07-26-2014, 05:45 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Last week I was in Larry's Barber and Beauty supply in Columbus Ga.He has a two or three five shelf units of shaving supplies.I picked up a puck of Marvy soap,some new aftershave and at the check out I picked up a pack of these blades for a dollar.I asked the owner which of the two Dorco blades he had in stock was better.He replied the reds cost him a little more than the blues so they should be better.Okay, I'll go with that.

The next day I loaded up a Star DE with a Dorco.I washed my face several times and left it wet and applied some Stephans Stay Smooth shave cream and massaged it.I then dipped the razor into the sink of warm water and started.Not good,the blade seemed to tug on every second or third whisker.I finished my WTG and then went ATG.I will say that a Dorco that came with a shavette is the only blade I have tossed in mid-shave.So this Dorco is an improvement.

The following day I gave the Dorco another shot.....this time the shave was much smoother.Only tugged on every seventh or eighth whisker.

I have now used the blade about five days.It got better the third and fourth days,fairly smooth.The fifth day it seemed to be turning dull.Same prep and items were used for all shaves.

So as far as I reckon these blades are okay.Not as good as Derby's or even Astra's .Good enough to use in a pinch or if you don't have a coarse/tough beard they would probably be good.

My 2 cents.

0 275
 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I don't have a tough beard and Dorcos are the cheapest blades available in my area. I've gotten an OK shave with them a couple of times but in a pack of ten, I got several duds. I gave away a few tucks to some friends with caveats attached and they reported the same problems with consistency of quality.

2 286
 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM
User Info
Dorco has an upgrade, it's the ST301. Give it a try, they are really good IMO.

0 1,007