05-19-2012, 03:54 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Scents are difficult to describe, since we perceive them differently. The best way for me, rather than reciting the ingredients, is to describe them with imagery.

Pinaud's classic aftershave Clubman is a sweet reminder of an old barbershop that was the center of the universe. Trumper's Spanish Leather is like drifting into a British parlor perfumed in old memories with Elgar playing on the gramophone.

"A Natural History of the Senses," by Diane Ackerman, is an informative and delightful book on the workings of our senses. It opens with a section on Smell: "Nothing is more memorable than a smell . . ."

As a traditional and gentleman shaver, I have found it to give me useful insight into the fragrance I encounter. Give it a try.

133 2,652
 05-19-2012, 03:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-19-2012, 03:54 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

Scents are difficult to describe, since we perceive them differently. The best way for me, rather than reciting the ingredients, is to describe them with imagery.

Pinaud's classic aftershave Clubman is a sweet reminder of an old barbershop that was the center of the universe. Trumper's Spanish Leather is like drifting into a British parlor perfumed in old memories with Elgar playing on the gramophone.

"A Natural History of the Senses," by Diane Ackerman, is an informative and delightful book on the workings of our senses. It opens with a section on Smell: "Nothing is more memorable than a smell . . ."

As a traditional and gentleman shaver, I have found it to give me useful insight into the fragrance I encounter. Give it a try.

What an incredibly insightful inspiration in to considering scent... I simply must sniff out a copy of this book...

Is this a current publication?

97 17,968
 05-19-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello Ben,
To my knowledge, the book is still available. It's a 1994 publications by Vintage Books, a division of Random House.

133 2,652