08-01-2014, 12:13 AM
User Info
Morning all

Looking for some advice on Thater brushes and how they compare with Shavemac- does anyone own or have owned both at some stage?

Also interested in how the Thater knots compare across the range as there seems to be big differences between prices. I know some of this is just knot size but how does the 2 and 3 band compare and is the latter worth the big price hike?

I was thinking of a 4125/ 2 in two band which seems to be a fair priced brush?

Welcome people's views

0 85
 08-01-2014, 02:49 AM
User Info
I just purchased a 4125/2 in 2 band bulb! I like it a lot. I think it is a very well priced brush Smile. Its quality. Just as the shavemac
I also have a Shavemac 2 band. The size is quite different at 22/48mm. The Shavemac hair has a lot more backbone and is a bit more densely packed. The Shavemac has silky soft tips while the Thater has softer tips: like cotton in my opinion. So the Shavemac is much more scrubby while the thater is more luxurious while a nice feel on the face. The Thater also has much better flow.
Right now I like my Shavemac better. Its just such unique hair compared to my other brushes, and its cool thave it custom made. But my Thater is new so it might grow on me more. Either way they are both good quality companies in my opinion.
2 band hair generally has a lot of backbone compared to most 3 bands. I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste, and if you like it you're willing to pay the extra price.

1 40
 08-01-2014, 04:44 AM
User Info
Own both a Thater and DO1.

Thater 4125/2 two band - tremendous value. Uber soft tips with good back bone. Bulb is perfectly shaped for lathering. This is by far my favorite brush whether using a bowl, face lathering or a scuttle. I think of it as the swiss army knife of brushes.

Shavemac DO1 three band - Uber backbone. Lots of "scritch" as previously described. Fun to choose your own handle and size and hair. I have found I like it best for face lathering. If you like back bone this is the brush for you.

6 358
 08-01-2014, 04:58 AM
User Info
My preferences would be; for 2 band, Thäter, for 3 band, Shavemac D01.

Overall though I prefer Shavemac. Whist Thäter brushes are extremely high quality, the D01 offering just hits the spot. Also the customisation options on shavemac is a great bonus too.

7 1,182
 08-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I own 1Thater and 3 shavemacs: Thater 4292-4H 3-band Silvertip, Shavemac Beehive finest badger, Shavemac 412 flat-top Silvertip and Shavemac 410 Silvertip. They are all excellent brushes, but if I had to pick just one in terms of its price, quality and performance it would be the Shavemac Beehive finest. I face lather exclusively using creams 95% of the time. I like a medium-size knot with soft tips, some backbone, good flow-through and not too dense and I find the Beehive with the finest knot meets all these criteria.

5 882
 08-01-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
All great advice chaps. Many thanks

0 85
 08-03-2014, 03:18 AM
User Info
I have owned 8 Thäter's and 16 Shavemacs.
Now down to 4 Thäters and 8 Shavemacs.

Thäters are softer when comparing the same brush type hair.
Shavemacs have more backbone when comparing the same brush type hair

24 5,839
 08-03-2014, 05:08 AM
User Info
I have three Thaters and six Shavemacs.

Shavemac D01 hair is a completely different beast than any hair on the market, especially when compared to Thater. If comparing Shavemac D01 2-band to Thater 2-band, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The only thing in common is both are 2-band knots.

Thater 2- and 3-band is comparable to Shavemac Silvertip knots. In that, the backbone is similar and they have a luscious face feel. Thater 2-band has a tad bit more backbone than Shavemac Silvertip. Thater 2- and 3-band hair is softer than Shavemac Silvertip hair.

Another consideration is the difference between fan and bulb knots. All of my Shavemacs have bulb knots, except for one 2-band D01 knot and it's an extreme flat top. With that said, I'm unable to comment on Shavemac fan knots. I have two Thater bulbs and one fan (3-band bulb, 2-band bulb, and 2-band fan). If you go with a Thater, GO BULB. lol I've found the loft to be too high on their fan knots. Very disappointing, in my opinion.

While I thoroughly enjoy my Thaters (not so much the 2-band fan). . .there is a reason I have more Shavemacs than Thaters. lol

8 148
 08-03-2014, 05:24 AM
User Info
I've gone Thater as first choice but doubt I will resist going Shavemac as well at some stage Sad

Need to sell a few brushes on and it will be next up!

0 85
 08-03-2014, 05:36 AM
User Info
(08-03-2014, 05:08 AM)Gigster Wrote: I have three Thaters and six Shavemacs.

Shavemac D01 hair is a completely different beast than any hair on the market, especially when compared to Thater. If comparing Shavemac D01 2-band to Thater 2-band, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The only thing in common is both are 2-band knots.

