08-04-2014, 05:10 AM
User Info
One of the reasons I got into DE shaving was fond memories of watching my dad as a little boy. The same is now true of me and my six-year-old. The little fellow has great fun dipping his finger into a bowl of cream, putting the cream into the lather bowl, mixing, and then painting his face with lather. He then takes my cart razor (with the protective cover on) and proceeds to "shave". I give him a little splash of after-shave in his palm and he finishes up.

I'd enjoy hearing similar stories.

8 896
 08-04-2014, 06:11 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
As I only have daughters, I'm going to miss out on this part of things, but who knows, maybe a grandson one day. Still, my youngest, also 6, enjoys the brushes, and I'll give her one to work with when I'm using another.

0 1,137
 08-04-2014, 06:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My sons never really cared about my saving routine. As a matter of fact, when they got older they could not believe I took so much time to shave. I called them cart and can goo babies.

My youngest son is a musician and shaves when he wants and only the good lord knows what he uses. He is a free spirit so I don't waste my time talking shaving with him. A while back we went to Austin to visit and here him play. On that Sunday where he was playing a few of the Austin forum member met up with me and my son asked me, who were those guys. I told him they were friends that I had met on our shaving forum. He just shook his head.

Now the oldest son is a different story. While we were visiting last year he was complaining about razor burn and I told him I could solve that problem. I whipped up some lather for him and let him use one of my Schick Injectors. He kept the Schick but he stayed with his foam/gel. My little grandson liked to watch me shave when I was down so I gave him a Schick Injector (without blade), a tube of Palmolive Shave Cream, and a Semogue brush, and showed him how to use them. I'm told he does not use it much except when I go down for a visit. Then when he hears me get up he comes in the bedroom and says, come on Grandpa, it's time to shave.

Happy to say the oldest has now decided to give the brush a try and I have one ordered for him for his birthday.

175 23,752
 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
Shaving with Grandpa... PRICELESS!
Brought to you by Nokia Icon & Tapatalk

0 53
 08-04-2014, 11:20 AM
User Info
This was also one of the huge draws for me to wet shaving. I remember hearing my dad every morning mixing up his lather in an old spice mug and the smell of his aftershave. Fond memories. I hope to pass them along to my own son.

73 2,200
 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
My parents divorced when I was 9, and when they were together my father worked two jobs plus his active duty service in the Army, so I pretty much only saw him when he was sleeping or when I was in trouble. Angel
But I do remember sneaking into the bathroom when everyone else was asleep, and using the Barbasol and my Dad's empty DE(he was smart enough to take the blade out and store it away from little hands between shaves, so I think he knew or suspected what I was up to).

2 1,683
 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM
User Info
Sometimes things work in reverse order. When I started DE shaving a little over 3 years ago. I went to visit dad for the weekend. I brought my shaving rig and showed it to him. He sort of raised his eyebrows with an added snort. I then pulled out Pinaud Clubman classics AS and let him take a sniff. His eyes lit up and his mind was instantly transported back in time. I think he landed in the mid-sixties some where. He asked, "my I have some?" He splashed some on and he got a little choked up. He said it brought a lot of memories back. I ordered him a bottle. He now uses it all the time as well as Fine American Blend that I sent him. DE, soap and brush are another story.

0 1,007
 08-05-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
Nice, Aaron...and I think you're right. Yesterday when I was on the subway with my little guy, he said (unprompted), "Papa! For your birthday and Christmas I'll get you shave stuff!" That's m'boy.

8 896
 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM
User Info
(08-05-2014, 08:34 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Nice, Aaron...and I think you're right. Yesterday when I was on the subway with my little guy, he said (unprompted), "Papa! For your birthday and Christmas I'll get you shave stuff!" That's m'boy.
BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

0 1,007
 08-05-2014, 11:08 PM
User Info
I only have a step daughter who is 3. But she'll often sit and watch me shave when I get home from work early in the morning and ask me why I'm putting "Cheese" on my face.

0 65
 08-08-2014, 01:53 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
My 17 Year Old will now shave with a DE. But, only every now and then.

In between shaves he lets his beard grow and ends up looking like Captain Ahab.

In the beginning he would use his multi-blade razor but, after letting his beard grow out and trying to use his multi-blade razor to shave his beard off ... he learned to appreciate a DE.

For all of the soaps, creams, razors, brushes, etc. that I have he does think I am crazy but, he does like the way that a DE cuts those beard hairs.

My 6 year old only sees me shave on the Weekends.

1 819
 08-09-2014, 01:06 AM
User Info
Lovely times. My sons (4 and 7) have great fun playing with my shaving gear. They can name the razors which I have and know the types of animal which gave up their bristles for my brushes and delight in a splash of aftershave, not knowing whether to love or hate the mentholated ones!

