07-25-2014, 07:02 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
I have been working with my laser wizard to see if he could cut some pieces for me that I could effectively fashion into a Barber Pole. After a box load of "near misses", we arrived at the handle shown below (fit with an Edwin Jagger head).

The red and blue stripes are made of dyed Box Elder and the white stripes are natural American Holly. The individual pieces were cut on the laser and then assembled by hand prior to turning. The handle was then finished with multiple coats of a a marine based product originally designed for sailboat decks and is completely waterproof.

The fittings are custom made solid Stainless Steel and will accept most 3-piece heads, such as Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, etc. The handle is also designed so that it may be fitted to a Merkur 2-part HD razor (34C, 37C, 38C or 39C).

All the parts, except the 3-piece razor head or the Merkur HD razors, are made in the US.

The prototype below turned out great and I would like to see if there is an interest in a limited run of 15 - 20 handles in this style. The cost of the 3-piece handle, as shown in the last picture, would be $60.

Please reply to this email if this is something you might like to see in your shave den. Thanks, Bob

[Image: Shwgl2P.jpg][Image: v79N00G.jpg][Image: aG8PIS0.jpg]

4 346
 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
Oh my...that is pretty and classy. (And with regard to Lutebro's suggestion: to each his own, but I think writing would be "busy" on the clean design.)

8 915
 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Very nice! Would you be able to put your name (elite razor) in one of the colored strips in that nice cursive writing? I really like the makers name on my things Smile

58 1,312
 07-25-2014, 09:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Looks great Bob, reminds me of this one you made for me...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=13043]

I'd definitely purchase it on a 39C.

99 18,011
 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
(07-25-2014, 07:36 AM)Lutebro Wrote: Very nice! Would you be able to put your name (elite razor) in one of the colored strips in that nice cursive writing? I really like the makers name on my things Smile

I've struggled for a long time about the idea of branding my work and have elected not to pursue it. Many years ago (in my furniture building days), I was heavily influenced by the functional beauty of Shaker furniture and craftsmanship. These original pieces were not signed by the builder. The pursuit was simply to build a piece "which perfectly answers the purpose for which it was designed”.

While I try to accommodate beauty by the choice of materials, I strive for functional purpose in the design. I build each piece to be "owned" by someone else and I am merely holding it in safekeeping until they arrive. Once one of my razors or brushes is purchased, it has found its' real owner and does not need my name on it.

Thank you for raising the question and providing the opportunity for me to present my thoughts. Bob

4 346
 07-26-2014, 08:19 PM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
well said Bob, that's a great answer. You indeed take great pride in your work, and it shows in every piece. To answer your initial post, I think the handles look great, and will make some nice additions.

19 278
 07-26-2014, 08:25 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Thanks for the answer Bob. Makes perfect sense!

58 1,312
 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
That looks great! Very pretty work.

10 963
 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
User Info
Great design! I really like the handle and agree with the decision to not label or sign the handle.

32 1,746