08-03-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When you get my age you have time to stare out the window and wonder/ponder. I was doing that this morning while watching the birds pester the squirrels in my backyard.

If I were forced to just use one soap, one aftershave, one brush, and one razor for the rest of my life, what would I pick. I've got so many nice items in my den I had to give this some thought and this is what I came up with.

MWF, Alt Innsbruck, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Synthetic Brush, and my Feather AS-D2 Razor. And I would probably pick Personna Med Prep Blades to use in it.

[Image: 83OXRcS.jpg]

179 23,923
 08-03-2014, 10:52 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Johnny, so you were having a "Nick moment?" Wink

17 550
 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
I would agree with you on the MWF.

I'm trying to catch up with you Johnny, but you're going to have to slow down or I'll never catch you! I really do enjoy all of your stories and expertise!

21 555
 08-03-2014, 12:29 PM
User Info
Easy,

Although I have a small collection of stuff compared to most of you folks it is because I have found what I like best and am not curious enough to keep on buying more.
So :
Pre shave - soap and water.
Razor - Rolls Razor.
Blades - Rolls. Same one for life.
Soap, Croap, Cream - MeM and R.P. Williams and Nivea and a few others that I rotate to keep from getting bored. I may try a new one when one is used up but I don't let the quantity exceed what I have now.
Brushes - 11: 1 Silver tip Badger. 3 Finest badger. 2 Boar. 2 Synthetics. = 8. I use them in a daily rotation except for 3 nondescripts.
Aftershave - Aqua Velva Musk.

I am trying to learn to use a cutthroat but progress is slow, very slow. Very, very slow.

Mickey

0 65
 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Johnny, I am your age and working 60 hours/week doesn't leave me much time to stare out the window and ponder. However, you have a great set up. Mine would be:

Boellis Panama 1924 soap + ASB + EdT
Brush: Mühle STF V2.0 25mm
Strop: Niel Miller 3" Shell Cordovan
Razor: Filarmonica Doble Temple 14

38 5,194
 08-03-2014, 11:06 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Im surprised the Floid Blue didnt make the cut Johnny Biggrin

118 1,708
 08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
User Info
MWF is a great soap. I hadn't used it in a few months until the other day and forgot how good it is. Good choice.

12 848
 08-04-2014, 04:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Very tough choices, but my line-up would be (at least as of now):

TOBS Lavender shaving cream
TOBS Lavender Water aftershave
GFT Mach3 razor
Simpson's 2XL The Colonel in best

7 934
 08-04-2014, 05:08 AM
User Info
as of now ... i have tried just a few things. so ...

MERKUR 37C 2 PASSES
MUHLE STF V2 23MM
TABAC SHAVING SOAP
THAYER'S WITCH HAZEL
ALOE VERA GEL AS ASB

1 495
 08-04-2014, 06:17 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-03-2014, 10:22 AM)Johnny Wrote: When you get my age you have time to stare out the window and wonder/ponder. I was doing that this morning while watching the birds pester the squirrels in my backyard.

If I were forced to just use one soap, one aftershave, one brush, and one razor for the rest of my life, what would I pick. I've got so many nice items in my den I had to give this some thought and this is what I came up with.

MWF, Alt Innsbruck, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Synthetic Brush, and my Feather AS-D2 Razor. And I would probably pick Personna Med Prep Blades to use in it.

[Image: 83OXRcS.jpg]
Well Johnny, I am at that age and I've pondered the same question. My answers change from week to week but it is a short list. I would be absolutely fine with your first two, the MWF and Alt Innsbruck, but I'd probably choose my Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 for my brush, my Fat Boy for my razor and Personna 74s for my blades with Wilkie Light Brigades a close second. If the blades had to be in production models than I'd go PSI.

7 2,359
 08-04-2014, 06:19 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
This is a tough question, but if pressed:

Fatboy with Med Prep Personna
Simpson 57 in Best
Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge Soap
Caldey Island Lavender AS

0 1,137
 08-04-2014, 06:20 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The longest list of possibles is the soap. MWF, C&E(any of them), Tabac, DR Harris (any of them), C&S (any)and PdP.

7 2,359
 08-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Ah! Another "one wet shaving setup for life" thread. I love it. Here is mine:

Prep: hand soap and water - always there
Soap: Arko - not super-exciting, but cheap and effective, never a bad shave with it
Brush: Semogue mixed hair of some kind. I own two, 2012 SOC SE and BC LE Mistura and either one would be fine.
Razor: 1922 Gillette Big Fellow with a New Improved head. Been using that for months exclusively and could continue to the end.
Post: Alum block, rinse, apply non-alcoholic witch hazel.

That would do it for me, but I love my artisan soaps and my home-made two band badgers, so probably not going to happen unless I am forced to.

26 1,751
 08-04-2014, 08:03 AM
User Info
I'm right at that age also but am glad I don't have to make such a decision. In fact, my wife is an enabler and keeps getting me things. Probably won't live long enough to use all the stuff I have now and she keeps getting me more. What a life.

4 952
 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM
User Info
Well Johnny I'm half your age (maybe a little less) and I was pondering this the other morning, probably because I'm a minimalist at heart. Here's what I've come up with:

Prep: Hot shower+365 glycerine soap

Bowl: Aesop Stainless
Brush: Vie-Long 14080
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Standard Brand
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Aftershave: AOS AS Balm (perhaps lavender on Obie's recommendation)

3 202
 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-04-2014, 08:03 AM)MichaelD Wrote: I'm right at that age also but am glad I don't have to make such a decision. In fact, my wife is an enabler and keeps getting me things. Probably won't live long enough to use all the stuff I have now and she keeps getting me more. What a life.

What a wife!

179 23,923
 08-04-2014, 11:54 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Soap- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Brush- Semogue 1470
Razor- '68 Lady Gillette with an Astra SP or Dorco ST 301 (chosen because I know that my face will get more prone to irritation as I age, and this razor, though I get great shaves with it now, is mild enough that I can see using it into old age, thin skin, etc. I would have chosen a straight, but trembling hands and failing eyesight will not work with one of those)
Old Spice (P&G)
Everything but the OS subject to change without notice. Also glad I don't have to choose.

2 1,694
 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I would go with: Myrsol emulsion as a prep, Nomad shaving soap, Merkur Futur loaded with Super iridiuns and the nomad balm.

4 447
 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
And if for some reason MWF was not available, the Speick Stick would work well. For my skin it might even be better than MWF.

[Image: jHe3xJ7.jpg]

179 23,923
 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM
User Info
Can't go wrong with AltInnsbruck and the Fat. I might go for my Progress and my old Made Rite brush and call it wonderful. Nothing fancy but nothing lacking either .

6 1,224