05-19-2012, 01:56 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Acquiring a pre loved brush is much like acquiring a pre loved razor. I like to know it's clean. Obviously daily use with soap would suggest it is, so my approach may in fact be over kill.

In the past I've used a "traditional" method of dish soap and vinegar, but I've recently discovered a product specifically made for cleaning brushes.

SWMBO directed me to this one:
[attachment=2244][attachment=2245]
MAC brush cleanser.
SWMBO uses it on her make-up brushes.

The makers claim:
"This one product will clean, disinfect and condition the brush fibers so that brushes will last longer. It is convenient to use and is specifically designed to extend the life of high quality brushes. Brush Cleanser leaves your brushes smelling fresh and clean, and helps shorten their drying time."

I found the MAC brush cleanser is gentle, expedites the process and there's no harsh vinegar smell.

It's certainly not a necessity, but it's a product I like to use.

91 17,876
 05-19-2012, 04:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I did a further search and also found this product:

[attachment=2248]
Gold Dachs Shaving Brush Cleaner

Quote: Spray the Gold Dachs Shaving Brush Cleaner directly onto the brush or a cosmetic tissue. Then remove residue particles with a clean paper towel. The brush cleaner not only cleans the brush, but also disinfects it.

http://www.royalshave.com/p/411-075-...h-cleaner.html

I haven't used it, so I can't really comment further on it...

91 17,876
 05-19-2012, 05:04 AM
User Info
(05-19-2012, 01:56 AM)ben74 Wrote: Acquiring a pre loved brush is much like acquiring a pre loved razor. I like to know it's clean. Obviously daily use with soap would suggest it is, so my approach may in fact be over kill.

In the past I've used a "traditional" method of dish soap and vinegar, but I've recently discovered a product specifically made for cleaning brushes.

MAC brush cleanser.

The makers claim:
"This one product will clean, disinfect and condition the brush fibers so that brushes will last longer. It is convenient to use and is specifically designed to extend the life of high quality brushes. Brush Cleanser leaves your brushes smelling fresh and clean, and helps shorten their drying time."

I found the MAC brush cleanser is gentle, expedites the process and there's no harsh vinegar smell.

Excellent tip. I am going to order some of this.

Here is the link to the company for the lowest pricing.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/135/...ull-_-Null

1 2,827
 05-19-2012, 05:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-19-2012, 05:04 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 01:56 AM)ben74 Wrote: Acquiring a pre loved brush is much like acquiring a pre loved razor. I like to know it's clean. Obviously daily use with soap would suggest it is, so my approach may in fact be over kill.

MAC brush cleanser.

The makers claim:

Happy you approve, SWMBO just used the last of mine, so I need to re-order too!

91 17,876
 05-19-2012, 05:25 AM
User Info
(05-19-2012, 05:14 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 05:04 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:

MAC brush cleanser.

The makers claim:

It is interesting that you brought this up. The H.I.S. synthetic shaving brush is made by a brush company that specializes in artistry (painting) and high end cosmetic brushes and they are making the move into shaving brushes. I did some research on their site and noticed how sophisticated their natural and synthetic cosmetic brushes were and how they related well to their shaving brush.

When I saw your post I realized that this is the type of product I should be using rather than shampoo with a small very diluted mixture of Marvicide. I diluted the Marvicide about 1/4 of the strength the was recommended for razors, but still was not satisfied.

Thanks for the tip on this. I will let you know how it works out.

1 2,827
 05-19-2012, 05:36 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-19-2012, 05:25 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 05:14 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 05:04 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: Excellent tip. I am going to order some of this.

It is interesting that you brought this up. The H.I.S. synthetic shaving brush is made by a brush company that specializes in artistry (painting) and high end cosmetic brushes and they are making the move into shaving brushes. I did some research on their site and noticed how sophisticated their natural and synthetic cosmetic brushes were and how they related well to their shaving brush.

When I saw your post I realized that this is the type of product I should be using rather than shampoo with a small very diluted mixture of Marvicide. I diluted the Marvicide about 1/4 of the strength the was recommended for razors, but still was not satisfied.

Thanks for the tip on this. I will let you know how it works out.

You're welcome!

My wife is well informed on things relating to fashion including cosmetics. She has an expensive collection of natural fibre make-up brushes and required a product to maintain them. I pinched the idea from her! Works well for my brushes and much better than having them smell like vinegar! (I even tried apple cider vinegar in the past to try for a better smell!)

91 17,876
 05-19-2012, 06:06 AM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
I have an old barber shop style tall glass Barbicide jar that I keep by the bathroom sink. It's full of its namesake product (properly diluted per the usage instructions), making it easy for me to sanitize all pre-loved shaving equipment I acquire. I've never thought in terms of maintaining/conditionig the bristles on brushes, because I've been of the opinion that a thorough rinsing after each use will accomplish that goal.

Maybe I need to re-think the bristle maintenance issue Huh

30 237
 05-19-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
I use a light solution of Barbicide and do a 10 minute soak of the bristles up to the handle and then I do a rinse in warm water. I then do a lathering up of the brush to do away with any residual barbicide that might still be on the brush. After rinsing that off I just let the brush dry and it's ready for use.

Clayton

6 617
 05-19-2012, 07:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will have to give this product a try.

Ben, do not use apple cider vinegar. It has sugars in it and sugars are not good for the badger hair or the pig hair.

173 23,555
 05-19-2012, 07:21 AM
User Info
(05-19-2012, 07:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: I will have to give this product a try.

Ben, do not use apple cider vinegar. It has sugars in it and sugars are not good for the badger hair or the pig hair.

Thanks Johnny for the tip on the apple cider vinegar. I'll save it for the bread and butter pickles Smile.

Clayton

6 617
 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-19-2012, 07:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: I will have to give this product a try.

Good advice Johnny. The brush cleanser above is all I use now.

91 17,876
 05-26-2012, 02:41 PM
User Info
Not sure about sanitizing. I've always used Em's method for brush cleaning.

http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

12 96
 05-26-2012, 04:49 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I use Mar-v-cide, label says sage for brushes. Bought it at Sally Beauty Supply locally.

136 1,952
 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
My two bottles of MAC arrived on Thursday. I will be interested to use them to see how the cleaner does.

1 2,827
 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tip, Ben.

75 20,884
 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 04:56 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: My two bottles of MAC arrived on Thursday. I will be interested to use them to see how the cleaner does.

I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on it...

91 17,876
 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 04:56 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: My two bottles of MAC arrived on Thursday. I will be interested to use them to see how the cleaner does.

I will be interested in your opinion of the MAC. I have been using Barbicide to clean/disinfect my brushes.

29 1,731