07-27-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
So I'm an avid fan and user of superlather mixes betewen soaps an crams, croaps and even sometimes mix two soaps to get that perfect combo of cushion, glide and smoothness in my shave.

I would like to hear your current favorite product or mix of products that just seems to work better for you, when it comes to the whole shaving experience.

Razors, blades and brushes play a big part in this too of course, but in the shis sub forum the software that works for you is what I would like to hear you tell us about.

I found that I currently have two superlather combinations, that just clicks for me and my skin. If used individually, I get a very fine shave, even sometimes a splendid shave- but when I mix them together, they just give that perfect shave, that we all thrive for.

No.1
Tabac soap stick added first the beard area, then a wallnut size of Musgo Real shaving cream (all the scents are equally great) added directly into the middle of the brush. Add a couple of drops of water to the top of the brush, then put the brush to the beard area and rub it in Tongue
Magic happens - I get the currently best lather and cushion I have yet to experience

No.2
Floris No. 89 shaving cream added with moist fingers directly to the beard area. Then swirl a moist brush on top of one of my 3 Martin De Candre soaps glass jars (all 3 versions are equally great, just what scent you prefer that day - and yes, the scentless version in fact has a discrete scent of mild french lavender) for 1 minute until it's completely loaded and start enjoying the lather.

No.3
Penhaligon Endymion or Blenheims Bouquet shaving cream added with moist fingers directly to the beard area. Then swirl a moist brush on top of one of my Xpec shaving croa for 30 seconds until it's completely loaded and start enjoying the lather.

Let's hear your current favorites, Gents Cool

24 5,965
 07-27-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
While I don't do superlathers ever, I have to say Claus, yours sound spectacular!

And while I haven't used Musgo and I can't use MdC (unfortunate skin reaction, severely red/dark blotchy for days), all the other choices are truly superb!
XPEC is my all time favorite of any product, period.
Floris No. 89 cream is definitely one of the top 4-5 creams (brand/formula)
Tabac is definitely a wonderfully performing soap (and I have found I like the scent better now that I've left the cap off the stick for a month or two, I might just keep it off!)
And of course, Penhaligon's creams need no introduction in any thread... but I will say I like the Floris quite a bit better (scent and performance).

Wondering if you've tried your New formula AdP cream from the tub?? It is the only product that, for me, takes XPEC all the way to the finish line. I almost want to say they tie! Those are the only two product that I am still shocked at their performance EVERY time I use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 2,804
 07-28-2014, 06:59 PM
User Info
Interesting combinations, I will try the No. 1 one of these days.

10 608
 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
(07-27-2014, 07:51 PM)squatzilla801 Wrote: http://shavenook.com/thread-any-super-la...-out-there

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-superfoa...travellers

Biggrin

Thanks for pointing out that what I do here is basically repeating myself over and over again.

You made me realise that I know 99,999% of what I need to know about what in wet shaving benefits me the best.

So all new posts from my side will sort of be like playing a broken record over and over endlessly.

Thanks for opening up my eyes, Sir

24 5,965
 08-01-2014, 12:09 AM
User Info
I had a great time using the Mike's Lime and the Razorock Sensitive Green Tea.

79 1,338
 08-04-2014, 10:20 AM
User Info
I enjoy making superlather out of new Penhaligon's English Fern or Blenheim Boquet and AOS unscented cream. I love those scents but the new soap formulations just don't lather well for me. But when I add some cream it makes a great lather. So I guess by mixing them I am preserving the scent of the Penhaligon's which I enjoy.

74 2,272
 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
MWF (or Haslinger Shafmilch) bowl lathered with Speick cream. Outstanding shave and post shave feel.

13 648
 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM
User Info
I often use some Arko stick on my wet beard before using a cream or soap without tallow. I must say that your No.1 sounds fabulous:

No.1
Tabac soap stick added first the beard area, then a walnut size of Musgo Real shaving cream (all the scents are equally great) added directly into the middle of the wet brush. Add a couple of drops of water to the top of the brush, then put the brush to the beard area and rub it in vigorously.
Magic happens - I am currently getting the best glide and cushion from my lather that I've ever gotten
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that I will try an Arlington soap stick, followed by some Eucris cream. Doesn't that sound great?
Euro

5 395
 01-21-2016, 09:06 PM
User Info
I just finished using B&M Latha with Mystic Waters. What a combo. The B&M is super easy to lather and the Mystic Waters provides great slickness and post shave feel. A winner for sure!

17 315
 01-22-2016, 03:54 AM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 09:06 PM)JLB2287 Wrote: I just finished using B&M Latha with Mystic Waters. What a combo. The B&M is super easy to lather and the Mystic Waters provides great slickness and post shave feel. A winner for sure!

That's a soap combined with a soap, but you know what !?!

If that combination gives you a better lather and a better shave, then continue what you are doing, because it works !

I still to this day think I can improve on all of my 250+ soaps and creams in my possession by mixing them. It just takes a lot of experimenting to find THE LATHER NIRVANA combination.

A soap still dries my skin out more than a cream does.
A cream still lacks the glide and slickness of a soap.
A cream still has more cushion than a soap does.
A soap is still so much more fun to use than a cream, because it's so much more pleasing to load it from the puck and it's so much more convenient to be able to go back to the puck for a reload of the brush.

I find that in combining the two in a SuperLather I get the shiny lather from MerkurMan and the thick yoghurt pasty lather from SharpSpine.

24 5,965
 01-22-2016, 03:57 AM
User Info
New combination that is awesome:

Cold River Soap Works Citrus mixed with Mühle Organic Shaving Cream.
Lifts the CRSW Select to the next level. Just fantastic lather. Explosions of it. Slick, rich, thick, hydrated, moist, shiny and full of cushion

24 5,965
 01-22-2016, 05:54 AM
User Info
I enjoy the combo of RazoRock S Maria with KMF Peppermint. I very nice, cooling wake up that is super slick and provides great cushion. A very refreshing shave!

147 3,536
 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
User Info
Great ideas! I haven't really experimented with superlathers, but look forward to experimenting.

Having sold my XPEC scented (not for me) I just picked up some unscented along with some favorite creams I sold due to lack of performance.

I now need to get some lab goggles and get cooking!

192 1,588
 01-22-2016, 10:12 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I see we have some consistent players...

Floris #89 cream to beard + Floris # 89 soap (potassium first ingredient)

Penhaligons BB cream to beard + vintage tallow Penhaligons BB soap or AOS tallow lemon soap

168 1,377
 01-22-2016, 10:12 PM
User Info
I made my first superlather today. I used a MdC clone from a respected artisan with German Palmolive cream. I got phenomenal lather, it was slick and protective, beyond any lather I had made before. I own 41 soaps and only 2 creams! I wonder why there aren't products which are hybrids that can achieve this level of performance Smile

1 23
 01-23-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
I went with Pens Endymion and SdM Tempete today. Lots of fun and lather explosions!

192 1,588