your 37C but it can deliver a beautiful shave with minimal irritation. +1 on the idea that technique matters more than equipment but for me slants still produce a closer shave than standard closed comb razors do.

74 2,274
 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
One very important variable that new slant shavers overlook is the blade.

Just because you get great results with Feathers in one DE, don't assume that your new-to-you slant will perform just as well or better with the same blade.

In fact, you will discover that previously discarded or rejected blade brands actually work better in a slant.

For me, I found that Derbys worked great in my vintage Merkur slant, but not so great with other non-slant DE razors, while Feathers in this same slant was an exercise in bathroom blood donation.

But in any slant, a subtle technique and face mapping will pay off no matter what slant and blade combination that you use.

-joedy

12 87
 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(08-06-2014, 01:41 PM)joedy Wrote: But in any slant, a subtle technique and face mapping will pay off no matter what slant and blade combination that you use.

-joedy

I would say "in any razor" Smile

4 447
 08-07-2014, 01:55 AM
User Info
+1 on the Weber PH. I got mine after my merkur slant, and I never use my slant anymore. To me, it is at least as efficient at cutting off stubble, and much smoother. I really like the bulldog handle too.

1 40
 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Buy more razors if you have the money, have the storage space, and have been touched by RAD.

1 819