07-25-2014, 08:11 AM
User Info
So, I want to connect with people from my area that are into photography. I lost touch with most of my friends from high school and college and spend 100% (too much) of my time with my significant other. A little space and more testosterone will do wonders.

I love photography and want to share my interest with other like minded individuals.

But... it's scary. I've never done this and I haven't hung out with "friends" in a long time. I feel rusty and out of touch.

Has anyone tried one of these "photo walk" type events? If so, how was it?

-Bryan

12 715
 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
I belong to a photo group here in Atlanta on meetup.com. I've had nothing but great times with them. All levels of photographers, helping each other become better. They have a mentor program, and do an exhibit each year. I highly recommend it.

What's the worst that happens? You go to an event, don't like it, and leave the group. Go for it!!

0 54
 07-25-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
Bryan,
You will be hanging out with a group of people who share a passion for something you are obviously passionate about. GI for it ! If I were close by, I'd go with you.

6 1,224
 07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
User Info
I am getting really excited. It's so far out of my comfort zone and it's awesome.

Thanks for the support guys

12 715
 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Byan, you'll be fine. You already do beautiful work so you have as much to offer as you do to learn and isn't that a great balance? Smile

2 11,211
 07-26-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
20140725-MIL_1677.jpg

20140725-MIL_1647.jpg

20140725-MIL_1710.jpg

Here are my three favorite shots from the experience. The experience wasn't bad and I found out about another meetup with a professional photographer that I plan on going to next Smile

12 715
 07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Excellent. Let us know how the meet-up with the professional photographer goes.

Bryan, you already take such beautiful photos that you have a head start. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
Looks like you enjoyed yourself !!!

6 1,224
 07-26-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. It was fun and very different.

12 715
 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
User Info
Sounds like it was enjoyable! Keep us in the loop.

There was a time a few years ago when I belonged to a semi local camera club out of Augusta Maine, but I'd had enough when it started to be cliquey. I decided I didn't need to pay dues so that "they" could have $ to do what "they" wanted. Too, it started to get political, that is, with cheap shots taken at folks with different political philosophies. At that point it became too much to pay dues and drive 20+ miles one way to listen to that BS.

I find photography to be a more solitary pursuit anyway. If I have someone along I tend to not take the time to set up for "the shot" because I know they're waiting and I'm intruding on their time. If I'm by myself I can set up filtration, move the tripod a few times, and wait for the light to be right and I have no one but myself tugging at my pants leg. If I wanted to enter into competitions I could, one doesn't need to be in a club to do that. I just never want to get involved in all that again. Too, I find plenty to photograph right in my backyard; especially if I go on a macro safari. Again, for that I don't want anyone along, not even my dogs. OK, especially not my dogs. They have to come over and trample everything, "'cause look at that! Dad has something there and it must be interesting 'cause look at him lookin'; at it! Heck, it looks like he's smellin' it now, he's that close to it! Hey Star, come on, let's go see! (pant pant, slobber, lick).". Or at least that's how I think the thought process of theirs works. I love 'em, but I just go for a walk in the forest - alone. :-)

32 6,460
 07-30-2014, 03:10 AM
User Info
I think I need to invest in a Polarizer.

What a pain though - having to purchase one for each lens size.

12 715
 07-30-2014, 07:30 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(07-30-2014, 03:10 AM)bmilcs Wrote: I think I need to invest in a Polarizer.

Is the Cokin Filter System no longer available?

That's what I used to use. That way you only have to have adapter rings for each lens and the holder just moves from adapter to adapter. The system was a wonderful system and I loved it. Very adaptable..

Matter of fact, I still have the holder, a few rings and about 4 filters remaining I think...

Here it is...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt...av-Search=

18 1,186
 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info

Well, no you don't. You can use circular filters with step up/step down rings. They can also be used when stacking filters to prevent vignetting.

As previously written the Cokin system is nice also. But do the have a circular polarizer?

32 6,460
 08-01-2014, 02:00 AM
User Info
I don't have any filters ! It's a shame Sad

12 715
 08-01-2014, 06:58 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(07-31-2014, 08:34 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Well, no you don't. You can use circular filters with step up/step down rings. They can also be used when stacking filters to prevent vignetting.

As previously written the Cokin system is nice also. But do the have a circular polarizer?

They do have a circular polarizer. It's very unique with how it works with the holder. It has tabs so that you can spin it while in the holder. I actually pulled out my holder, polarizer and the filters I have left after posting here. I plan to carry this system over to my new DSLR when I get my money together for it.

I did however use the system extensively with my SLR. The only filter I had attached to the lenses back then were the UV Filters, which you may remember were not overly expensive. The thing I loved about the Cokin filter system was the ability to stack your filters, and creating your own gel filters; not to mention being able to put some filters in sideways and others in vertically. It was quite fun to play around with. Although it did give a few lab techs some frustration back in the day.

It's worth looking into Bryan. If you have a local camera shop nearby, I'd run by and talk to some other professionals about the system, or filters in general if you have not worked with them in the past. Before Photoshop, we did everything on camera and in the lab.

18 1,186