05-10-2018, 03:57 PM
User Info
A soap and a cream...I had not thought of that, and will def give it a whirl!

Thanks!

5 285
 05-11-2018, 07:36 AM
User Info
(05-10-2018, 03:57 PM)Ols67 Wrote: A soap and a cream...I had not thought of that, and will def give it a whirl!

Thanks!

My father bowl lather. I face lather.

He puts a dab of cream in the bowl.
Then loads the brush in the soap.

Add drops of water to the bowl.

Then proceeds to build the lather in the bowl. The lather explodes into a thick rich great stable lather for him.

25 6,249
 05-13-2018, 08:52 AM
User Info
I am going to try Boellis Panama 1924 Soap with TOBS Almond Shave Cream tomorrow morning! I will use that silver tip Thater brush, and it will be my second shave with the Oneblade Genesis. Then I will finish it off with Chella Cool Aftershave!

I am really looking forward to my shave now!

Vr

Matt

5 285
 05-13-2018, 11:48 AM
User Info
I only did this in one situation. In the early experimentation phase, I bought a puck of Williams. It was a lot of work to get stable, usable lather, but I was determined. After achieving this a couple of times, I decided it wasn’t worth the effort. To finish the puck, I loaded brush heavily, then added a drop of KMF lavender to the brush and face lathered. Easy, consistent, stable lather.

Other than this exception, I haven’t done this. Seems like an unnecessary step. I guess that’s not really the point though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 162
 05-14-2018, 10:45 AM
User Info
Happy to report that I tried this with that Panama 1924 Soap and TOBS Almond Cream.

I poured boiling water into my lather bowl, and then took a shower. After the shower I dumped the water out, and pressed a little bit of the 1924 into the grooves at the bottom of the bowl. Then I put just a little of the TOBS cream onto my brush, and away I went!

We can call the result some serious synergy! There was so much nice thick, creamy, glistening lather that it got a bit ridiculous. Afterwards I found that there was even a little bit of the soap still left in the grooves at the bottom of the bowl. WoW!

5 285
 07-10-2018, 09:52 PM
User Info
Well I haven’t really felt the need to superlather in years now.

But Matt inspired me (ols67)

So I’m trying to use 2 of my Mondial shaving soaps up, as the bowls they come in fits my two pucks of Pre de Provence shaving soap perfectly.

The performance of the Mondial soaps is very good, but not great. The scents are stunning though.

I also need to use my creams, as I have too many of them too.

So I superlathered the Mondial Lime & Lavender with Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream.

This lifted both products into stunners.

Slickness: 9.5/10 - almost Mike’s Natural/CRSW/Jabonman/Tabula Rasa worthy

Cushion: 10/10 - one word: PERFECTION

Protection: 9.5/10 - really great, not perfect but almost

Lather consistency & stability: 9/10 - stayed on my face and only a minor slight slight tendency to just about drying a tiny little bit towards the end of my shave, but never saw one ‘lather snow flake’

Scent: 10/10 - divine combination.

Overall rating: 9.5/10 - what a fantastic super lather.

I’m telling you, if you have a somewhat less than great soap or cream, that you keep for economical reasons or for its scent, mixing it with a greater counterpart will lift both products into a fantastic super lather. I can almost guarantee it.

25 6,249
 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM
User Info
Claus that's a good suggestion to combine a few soaps /creams to create a super lather. No doubt the scent profile also will become completely different. I may start using some of my neglected stuff by applying this technique...

3 1,098
 07-11-2018, 01:06 AM
User Info
My favorite super lather is reformulated Penhaligon’s English Fern (a truly terrible soap that has a heavenly scent) and XPEC Unscented.

75 2,391
 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM
User Info
I don't superlather much, but I've had some wonderful shaves with Martin de Candre Vetyver mixed with Cyril Salter French Vetiver cream.

29 844
 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM
User Info
Claus! Glad to be the shaving muse! I did the Penhaligon’s sartorial soap and sartorial cream again today...a beautiful thing!!! Have a great evening!

Vr

Matt

5 285
 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
User Info
CRSW Glide Olfactory Hue and Al's Goodfellas cream
CRSW Select Citrus and Al's Goodfellas cream

53 1,204
 07-11-2018, 05:15 PM
User Info
I use tobs cream on the face and either Bulgari Man in Black, italian barbe Blue hard soap, or SV dolomati.  Great results.

0 334
 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've never tried a superlather, but you have me thinking about it. Thanks, Claus.

38 5,567
 07-12-2018, 11:34 AM
User Info
In trying to remember the latest and greatest, I forgot about a great combo: WSP soap on top of tobs cream.  Used ToBS cream with WSP Mahogany today: unbelievable slickness, thickness, and protection.  Now nearly 8 hours later, almost still BBS.

0 334
 07-19-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
I am out of town this week, and took my Hemingway Accoutrements shaving products with me including the cream, which are fantastic. I also ordered a Wickham 1912 club cola and had it sent to me. The 1912 club cola’s fragrance is amazing, and it makes some wicked lather. However, I found it to be severely lacking in the slickness department up front, and to have practically zero residual slickness. My initial reaction was to throw the container of Club cola in the trash, but the scent is so fantastic I fished it out, and decided to try a super lather with the Hemingway shave cream. WoW! I am glad that I rescued it...the two combined to form a superlative Super lather. The club cola dominated the more subtle Hemingway scent, while the Hemingway shaving cream took care of the slickness problem of the club cola soap.

Note: The vendor, on amazon prime, shipped me a really old container of the wickham 1912 club cola...like earlier version of the tub with a lemon on the lid. So perhaps the slickness problem has been addressed in a more recent version/recipe? I am just curious if I should purchase a newer tub?

Vr

Matt

5 285
 07-19-2018, 08:08 PM
User Info
(07-19-2018, 11:53 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I am out of town this week, and took my Hemingway Accoutrements shaving products with me including the cream, which are fantastic. I also ordered a Wickham 1912 club cola and had it sent to me. The 1912 club cola’s fragrance is amazing, and it makes some wicked lather. However, I found it to be severely lacking in the slickness department up front, and to have practically zero residual slickness. My initial reaction was to throw the container of Club cola in the trash, but the scent is so fantastic I fished it out, and decided to try a super lather with the Hemingway shave cream. WoW! I am glad that I rescued it...the two combined to form a superlative Super lather. The club cola dominated the more subtle Hemingway scent, while the Hemingway shaving cream took care of the slickness problem of the club cola soap.

Note: The vendor, on amazon prime, shipped me a really old container of the wickham 1912 club cola...like earlier version of the tub with a lemon on the lid. So perhaps the slickness problem has been addressed in a more recent version/recipe? I am just curious if I should purchase a newer tub?

Vr

Matt

The older Wickham can in cheap red plastic pots. The newer ones come in a bit more sturdy white harder plastic pots and the formulation is improved.

25 6,249
 07-20-2018, 03:38 AM
User Info
Thanks Claus! I will have to buy a new tub directly from the maker so that I know I am getting the most recent formula.

Have a pleasant evening!

Vr

Matt

5 285