• u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have the following DE razors in my rotation:

Merkur 39C Sledgehammer Slant
Baxter of California (Muhle R89) with Ikon Bulldog Handle
Ikon OSS
Parker 24C

All work well for me although I usually use straights. I am considering adding another Ikon to the mix or perhaps trying a Cobra.

I have a lifetime supply of assorted DE blades and a range of Feather SE blades.

What would you choose and why?

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 631
 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I would choose the Cobra. I also usually use straights but have tried many DE's en SE's.

Ikon razors where good (open, closed, slant) but for me couldn't give me the shaves that for instance a Joris of Tradere could give me. The Cobra I really liked, fantastic shaves but being a straight shaver I prefered to use the same blades in the Feather DX models. All very personal of course.

28 1,449
 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM
User Info
I have had two Cobras and both shaved great however, fit and finish not up to par. Also now its nearly impossible to get a Cobra either King Cobra or original. It seems last time Classic Shaving had the King but sold out fast. I am not understanding their business model. Another matter is getting blades which can be a pain in the rear and prices vary widely. So I like the iKons in particular the standard bar and slant. Another note they are now built and shipped in the USA.

121 13,208
 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
I vote Cobra by a large margin, you've already got a few DE's so why not try something a fair amount different. DE rarely left me BBS and Cobra usually does, plus the stubble doesn't grow back for a solid amount of additional hours. I haven't touched my DE's since I got the Cobra but I don't plan on selling them either as it's always nice to have variety. However, I also think hair type plays a great part in what works for you.

12 848
 07-29-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
I tried the Cobra on the pass around, it's a nice razor, gives a very close shave. Build quality does not appear to equal iKon. I can get very close and even more comfortable shaves from an iKon DLC slant or an ATT with the R1 plate. The Cobra is seldom available to buy so it almost becomes a moot point.

46 489
 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would go for a Cobra reviewing your current razors. If your used to straights the 2" blade will be easy to navigate. It certainly is not machined as mentioned above but it's a unique shave tool with a quality shave. If you go for a Cobra be certain to try the Feather Pro and Kai Mild Blades as one may suit you better depending on your beard/skin. I have seen them turn up regularly used in the 170.00 range so be patient and good luck.

61 4,624
 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
I am very happy rotating between my 37c and Cobra Classic. No plans on buying the DLC slant. From what I've read the 37c shaves very similarly to the ikon. I'd like to hear the opinions of those who own both slants.

4 355
 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The shave quality goes slightly to the Ikon....what I love is the sound the ikon makes...the STANDARD razor (the brand not the ikon)makes the same sound and is probably the same shave quality...for me..at any rate.

6 2,045
 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM
User Info
I owned/tried the Cobra. I much prefer the iKon Slant and SB. The iKon Slant gives unprecedented audible feedback. The iKon SB is my favorite in their line. I also like the ATT M1 and H1.

42 208
 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(07-29-2014, 09:33 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: I am very happy rotating between my 37c and Cobra Classic. No plans on buying the DLC slant. From what I've read the 37c shaves very similarly to the ikon. I'd like to hear the opinions of those who own both slants.

There have been some excellent responses here and it may come down to buying an Ikon as they are more easily had. Maybe someone will jump in who has experience with both the 37C and the Ikon slant. If not I might go that route and get a Cobra later when and if possible.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

0 631
 07-31-2014, 03:40 AM
User Info
Don't rule out a merkur slant then, I personally preferred them and they're much more affordable.

12 848
 07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
 08-02-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
Cobra for sure. It changes the ball game.

23 475
 08-02-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
Consider this a personal invitation to join the Cobra Classic Tour and try before you buy. Also see my recent post in the SE forum regarding the Mongoose. I have not tried it, but it is a stainless steel alternative to the Cobra that should be coming to market soon.

61 492
 08-04-2014, 06:34 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(08-02-2014, 10:00 PM)poonjaji Wrote: Consider this a personal invitation to join the Cobra Classic Tour and try before you buy. Also see my recent post in the SE forum regarding the Mongoose. I have not tried it, but it is a stainless steel alternative to the Cobra that should be coming to market soon.

Sadly being north of a certain parallel complicates partaking in the Tour. I will be visiting your Mongoose post. Thanks very much.

I managed to pickup an Ikon DLC slant and am three shaves into it. First two were DFS and the third, solidly BBS. It came with a Bulldog handle and I also acquired the 100 mm SE handle. Fitted it with Feather blades.

The Ikon slant seems to be more aggressive than the 39C, gives less feed back, and is trickier to get the blade angle right. I could see drawing blood way more easily than with my other DE razors. Good results but not (yet) a pleasant razor to use. That may change with practice.

At this point I am pleased with the overall build quality but for the blade fit. Way to much fiddling to get the alignment right.

Keeping an eye out for an SE. Thanks again for all the excellent comments.

0 631