07-30-2014, 03:39 PM
User Info
Vintage or modern saftey razors pros and cons?!!!

Luv my fat boys, however some of them new DE looks awesome, but it's not about the looks. .. never handled one of em new razors...

1 73
 07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
  • Bsohne
  • NY TRISTATE AREA
User Info
Hi

For the longest time I was a VINTAGE guy ... started with a Tech then off to a fatboy , then way back to an old style , Big fellow .... settled on a Bulldog.....

THEN

2011 R41...... as a daily driver and a ATT H2 on weekends !!! with an a once in a while Bulldog or BRW long comb...

Go figure

Bill Sohne

3 67
 07-30-2014, 04:32 PM
User Info
(07-30-2014, 03:44 PM)Bsohne Wrote: Hi

For the longest time I was a VINTAGE guy ... started with a Tech then off to a fatboy , then way back to an old style , Big fellow .... settled on a Bulldog.....

THEN

2011 R41...... as a daily driver and a ATT H2 on weekends !!! with an a once in a while Bulldog or BRW long comb...

Go figure

Bill Sohne
I'm glad u brough the R41, what is so special about this fella?

1 73
 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I use both. However, some of my basic oldsters easily beat out some of the new kids on the block and sometimes it's the other way around. When it comes to use as opposed to looks the value is in the shave and I don't hold to the notion that one is inherently better than the other. Whatever works for me is what's best.

2 11,211
 07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  • Bsohne
  • NY TRISTATE AREA
User Info
Agree

(07-30-2014, 04:37 PM)freddy Wrote: I use both. However, some of my basic oldsters easily beat out some of the new kids on the block and sometimes it's the other way around. When it comes to use as opposed to looks the value is in the shave and I don't hold to the notion that one is inherently better than the other. Whatever works for me is what's best.

3 67
 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Blade source and razor type are intertwined. A blade of the correct thickness and hardness in a razor it works well with, and the head angle suits your style, makes that particular combination the only criteria.

Large blade exposure needs a stiffer blade, so it doesn't flex; that also seems to give a closer and maybe harsher shave. That has been my finding on my face. Little blade exposure gives a bit more latitude in blade choices.
New razors are really simplified and stark compared to the the well tried and used oldies. Some blades still have sharper corners and some razors protect those corners less than others.

Blade angle to face is important and every razor + handle + blade is a tiny bit different and will serve one person better than another.
That does not answer your question. Find a fellow shaver in your area to try different combinations for your face.
Have fun and enjoy your shaves!
~Richard
PS, I am enjoying safety razors from 1880 onward.

8 1,194
 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM
User Info
I like close shave and I don't mind harsh shaves. .. I think fortunate to have the type of beard that I have. .. I use variety of SR, shavette and DE, however everything I own is vintage. Seeing the posts for them new DE got methinking what if there is something out there is better for me.

1 73
 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
User Info
I LOVED my R89. Last week I decided to use my pre-war Tech all week. I got absolutely wonderful shaves with the Tech. So much, that I want to go back to it this week. I'm using the R89 this week but want to go back.

21 555
 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
User Info
I'm a big fan of the fatboy, what can be my next driver?

1 73
 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
User Info
The pros and cons are all relative to the person useing them. You will hear YMMV quite often in the world of wet shaving. What works for one will be like garbage to another. I actually have both vintage and modern and love useing each for different reasons. Sometimes its the nostalgia aspect while other times its form and function. I get great shaves from each and rotate my razors on a daily/weekly basis.

(07-30-2014, 05:45 PM)Sergeant Wrote: I'm a big fan of the fatboy, what can be my next driver?

How aggresive do you like your shave? I have a Razorock TTO that is an aggresive, great shave, shave but I also have a 66 Slim adjustabe that a great performer as well. I figure that would be more like the fatboy which I have never used so cant say. I have a few others but that is part of the fun. You can try different things to see what you like and if you dont, there is always the BST! Smile

148 3,592
 07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
User Info
I have both kinds. I like my vintage razors and I use them and collect them too. I guess a con would be some of the more desirable ones have really gone up in price. I've been getting into the modern ones this year. I think you can find almost any type of razor you want with the modern selection out there. A con would be some of them are not as sturdy as I would like. You have to spend the dollars to get an heirloom type quality one.

2 71
 07-31-2014, 01:06 AM
User Info
(07-30-2014, 06:14 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: The pros and cons are all relative to the person useing them. You will hear YMMV quite often in the world of wet shaving. What works for one will be like garbage to another. I actually have both vintage and modern and love useing each for different reasons. Sometimes its the nostalgia aspect while other times its form and function. I get great shaves from each and rotate my razors on a daily/weekly basis.

(07-30-2014, 05:45 PM)Sergeant Wrote: I'm a big fan of the fatboy, what can be my next driver?

How aggresive do you like your shave? I have a Razorock TTO that is an aggresive, great shave, shave but I also have a 66 Slim adjustabe that a great performer as well. I figure that would be more like the fatboy which I have never used so cant say. I have a few others but that is part of the fun. You can try different things to see what you like and if you dont, there is always the BST!
How aggressive, ummmm will this communicate! I set my fat boy on 8 or 9 on my face, 6 or 7 on my head.

1 73
 07-31-2014, 04:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
If you like a Gillette Fat Boy on 8 or 9 then I would try a Muhle R41 with a Feather blade. I would also swap out the Muhle factory handle for an Ikon Bulldog handle too. I don't think I would use that combination on my head given you like a setting of 6 to 7 for that but you never know and I don't shave my head.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think if you like a Fatboy on 8 or 9, you should consider a Merkur Futur or a Merkur Progress. You can dial either of them up to be more aggressive than the Fatboy. And if you like the Progress, you can have it "customized" with a nice stainless knob instead of the white plastic one.

I don't think there is a good answer to your bigger question of vintage vs. modern. I'm a big fan of some vintage razors. I have tried a number of modern razors and have found some that shave every bit as well as some of my favorite vintage razors. But usually I enjoy using my vintage razors more, just because they are so cool.

Let me throw out one other modern razor option - have you tried the Cobra Classic?

43 1,705
 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
Ikon slanted dlc, any thoughts?

1 73
 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
User Info
Vintage all the way for me. I had and have disposed of Muhles, Merkurs, EJs, and Parkers in favor of the old Gillette razors and one lone Schick Krona. I prefer the TTOs and the feel of the brass and nickel Gillette razors.

22 764
 07-31-2014, 12:01 PM
User Info
I just bought ikon slant dlc w/bulldog handle... i'll be selling some of my fatboys soon...

1 73
 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Let us know your thoughts on the slant after you have used it.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have and use both although I came late to the vintage party. I love how efficient my R89 and AS-D2 are. I also wouldn't trade the versatility of my modern Progress. But as I've learned over the past weeks, the Super Speed is aptly named. I can truly shave faster with the old Gillette and get a Damn Fine Shave!

2 286
 08-01-2014, 11:37 AM
User Info
Anyone looking for a fat boy in the org box let me know. .. I have 2 of Em

1 73