05-19-2012, 04:58 AM
User Info
I heard about his death yesterday, and I thought I'd mention it here. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - one of the best lyric baritones that I've had the good fortune to listen to died, at the age of (almost) 87.

[Image: dietrich-fischer-dieskau.jpg]

I'm a baritone myself, and I have pretty nice (if untrained) voice. Whenever I hear great baritones sing, it's an inspiration to me to spend a little more time developing my tone and my technique. Hans Hotter and Ficsher-Dieskau were two artists that I really revered.

Hotter was better in Wagner - and I love Wagner's music, but Fischer-Dieskau was amazing with Lieder (art songs). I've heard all his recordings of Schubert's Lieder cycles, and to me they're pretty much the closest thing I can experience to nirvana.

He hasn't performed in quite a long time, but knowing that he's dead leaves a bit of a void in my life.

I'll attempt to fill that up by listening to some of his recordings in the next few days.

-------

Anyone else here into vocal Classical Music? Have you heard Fischer-Dieskau singing? Maybe some of you saw him live. I didn't, much to my regret.

However, it's great that artists like him have left us a wonderful range of recordings, so that their artistry will live on after they've passed away.

37 1,731
 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
User Info
Wow! i was just listening to him on YouTube and he had a fantastic voice! Enjoy his recordings, Yohann.
The closest i can come to classical vocalists is Pavarotti and Amalia Rodrigues. i am not sure if Pavarotti is considered classical vocalist, but i know that Amalia is not. She was a Portugues Fado singer who had one of the most amazing voices that i have ever heard. i am sure Leon and Emanuel can attest to that.

75 20,883
 05-20-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
Celestino -

Pavarotti is certainly considered a classical vocalist. He was pretty amazing. Of course, he did do some 'poppy' stuff, but that's fine by me. His voice was sublime.

In the classical world, the sopranos and tenors get all the adulation, but the baritones have a special place in my heart.

I'll have to look up Amalia Rodrigues. Smile

37 1,731
 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-19-2012, 08:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow! i was just listening to him on YouTube and he had a fantastic voice! Enjoy his recordings, Yohann.
The closest i can come to classical vocalists is Pavarotti and Amalia Rodrigues. i am not sure if Pavarotti is considered classical vocalist, but i know that Amalia is not. She was a Portugues Fado singer who had one of the most amazing voices that i have ever heard. i am sure Leon and Emanuel can attest to that.

I love Amalia Rodrigues's voice. I have two of her CDs and enjoy them both but especially her American Songs CD. I believe it may be her only album in English and her interpretations of such songs as Summertime, Blue Moon, and I Can't Help Loving That Man are just amazing. My only disappointment in the CD is that it is simply too short; there are only eight songs on it and it leaves me clamoring for more.

[Image: AmaliaRodriguesCDs.jpg]

2 11,211
 05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
Freddy,
You astound me, my friend. i would never have thought an true American would have ever heard of Amalia!
You need to pick up her "Segredo" album. i would have to say it is her best work, but, unfortunately, for you it is all in Portuguese. However, you will not be disappointed!

75 20,883
 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
PM sent, Celestino. Wink

I just listened to Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on You Tube. I'm ashamed to admit that I had never heard of him and listened to a bit from Verdi's Macbeth. What a commanding voice! Drat, time to look for more CD's. Tongue (I am not a fan of downloading music.)

2 11,211