08-04-2014, 07:58 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Actually, I've already emailed Phil to invoice me for one but I wanted to ask the Nookers about this brush.

I got hold of my first Simpsons ( Duke 2 Best) last week and after three uses it opened up wonderfully. I also like its size and wanted a similarly sized brush to rotate with.

The Classic 1 is what came to mind. I understand it has a shorter and denser knot so I am assuming it might give a bit more scrub. Would this be correct?

To those who've had one for a while, does it change much with regular use?

2 286
 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have the Classic 1 in 2-Band SilverTip, and the Classic 2 in BEST that is absolutely the highest quality BEST hair of all my Simpson BEST brushes.

I would recommend the Classic 2 over the 1 because of the slightly larger handle and knot...UNLESS you want to use it as a travel brush, in that case...go for the Classic 1 because it will fit the travel tube and is My favorite of all my travel brushes. Nice dense knot along with an ergonomic handle, AKA "Chubby .5" Good Luck and enjoy your final decision!

4 794
 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
I have a Classic 2 in Best. Wonderful brush. Dense and soft. I have not owned a Duke so no yardstick for comparison here, but I would recommend the Classic unequivocally.

11 517
 08-05-2014, 12:14 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(08-04-2014, 01:56 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I have the Classic 1 in 2-Band SilverTip, and the Classic 2 in BEST that is absolutely the highest quality BEST hair of all my Simpson BEST brushes.

I would recommend the Classic 2 over the 1 because of the slightly larger handle and knot...UNLESS you want to use it as a travel brush, in that case...go for the Classic 1 because it will fit the travel tube and is My favorite of all my travel brushes. Nice dense knot along with an ergonomic handle, AKA "Chubby .5" Good Luck and enjoy your final decision!
I thought of the Classic 2 too but there were two issues. First, my preferred vendors are out of stock and second, I'm a little worried that the 23mm knot coupled with increased density would make the brush a bit too much for me.

It might sound like (pardon the pun) splitting hairs, but I've learned that the 21 to 22mm range with a dense knot is about what I like and need. Slightly larger might just push it out of my comfort zone.

2 286
 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(08-05-2014, 12:14 AM)Karlo Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 01:56 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I have the Classic 1 in 2-Band SilverTip, and the Classic 2 in BEST that is absolutely the highest quality BEST hair of all my Simpson BEST brushes.

I thought of the Classic 2 too but there were two issues. First, my preferred vendors are out of stock and second, I'm a little worried that the 23mm knot coupled with increased density would make the brush a bit too much for me.

It might sound like (pardon the pun) splitting hairs, but I've learned that the 21 to 22mm range with a dense knot is about what I like and need. Slightly larger might just push it out of my comfort zone.

I see, The Classic 1 may be better for your preference because of knot size. With this brush as I'm sure you already know, the knot is pretty much right in your specified zone and will be very dense too...Good luck with the decision...let us know what you decide on, maybe with some picsTongue!

4 794
 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I have the Classic 1 (you can find my review of it here), and really like the thing. It's a very dense brush, and gets right down to business. I don't find it too small to use either, but I only use it for face lathering. Using it in a bowl of any depth (let alone a scuttle) would cause problems.

0 1,137
 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(08-06-2014, 07:51 AM)Elendil Wrote: I don't find it too small to use either, but I only use it for face lathering. Using it in a bowl of any depth (let alone a scuttle) would cause problems.

Perfect! I don't really intend to bowl lather with it. Smile

2 286
 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used my Classic 2 this morning and it is borderline too small, I sold my Classic 1 as it crossed the border. But, we all have different tastes and even then our tastes can change so buy what you want and only take others suggestions as such.

144 2,745
 08-22-2014, 02:14 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
It finally arrived today.

[Image: vWX05Ew.jpg]

It's about the size of a Semogue 620, maybe smaller by a touch. Three things come to mind:

- I think there is a good chance I will like it.
- I think there is an even better chance of buying a Chubby 1 Best and/or a Duke 3 in a couple of months.
- it wouldn't surprise me if Simpson brushes bred like rabbits in my den.

2 286
 08-22-2014, 02:43 AM
User Info
A lovely brush, Karlo, and just a personal thing.... it's so nice to see the old Simpson sticker on it.
Enjoy your new brush.Smile

31 5,293
 08-22-2014, 05:48 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I will. I shampooed it today to prep it for my Sunday shave. Lost about six or seven hairs.

2 286
 08-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(08-22-2014, 02:43 AM)Optometrist Wrote: it's so nice to see the old Simpson sticker on it.

huge +1

Perfect example of a Classic 1, Karlo. great shave!

35 1,329
 08-22-2014, 06:01 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Since I'm new to the brand, I only noticed the difference in stickers when you guys pointed it out. The one on my Duke says Great Britain. Nice to learn something new.

2 286
 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Congrats Karlo! I hope you enjoy the brush .

I've got a CL2 on my very short list... I've been itching to try the new batch of Best and I believe I'll be taking the plunge on a Classic. Keep us updated with your thoughts

34 1,628
 08-24-2014, 07:18 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Giorgio,

I posted my initial impressions here:

http://www.shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=25045

2 286