I have told them that my Old Spice is a reminder of my late father (whom they never knew but for whom they have a nostalgic affection, knowing him as 'Pa'), and they will often ask for a splash of 'Paftershave'! Yesterday they asked if we could do a summer project together and make our own batch of Paftershave, so if anyone has any good recipes...

And as a slower burn project, for which I have time, I am hand carving a wooden brush handle for each of them into which I'll set a liberated Omega 49 knot. Never having whittled before I'm realizing the dangers of sharp knives and that hands are more easily cut than wood!

0 19
 08-09-2014, 04:10 AM
User Info
nice small heart touching stories ! Heart

1 495
 08-09-2014, 08:19 AM
User Info
I dont have a son but my 19 month old daughter will stand there transfixed as I go through my prep & shave routine on the weekends. She likes to try and imitate some of the things I do. Gets me smiling everytime.

My father is a die hard cartridge guy. Tried to convert him but no luck. Said he never could get use to DE's. He does love the Fine American Blend AS I got him. Says it reminds him of his father. I also got him a bottle of the Platinum but told him it was more for my stepmom to enjoy than him. She agrees and makes him wear it often lol.

147 3,463
 08-23-2014, 04:06 PM
User Info
I remember seeing my dad use a DE razor 40+ years ago before he switched to cart razors. As a little boy I would see him use that machine. Twisting and contorting his face to get all the hairs. One day, being a kid, I picked up that DE. Same one I use now. I decide to try it. Bam!! I busted my chin!! I remember the blood as I cried and my mom came running. I never touched it again until a few weeks ago.

Jump to present time. My son sees me shave and says "daddy doing his babba". Babba is how he pronounces barba(Italian). He laughs when he sees me lathered up and loves to smell my face. Ahh, he says!! One day I will teach him how to shave on a DE razor. I am really looking foward for that day!!

3 218
 08-24-2014, 09:10 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoyed watching my grandfather and father shave as a young boy. My grandfather always used Old Spice soap and aftershave, and my father used Mennen's. When I started shaving in 1962, I purchased a slim, and of course both Old Spice and Mennen's, and continued to use the same razor and soaps/aftershaves as long as they were available. I still enjoy using the aftershaves from time to time, as they bring back memories, only my wife complains that I either smell like a pine tree or like an old fogey, which I probably am. I was happy to learn several months ago that my 30 year old son living in Los Angeles had been using a DE for a couple of years, so I immediately sent him some of the products that I currently enjoy, and it's been fun discussing shaving in our emails. I'd give anything to watch them shave one last time.

38 5,034
 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM
User Info
Well, I can't recall my dad using a DE as he switched to carts some time ago. Nonetheless, my son has seen me shave, countless times and will continue to do so for many more years hopefully instilling in him some fond memories. Biggrin

82 21,056
 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM
User Info
My dad said he used a DE razor early on, but then went to two bladed carts until the Mach III came out. I remember when I was little, I used to go in the bathroom when he was shaving and put some shaving cream on and "shave" with him. I have a picture of that somewhere.

2 396
 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
My dad didn't actually teach me a thing about shaving. I would scrape a cartridge over a basically dry face (with canned goo) and call it good. Today, I still shake my head at my younger self now that I've discovered what a wonderful ritual it can be, and hope I have a son to share it with. I have two small daughters right now that I love to pieces, but still hoping a son is somewhere in the cards.

16 249
 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
(08-04-2014, 06:31 AM)Johnny Wrote: My sons never really cared about my saving routine. As a matter of fact, when they got older they could not believe I took so much time to shave. I called them cart and can goo babies.

My youngest son is a musician and shaves when he wants and only the good lord knows what he uses. He is a free spirit so I don't waste my time talking shaving with him. A while back we went to Austin to visit and here him play. On that Sunday where he was playing a few of the Austin forum member met up with me and my son asked me, who were those guys. I told him they were friends that I had met on our shaving forum. He just shook his head.

Now the oldest son is a different story. While we were visiting last year he was complaining about razor burn and I told him I could solve that problem. I whipped up some lather for him and let him use one of my Schick Injectors. He kept the Schick but he stayed with his foam/gel. My little grandson liked to watch me shave when I was down so I gave him a Schick Injector (without blade), a tube of Palmolive Shave Cream, and a Semogue brush, and showed him how to use them. I'm told he does not use it much except when I go down for a visit. Then when he hears me get up he comes in the bedroom and says, come on Grandpa, it's time to shave.

Happy to say the oldest has now decided to give the brush a try and I have one ordered for him for his birthday.

that's a great grandpa story

24 698