07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I am going to get a 22 mm Virginiasheng Pur Tech synthetic knot and would like recommendation on loft settings. I just recently had a Muhle 25mm STF placed in a new handle with the loft reset to 54mm. I really like the new loft setting. I basically only face lather. I use the Simpsons Chubby2 synthetic too and love it. I am thinking a loft of 48-52 for a 22mm synthetic might work. What would your recommendation be?

Bob

0 1,694
 07-26-2014, 04:29 PM
User Info
Ultimately only you can decide what is going to work best. If you have the handle drilled so that you would have a 50mm loft, I'd suggest you use a silicone adhesive to set the knot. Use it a few times and see how you like it. With this type of adhesive you can pull the knot and reset it to a different loft setting if necessary. I've done this many times. The silicone adhesive is not hard to use and not as runny as epoxy. You can get it at most hardware stores. Use washers, cork, even coins to shim the knot to a higher loft setting if you decide 50 mm is too low.

44 486
 07-26-2014, 06:04 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-26-2014, 04:29 PM)AFG008 Wrote: Ultimately only you can decide what is going to work best. If you have the handle drilled so that you would have a 50mm loft, I'd suggest you use a silicone adhesive to set the knot. Use it a few times and see how you like it. With this type of adhesive you can pull the knot and reset it to a different loft setting if necessary. I've done this many times. The silicone adhesive is not hard to use and not as runny as epoxy. You can get it at most hardware stores. Use washers, cork, even coins to shim the knot to a higher loft setting if you decide 50 mm is too low.

Yea I realize the only person who can say for sure is myself and that doing trials at different lofts would be the way to go. The fly in the ointment is that I am not building the brush, someone else is.

That is why I am asking here if anyone has experience with setting the loft on a 22mm synthetic to approximate the feel of a Muhle 25mm STF V2 set to 54mm. This forum seems to have lots of experience with synthetic brushes.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-10-2014, 12:26 AM
User Info
(07-26-2014, 02:42 PM)BobH Wrote: I am going to get a 22 mm Virginiasheng Pur Tech synthetic knot and would like recommendation on loft settings.

Synthetics don't work as Badgers,no worries about the bloom
If you set the knot deep then you will get a tough knot that won't serve you in swirling
Remember that synthetic bristles are not like badgers,they stay in place,they resist when you puss them
Don't compare the attitude of badger bristles with synthetics,set the loft as is from the factory.

0 353
 08-11-2014, 01:39 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-10-2014, 12:26 AM)Doryferon Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 02:42 PM)BobH Wrote: I am going to get a 22 mm Virginiasheng Pur Tech synthetic knot and would like recommendation on loft settings.

Synthetics don't work as Badgers,no worries about the bloom
If you set the knot deep then you will get a tough knot that won't serve you in swirling
Remember that synthetic bristles are not like badgers,they stay in place,they resist when you puss them
Don't compare the attitude of badger bristles with synthetics,set the loft as is from the factory.

Yes, synthetics are different then badgers. I had a Muhle XL STF knot reset in a new handle to a lower 54mm loft and it is much better than the factory loft setting for me. Just wondering how much lower to go than factory with a 22mm synthetic knot.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
I'd say a 12-15mm hole.

9 3,036
 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Longest is best for synthetic otherwise the tips won't splay enough to lather...

74 1,510
 08-13-2014, 02:01 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-12-2014, 02:02 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'd say a 12-15mm hole.

Thank you much. I was thinking about 15mm so I guess I am in the ballpark. Will try the 15mm first and go from there.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
I have the Virginia Sheng 'New' synthetic 20mm knot and have it at 52-53mm and it works great.  The head of the brush splays well without a lot of needed pressure and it whips up a great face lather with a number of soaps (softer croaps and VDH puck soap.  

This is an older thread, but I ran across it and wanted to add to it - if it helps someone who stumbles upon it researching where to set their knot using a synthetic.  I like the knot quite a bit and have gotten on a bit of a roll purchasing old handles to restore.  I think I will try the 24 and maybe even the 26mm that she has on the Aliexpress site - as the eBay site does not have those knot sizes.

I also have a TGN 3-band synthetic in 20mm and think it is very good at 52-53.  A hair easier to splay on the face than the VS 'New' synthetic and a decent synthetic knot worthy of a old handle.  A 22mm may have been a better choice, but there really is nothing bad to say about it either.  

The silicone adhesive recommendation is a good one - it allows you to remove the knot and reseat it at a different height, because what works for me - may not work for you and it is good to have the flexibility to adjust.

0 14