07-24-2014, 08:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What water based pomades do you gentlemen recommend? Has to be water based as I do not like to use oil based products on my hair.

178 23,832
 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM
User Info
What kind of hair do you have? What hold do you prefer?
I really like Suavecito Firme, but I have a tin of Layrite Super Hold I haven't used. I used Reuzel's water based product and it worked fairly well. Imperial also makes great pomade.

6 229
 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Let's just say my hair is thinning a little and I like a medium hold.

178 23,832
 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
User Info
Bonafide pomade is a great water based pomade with a nice fresh scent, Suavecito is also very good and has a cologne scent to it. Royalshave.com has Bonafide on sale for $8 which is a good deal. J.S. Sloan is also very good but a little pricey but check Royalshave, Pomades.com, or Pomade.com

0 143
 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
User Info
Check into pomade.com's website. They have options to click on for different holds. You could look into Shiner Gold too. It's a firmer hold, but it's a fantastic product.

6 229
 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
The best water-based pomades I've used are Shiner Gold, Suavecito, and Layrite Super Shine. I don't think you can go wrong with Suavecito or Shiner Gold; this particular Layrite is a different consistency (more of a cream) and doesn't have a great scent, but it works well.

60 849
 07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks gents for the info. To start with I have order a Suavecito Original Formula pomade. We will see how it goes. If it does not work for me I will try another. They seem like nice folks to deal with.

178 23,832
 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
I use suavecito. My hair still falls out of place during the day due to the high heat right now. In the winter it held for longer. I think.

I used to use J crew, but never really liked it that much. Just couldn't find a better product.

9 3,038
 07-27-2014, 06:39 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Johnny try Dax Super Neat - it has a waxy firm hold but washes out super easy. Very inexpensive so if you do not like it no big loss. I've found it difficult to find the best water based pomade for me - it's so personal and dependent on your hair type that it is hard to go on recommendations you just have to try a bunch. Dax is pretty darn good for me but still looking for that perfect water based product that gives a nice sheen and lasts all day!

15 188
 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM
User Info
I was a gel-guy for the longest time until I started following a few barbers on Instagram and saw them using Layrite.

I ordered a tub on Amazon and will not use anything else.

You just need to find the correct damp hair to pomade ratio. I use it with towel dried hair and comb it through.

I would recommend for you to go on Instagram and check out the hairstyles achieved using the Layrite.

Suavecito and Uppercut are also in the same league as Layrite.

Try it out...

0 15
 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM
User Info
(07-25-2014, 03:13 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I use suavecito. My hair still falls out of place during the day due to the high heat right now. In the winter it held for longer. I think.

I used to use J crew, but never really liked it that much. Just couldn't find a better product.

There's so many pomade brands out of the Phoenix area. I have about 6 that are from the area.

6 229
 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
I really dig the uppercut deluxe pomade. One of the only pomades I have found to actually hold my very fine hair. Recommendations for pomades.com and pomade.com are both great!

47 385
 03-03-2015, 07:00 PM
  • Carson
  • Adelaide, Australia
User Info
I use Layrite (regular hold).

I like that you don't need to cake it on for it to work & it washes out very easily.

Oh and you can re wet it and re style and it wont flake on you.

0 108
 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info
For water based, I use Dapper Dan Deluxe (Medium Hold) and Tres Flores Molding Pomade. Those pomades work best with dry hair according to my experience. I also have a tin of 550 Extra Firm on the way. 

2 396
 03-04-2015, 11:46 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I also picked up some Johnny B. "Dope" recently at my local barber shop and I like it a lot.
http://www.johnnybhaircare.com/product/d...xture-gel/

60 849
 03-15-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
Here are some other suggestions on water based pomades if you are still looking. 

1. Uppercut Deluxe- has a light coconut scent, combs easily, very nice hold, medium shine, and kind of has a coca cola look when in the can. This one can also be found locally in America. Go to almost any Zumiez store in the mall and check it out for yourself. 

2. Type 550 Firm or Extra Firm- this is the in house brand made by Pomades.com. It has a translucent appearance in the jar, very neutral clean scent, has a gel-like feel, but stays malleable. The shine is on the lower end of the spectrum. 

2 396
 10-25-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
If you want something that doesn't harden, try Teddy Boy Original.  Layrite is good as well, but it will harden like gel

0 7
 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM
User Info
I like Layrite and have used it almost exclusively, but as with anything else I had to try some new stuff. I found Suavecito to be nice and does a good job and I've got a order of uppercut on the way.

0 154
 11-01-2015, 03:57 PM
User Info
Railcar Finegoods Pomade enables me to comb my hair into a nice parted style that looks natural.  It is not stiff.  It has a good, unobtrusive fragrance to it.  I use very little so it lasts a long time.  I like high quality grooming gear and everything about Railcar is good.  I've used American Crew Fiber and Suavecito Firme; I prefer Railcar.

2 81
 11-13-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
I have always used Tres Flores, but I would like to try something different. I heard Bryd and Cock Grease are really good. Sometimes its hard to slick my hair back, need something with a real good strong hold. Oh, and I will have a can of Dapper Dan, just because..  Biggrin

0 16