08-03-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
[Image: Barbier_fran%C3%A7ais_tranch%C3%A9es.jpg]

Trench foot, trench fever and trench mouth be dammed - the gallant fighting men needs to be clean shaven (so the respirators wont leak, one has to presume). The implied horrors of the first world war notwithstanding, it is a rather nice period photograph I stumbled over on Wikipedia while looking for something unrelated.

3 4,479
 08-03-2014, 09:25 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I believe I have seen this elsewhere, Hans, and it speaks to me on a few levels. Thanks for sharing it.

2 11,211
 08-03-2014, 05:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice find. A cold shave in the trenches with probably not the sharpest razor on the planet, plus all that dirt and those living conditions. Thank the good lord for hot and cold running water and a clean environment to shave in.

178 23,806
 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Yes there is so much we should remember to be thankful for! Not the least of which is which is a great shave lol!

15 187
 08-03-2014, 06:31 PM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info

Marine Lance Cpl. Roland Ball of Tacoma, Washington, wearing his flak jacket, starts the day with a shave in a trench at Khe Sanh, while the base is surrounded by North Vietnamese regulars, March 2, 1968.
Ball using a helmet as a sink and a rearview mirror taken from a military vehicle. Despite the often-tense atmosphere at the base, sights like this were quite common.

7 298
 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
Another nice period photo Paul... and one of the things the soldiers of today can't do, since todays kevlar helmets don't take kindly to that sort of use.

3 4,479
 08-03-2014, 08:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice photo Paul.

178 23,806
 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM
User Info
OK, I was part of the steel helmet crowd, so how does the modern Kevlar helmeted GI shave while dug in? Anyone?

The steel pot was kinda nice for heating up water to wash with too.

32 6,458
 08-04-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
Best guess Brian? He don't - in the wars of the last decade it's not been too much of the "live in a trench for a couple of weeks" kind of battles.

Now, I can only speak for Norwegian forces, but it seems like the general idea these days is that if you can't use the normal facilities in whatever base / camp / FOB / PB you're in is to let the stubble grow until you can.

3 4,479
 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
(08-03-2014, 08:58 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: [Image: Barbier_fran%C3%A7ais_tranch%C3%A9es.jpg]

Trench foot, trench fever and trench mouth be dammed - the gallant fighting men needs to be clean shaven (so the respirators wont leak, one has to presume). The implied horrors of the first world war notwithstanding, it is a rather nice period photograph I stumbled over on Wikipedia while looking for something unrelated.

I DVR'd a 3 part mini series on the History Channel. It chronicles Churchill, Patton, Hitler and Stalin from WWI through WWII. One of the first things shown is Hitler in WWI as a "runner" between the trenches and he has this big burly mustache. During a gas attack he could not get his mask to seal and after the danger was over he cut away that burly mustache to that wacky mustache we've all seen pictures of.

To be clear, this post is not meant to bring up anything political ..... just an interesting piece of historical information I never knew.

129 6,685