08-03-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
I have been reminded again by a potential buyer's rudeness that common courtesy demands relatively prompt payment once you say you want to buy something. Please, if you say you want something, then pay for it right away.

206 12,188
 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Second that!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 08-03-2014, 11:23 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Ditto....

33 372
 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM
User Info
(08-03-2014, 11:04 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have been reminded again by a potential buyer's rudeness that common courtesy demands relatively prompt payment once you say you want to buy something. Please, if you say you want something, then pay for it right away.

Agreed. I think some members treat a sale more like a reservation.

52 476
 08-03-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
I usually add the following to all of my BST sales and it has worked really well for the most part:

"If we are SPF please pay promptly."

61 1,710
 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
Seller should mark with SPF while awaiting payment IMO for the same reason

7 156
 08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
User Info
Why not have a rule that states an item is available for sale until payment is received? Sellers are foolish to hold items on the hope they will be paid, while turning down prompt paying buyers.

Isn't this common sense or am I missing something?

Michael

24 276
 08-03-2014, 02:46 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
If someone went through the trouble of sending a PM to buy an item, the seller has replied the item is theirs, I see no reason for not paying it promptly. I think the seller should state in the PM something like you have 1 hour to pay or the item goes to next person in the list. Fair enough to me.

10 486
 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
I just got burned by someone who said they would buy over on B&B then didn't. I had marked the item sold, so now I have to wait two weeks or so to relist. Lesson learned on my part!

8 72
 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Maybe the mod's will consider this. On the "other" site a buyer locked one of my sale items immediately after listing. I noted it as sold p funds. A day later when he responded to my messages to complete the sale he had reconsidered... then changed his mind again and wanted it and sent money. THEN he reconsidered again and said sorry and wanted his money back and not to send the brush.

Flip side I had a buyer on the "other" site get extremely ugly when his item didnt show in 3 days- my listing even went so far as to note the date I would be shipping. Foul language etc. Accused me of trying to back out of the sale. Creeped me. What's more, when he received the ATT razor he sent it back and said it was too similar to the razor he had- thought it would've been different. I've had lots of great experiences on BST but havent sold anything since.

7 325
 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
(08-03-2014, 02:36 PM)monarch2001 Wrote: Why not have a rule that states an item is available for sale until payment is received? Sellers are foolish to hold items on the hope they will be paid, while turning down prompt paying buyers.

Isn't this common sense or am I missing something?

Michael

This is a little extreme and if you give your paypal address out to more than one person for the same item you are going to create problems for yourself and everyone involved. I HIGHLY recommend against this.

(08-03-2014, 03:10 PM)Csd3 Wrote: Maybe the mod's will consider this. On the "other" site a buyer locked one of my sale items immediately after listing. I noted it as sold p funds. A day later when he responded to my messages to complete the sale he had reconsidered... then changed his mind again and wanted it and sent money. THEN he reconsidered again and said sorry and wanted his money back and not to send the brush.

Flip side I had a buyer on the "other" site get extremely ugly when his item didnt show in 3 days- my listing even went so far as to note the date I would be shipping. Foul language etc. Accused me of trying to back out of the sale. Creeped me. What's more, when he received the ATT razor he sent it back and said it was too similar to the razor he had- thought it would've been different. I've had lots of great experiences on BST but havent sold anything since.

You can have a bad buyer regardless of what site you use. Hence the reason for this thread in the first place. So do everyone a favor and please stop posting "the other site," because it causes problems.

(08-03-2014, 03:04 PM)rossnme Wrote: I just got burned by someone who said they would buy over on B&B then didn't. I had marked the item sold, so now I have to wait two weeks or so to relist. Lesson learned on my part!

Never mark an item SOLD until you've received payment. You also could have reported this to the mods and had your thread opened back up. When someone says "I'll take it," mark the items sold pending funds until you've received payment.

61 1,710
 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
1st of all I hate rudeness in any form. This is a gentlemanly forum and if you buy then it is UNDERSTOOD that you should be man or woman enough to pay promptly.

WARHAWK

12 333
 08-03-2014, 05:59 PM
User Info
So far, the few things I've sold, I have had great luck.

When I buy, which is way more often than I sell, I always make it a point to pay within 15 minutes (mostly less).

Some people take the BST for granted. It's a wonderful resource to some great gear at great prices.

21 555
 08-03-2014, 06:10 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(I think that's the guy that tried to buy my razor). Lol

7 325
 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
My experience as a buyer is that I pay immediately upon receiving the seller's Paypal address. As a seller, I find that the vast majority of buyers do the same. No need to post SPF.
I think this should be the default expectation and that if a buyer needs additional time, they need to let the seller know that. I have had buyers say I'll take it and then never hear from them again or give some excuse later they changed their mind. The expectation on both sides of a sale should be fast payment and fast shipping.

47 677
 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
User Info
Yes, I aqree, always pay as soon as possible upon stating your commitment to purchase.

(08-03-2014, 11:04 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have been reminded again by a potential buyer's rudeness that common courtesy demands relatively prompt payment once you say you want to buy something. Please, if you say you want something, then pay for it right away.

9 66
 08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
It does seem to me that there might be some reasonable allowance made for connectivity lag though—I've replied to say I'd like something if it is still available, and the seller hasn't seen it for a while, and then I've not been online when they replied in the affirmative. As soon as I see it I pay them of course.

8 43
 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Recently I refunded someone who said they would buy an item and then waited 3 days before paying...I sold them item to the next person and it was shipped before the first person paid...quite the bummer actually!

If I don't get payment the day they say they will pay I sell to the next person interested.

71 1,468
 08-03-2014, 09:15 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I agree that payment should be expected in a matter of hours MAX unless otherwise stated and agreed upon through PM for sales here on BST.
That said I have held items for people longer than a month because they were honest with me about payment expectation and provided consistent reminders for their desire to still buy...also for people that I have long standing good relations with, I've both held and had products held for me without a hitch...The need for stating one's honest intentions is key and if a hint of something else going on I usually will move on quickly.

4 794
 08-04-2014, 05:07 AM
User Info
Honestly, I do not understand why buyers do not pay promptly upon receiving the seller's email address. Most items on the BST sell super-duper, ridiculously, light-speed fast...if you see something you like, you have to jump on it quickly because the odds are high that someone will snatch it up soon thereafter. It is somewhat puzzling when potential buyers hustle on their keyboard to be the first to commit yet do not have the courtesy to pay just as quickly.

0 10