Thater 2- and 3-band is comparable to Shavemac Silvertip knots. In that, the backbone is similar and they have a luscious face feel. Thater 2-band has a tad bit more backbone than Shavemac Silvertip. Thater 2- and 3-band hair is softer than Shavemac Silvertip hair.

Another consideration is the difference between fan and bulb knots. All of my Shavemacs have bulb knots, except for one 2-band D01 knot and it's an extreme flat top. With that said, I'm unable to comment on Shavemac fan knots. I have two Thater bulbs and one fan (3-band bulb, 2-band bulb, and 2-band fan). If you go with a Thater, GO BULB. lol I've found the loft to be too high on their fan knots. Very disappointing, in my opinion.

While I thoroughly enjoy my Thaters (not so much the 2-band fan). . .there is a reason I have more Shavemacs than Thaters. lol

I agree 110% about Thäter fan knots.
I sold both my Thäter fan 3-band 24 mm and Thäter fan 2-band 26 mm because they both lacked density, backbone and honestly felt borderline floppy.

German Georg loves his Thäters because he enjoys the luxury soft feel from them. But if you prefer a bit more backbone and solid feel and face lather most times avoid Thäter fans.

Shavemac D01 2-band is a very solid for some harsh feeling badger hair and quite unique in feel. Maybe remotely feels like earlier Simpson Manchurian hair, but as said quite unique in feel.

Shavemac D01 3-band is where Shavemac really excels IMHO.
A TRUELY unique and marvellous feeling badger hair type. Not too soft, not too harsh. Perfect

Shavemac 3-band Silvertip is close to Thäter 2-band and even closer to Thäter 3-band in feel. If densely packed it feels close to Thäter 2-band. If normal packed it feels close to Thäter 3-band BUT lacks the same luxurious velvet soft feel of the Thäter.

24 5,839
 08-03-2014, 08:35 AM
User Info
Take this with the understanding that its coming from somebody with extremely soft skin that is prone to ingrowns-

I got a Thater 4292 2-band fan some time ago and I have yet to feel a more gentle brush on the skin, but I quickly found the fan shape to be unruly and excessive in the extreme in terms of sizing. I also picked up a 4292 3-band Thater fan and found the problems even worse. Super soft, extremely gentle, but it felt like a mop drowning my whole face.

After hearing that Shavemac had similar characteristics but a touch more backbone I sold my Thaters and got some Rudy Vey customs, which I loved at first. Pretty quickly, though, the ingrowns all came back with a vengeance and I started having to space out my use of the Shavemacs (even the silver tip) to once every three days or so. Somehow despite being so soft, the prickle was giving me some irritation just extreme enough to disagree with the skin.

Now again, understand that my skin is incredibly sensitive and soft, so I don't expect many would have a mirrored experience.

Eventually I sold off a few more pieces of gear and funded Thater acquisitions, but this time I went for the bulb shapes in the 4125 series. Long story short, the Shavemacs have not been used since. The shorter loft and the bulb shape are perfect for me. Thaters are easily some of the gentlest brushes out there, I just had to find the model that met my desires for a bit more control than the "wet mop smothering your face" feel of the 4292 series in a fan shape.

16 249
 08-03-2014, 08:43 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
As a rule of thumb I suggest to avoid a Thäter fan larger than size 1 (24mm) as it will splay a lot. Bulbs can go as large as you please, but I find size 2 (26mm) to be the sweet spot.

There are no softer brushes than Thäter 3 Bands. The 2 Bands combine softness of tips with decent backbone. As far as 2 Bands go only current Simpson 2 Band rivals Thäter - but at a much higher price.

35 1,808
 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(08-01-2014, 04:58 AM)Dipesh Wrote: My preferences would be; for 2 band, Thäter, for 3 band, Shavemac D01.

Overall though I prefer Shavemac. Whist Thäter brushes are extremely high quality, the D01 offering just hits the spot. Also the customisation options on shavemac is a great bonus too.

+1 Totally agreeLightbulb

Also, I have a Thater size one two band fan and find it a nice brush to have in the rotation. It does envelop your face like many have mentioned, and I would not want any size bigger than the 24mm fan I have, for similar reasons as German mentions above. They are just very wide beautifully shaped knots that take up solid facial surface area. Again I prefer two band bulbs overall, but having a couple fan knots in two band is a different and equally luxurious experience, IMO worth a try!

4 794
 08-05-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
Thater vs. Shavemac DO1? This is an interesting question. In my opinion they couldn't be more different. Basically the only similarity is that they are both 2 band.
Thater: is super soft, not much scrub, density is mid range which gives good flow through.
Shavemac DO1:Not that soft (some may say scritchy) but in my opinion it is a very scrubby knot, very dense brush that results in less flow through.

That being said I enjoy using both even though in my experience they are very different from one another.

73 2,196