07-30-2014, 11:02 AM
User Info
I've been using a straight razor for only just over two weeks now. Based on some advice I have gotten, I started my first shave by shaving only the right sideburn and nothing else. The rest of that shave was completed in my normal fashion. I have repeated this every day, moving to a different area of my face. So far, I have not had so much as a small weeper. Today was my first attempt at a complete full face straight razor shave and I finished with one small nick on the side of my neck. For me, that is really good considering my first safety razor shave resulted in my face looking like I shaved with a weed eater.

To this point, the most difficult aspect for me to get used to is using my off-hand. There are times that, with out realizing it, I will modify my right hand grip instead of using my my left hand. Mostly, I catch my self before taking a stroke but this morning I took the stroke anyway.

I have considered getting a dull blade to practice with on my left hand. I also have this feeling that even after you become competent, if you allow yourself to become complacent, accidents will still happen.

Any other tips on getting used to the off-hand grip?

0 22
 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
User Info
Practice Practice Practice. I recommend against a "dull blade" to use, although you may wish to use a butter knife or something (non edged side) if you are just looking to work on the grip.

It will quickly become second nature to use the left hand although there are times when you will find yourself naturally reaching across your face using your dominant hand. One way to avoid that is to stop using a DE as soon as possible in your journey. A DE lends itself to only using one hand, so your rote memory will default to using your dominant hand when using a DE and hence it will continue to want to use that hand for the opposite side of your face until you break that habit.

Congrats on already getting a full face shave!!!! Cheers

129 6,685
 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, Doug's advice sums it up pretty well.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM
User Info
Yeah, that is so true about DE. It's so easy to use just one hand. The butter knife idea might be a good idea that I think I'll try.

One confession I have to make is that before I really knew anything about straights, I picked up a very inexpensive razor that turns out to be more of a novelty item kind of like those replica swords. I actually took it up last night in my left hand and went through the motions in a mirror as if I were actually shaving. I am not entirely sure why you recommend against that but I know there must be a reason so I'll stay away from doing that. I think that if I am super slow and careful, it will eventually become second nature as you said. It just seems like it's taking longer than it should.

0 22
 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
It will take quite a while till you are comfortable using your non master hand but it will come with time. Perfectly normal.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
(07-31-2014, 06:09 AM)ButchersHook Wrote: I am not entirely sure why you recommend against that but I know there must be a reason so I'll stay away from doing that.

Because no matter how careful you are, you will at some point have that blade make contact with the skin, and your angle will probably be not quite right and a dull blade will scrape skin off your cheek.

I think this was made just for you! https://www.etsy.com/listing/183916916/v...ref=market

129 6,685
 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM
User Info
My left hand is still a work in progress. I've cut myself with both however. Actually my worst slice was a slip up on my right cheek that most likely could have required stitches. Now it's like a cool battle car just below my cheekbone.

Moral of the story is...just shave more and think less. It's not a matter of if you're gonna shed blood, it's when.

3 153
 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM
User Info
(07-31-2014, 04:40 PM)BudWhite Wrote: Actually my worst slice was a slip up on my right cheek that most likely could have required stitches. Now it's like a cool battle car just below my cheekbone.

Eeeeek

Patience. Short strokes. Patience. Slick lather. Patience. Get one area down pat before adding another area to the routine.

129 6,685