07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
User Info
I turned a fountain pen this weekend on the lathe, and put it together today.

I don't think I have ever written with a FP before.

[Image: ljOB0F6.jpg]

[Image: rsyeAoO.jpg]

[Image: W524Odk.jpg]

31 1,800
 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, that is beautiful. Thumbsup

Writing with a fountain pen is different than using a ballpoint. Experiment and have fun with it. If you have never used a fountain pen before then you might want to start with the ink cartridge rather than the converter and bottled ink.

2 11,211
 07-28-2014, 04:26 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Very nice work, Mike.

0 1,137
 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM
User Info
Thanks, gentlemen

31 1,800
 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I'm very impressed, Mike.

What kind of nib is that?

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-29-2014, 03:24 AM
User Info
Thanks, Murray.

It says Dayacom, Germany. It is the one that came with the kit.
I don't know much about them, it seems to write OK.
After looking them up, they may or may not be made in Germany but it can easily be replaced with a better NIB.

Pen is made with Cocobolo wood, and I typically like to leave my wood pens natural, with low shine and using the natural oils from our hands. I sanded this one to 2000 grit, and put on a few coats of Danish oil.

I have another one to make with black platinum trim, but I think I will go with a different finish, more polished.

31 1,800
 07-31-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
(07-29-2014, 03:24 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Thanks, Murray.

It says Dayacom, Germany. It is the one that came with the kit.
I don't know much about them, it seems to write OK.
After looking them up, they may or may not be made in Germany but it can easily be replaced with a better NIB.

Pen is made with Cocobolo wood, and I typically like to leave my wood pens natural, with low shine and using the natural oils from our hands. I sanded this one to 2000 grit, and put on a few coats of Danish oil.

I have another one to make with black platinum trim, but I think I will go with a different finish, more polished.

Looks great. Love cocobolo. All of the light switches and outlet covers in our kitchen and bath are cocobolo.

Do you sell pens? Or just itching to try a fountain pen.

Phil

7 363
 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM
User Info
(07-31-2014, 05:57 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Looks great. Love cocobolo. All of the light switches and outlet covers in our kitchen and bath are cocobolo.

Do you sell pens? Or just itching to try a fountain pen.

Phil

Thanks, Phil

I am staring to build an inventory of bottle stoppers and pens, (basic slimlines), but am now going to branch out into others (Fountain, Cigar, maybe others). I hope to start selling pens, stoppers, razor and brush handles soon.

One of my biggest issues is the finish. I prefer a natural wood finish with Danish Oil, but I think buyers may want more shine so I need to quit making what I like!
I am working on a finish now that may work.

I have only been doing this for a few months, so a work in progress.

31 1,800
 08-29-2014, 06:28 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Mike, great pen! I saw you on the IAP, great to know we have similar interests. Your FP looks great. I have been making ballpoint (is that the correct term?) pens so far because I got a few kits, but FP is on my list to do soon. I have a few factory made FPs and I really like them. I am of the generation that learned to write with an FP, so for me it's a childhood memory thing.

I wonder if I can post my non-FP pens here? I have three so far and I am learning a great deal with them. Hoping to start my shaving brushes on the lathe so I can beef up my store inventory.

Keep up the good work!

26 1,739
 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-29-2014, 06:28 AM)vferdman Wrote: Mike, great pen! I saw you on the IAP, great to know we have similar interests. Your FP looks great. I have been making ballpoint (is that the correct term?) pens so far because I got a few kits, but FP is on my list to do soon. I have a few factory made FPs and I really like them. I am of the generation that learned to write with an FP, so for me it's a childhood memory thing.

I wonder if I can post my non-FP pens here? I have three so far and I am learning a great deal with them. Hoping to start my shaving brushes on the lathe so I can beef up my store inventory.

Keep up the good work!

Vladimir, I started The Ink Well for fountain pen enthusiasts. However, just as we have a place to post cartridge razors in a sea of DEs, SEs, and straights, I see nothing wrong with posting photos of your ballpoint pens. Just start a thread here in The Ink Well stating something along the lines of "Ballpoint Pens I Have Made" or the like. You get the idea. Although I love my fountain pens, and hope you will make those, too, I look forward to your work with ballpoints. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-25-2014, 07:48 AM
User Info
Wonderful Work!
I like the finished just the way it is. I too prefer a natural finish on wood. High gloss just doesnt look right to me.

1 346
 09-25-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
(09-25-2014, 07:48 AM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: Wonderful Work!
I like the finished just the way it is. I too prefer a natural finish on wood. High gloss just doesnt look right to me.

Thanks for that! To me it doesn't feel right either.

I think I need to start finishing half of them natural with just a Danish oil, and half of them with a gloss until I figure out what the people want.

31 1,800
 09-25-2014, 08:49 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-25-2014, 08:23 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Thanks for that! To me it doesn't feel right either.

I think I need to start finishing half of them natural with just a Danish oil, and half of them with a gloss until I figure out what the people want.

Mike, you can try CA/BLO finish. It provides that CA glass-like shell without all the shine. Makes the wood look like it's been oil-finished more than anything. Personally, I like the shiny CA finish, but on pens I agree, it could be a bit more subdued. You can still use CA for excellent protection, but just not buff it to a high gloss. You are in control as a finisher. CA can be satin finished. I made a few pens with resin blanks and disn't go to high gloss on them, but medium gloss. They look great. Same can be done with CA.

26 1,739