08-04-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
I'm wondering if anyone has tried these? I love Stirling's products but their alcohol-based aftershaves are one of the few products that they don't sell any samples. I'm intrigued by the Bay Lime and Black Pepper Lime scents.

If anyone has tried them, could you offer your opinions on...
1) How similar is the Bay Lime to their Bay Rum scent? I'm actually not that impressed with Stirling's Bay Rum (too sweet). Is it pretty similar? Is the lime easily detectable?
2) Of the scents you've tried, how long do they stick around?

16 249
 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM
  • Littlemax
  • Emerald Isle, NC USA
User Info
I can only speak for the few items I have. The Black Pepper Lime is excellent. Reminds me of Wm Neumann Lime & Mint Rum. I prefer the Sterling better and the price is much more reasonable. I get over 3 hours on the scent. Very nice. Sharp Dressed Man is excellent. I get a Cedar & Lavender scent. Long lasting as well. Both products outstanding on your skin. Not greasy or tacky. Will definitely try others in the collection. The soaps are also excellent. I own Rosemary Mint, Lavender and Bay Rum. Great quality products for a low price. Have recently added Orange Chill, Margarita's In the Artic and Vanilla Sandalwood. All are excellent. Next up will be Lemon Chill.

0 36
 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM
User Info
I haven't tried the Alcohol Based Splashes yet, but if I do it will be Barbershop. Have you looked at the balms? They are cheaper and are absolutely wonderful and do not leave the skin greasy.

46 1,102
 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
User Info
(08-05-2014, 01:09 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I haven't tried the Alcohol Based Splashes yet, but if I do it will be Barbershop. Have you looked at the balms? They are cheaper and are absolutely wonderful and do not leave the skin greasy.

Thanks man, I do plan on trying the balms as well because I've heard a lot of good things! It's just that the Bay Lime and Black Pepper Lime scents sound interesting but because the splashes are more expensive I am hoping someone can give some impressions before dropping the $12 on one. And I'm trying to figure out what "Bay Lime" might smell like.

@Littlemax - thanks for your input! Glad to hear you like the Black Pepper Lime!

16 249
 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
I have been curious why the alcohol versions are so much more than the witch hazel versions. Not that it's overpriced, but I'm curious why the difference.

I like the Ozark Mountain scent enough that I've been tempted to grab some.

9 112
 08-06-2014, 03:51 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote:I have been curious why the alcohol versions are so much more than the witch hazel versions.

Because they cost more to make.

I have the Sharp Dressed Man. It feels great and the skin conditioning is top notch. I have figured out that the SDM scent in not for me though......

I look forward to Rod adding to the collection as time goes on.

Ingredients: Denatured Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Essential Oil Blend, Aloe, Glycerin, Hydrovance

[Image: StirlingSDMAS_zpseabc0354.jpg]

4 2,694
 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM
User Info
I have the Sharp Dressed Man and have no complaints. Righg amount burn, nice dry down, lasting fragrance. YMMV.

147 3,463
 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM
User Info
(08-05-2014, 01:54 PM)DesertJake Wrote: I have been curious why the alcohol versions are so much more than the witch hazel versions. Not that it's overpriced, but I'm curious why the difference.

I like the Ozark Mountain scent enough that I've been tempted to grab some.

They cost more because it costs more to ship products that contain Alcohol.

(08-05-2014, 01:17 PM)shakermaker41 Wrote:
(08-05-2014, 01:09 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I haven't tried the Alcohol Based Splashes yet, but if I do it will be Barbershop. Have you looked at the balms? They are cheaper and are absolutely wonderful and do not leave the skin greasy.

Thanks man, I do plan on trying the balms as well because I've heard a lot of good things! It's just that the Bay Lime and Black Pepper Lime scents sound interesting but because the splashes are more expensive I am hoping someone can give some impressions before dropping the $12 on one. And I'm trying to figure out what "Bay Lime" might smell like.

@Littlemax - thanks for your input! Glad to hear you like the Black Pepper Lime!

No problem! Those do sound very interesting. My two favorite soaps from Rod are his Sandalwood And Barbershop so I tend to stick with those two. Honestly, I am not a balm kinda guy either but ever since trying his Balms, I would take them hands down over the splashes. They smell fantasic, the scent lasts for a while, the ingredients are top notch for your skin, a little bit goes a very long way, and on top of being an Aftershave, it's a fantastic Moisturizer. For the price and quality of these Balms, nothing out there on the market can beat them IMHO.

46 1,102
 08-07-2014, 06:42 AM
User Info
NEW AFTERSHAVES: I just received a (glass) bottle of Stirlings "sharp dressed men" alcohol based A/S about four weeks ago. Its good stuff IMHO, very moisturising with a scent that lasts. If you like alcohol based A/S It's worth checking out. Rod offers the following scents: sharp dressed man, barbershop,bayrum, bay lime, black pepper lime, stirling spice,& ozark mountain. 100ml. for $12.00. (sandlewood in the works)

I've tried the bay rum and black pepper lime, they were great as well with plenty of burn from the bay rum.

6 589
 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM
User Info
(08-07-2014, 06:42 AM)captain caveman Wrote: NEW AFTERSHAVES: I just received a (glass) bottle of Stirlings "sharp dressed men" alcohol based A/S about four weeks ago. Its good stuff IMHO, very moisturising with a scent that lasts. If you like alcohol based A/S It's worth checking out. Rod offers the following scents: sharp dressed man, barbershop,bayrum, bay lime, black pepper lime, stirling spice,& ozark mountain. 100ml. for $12.00. (sandlewood in the works)

I've tried the bay rum and black pepper lime, they were great as well with plenty of burn from the bay rum.

Great to hear the Alcohol Based Splashes are Nice! I wouldn't expect anything less from Rod's formulations!

I may have to Jump on that Sandalwood when its released. I did not know he was going to make a Sandalwood Splash. But as of right now I am loving the Balms.

46 1,102
 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
User Info
Love hearing such great opinions of these splashes! Definitely makes me more anxious to try one.

I'm still curious though if anyone has tried "Bay Lime" and how similar in scent it is to his Bay Rum scent (which I actually don't really care for).

16 249
 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM
User Info
I would honestly advise you to take the plunge with Stirling Products! They are top notch at Great Prices. Your best bet to find out what the BAY LIME is all about is to contact Rod himself. He is normally very quick to respond.

46 1,102
 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM
User Info
I have the Ozark Mountain alcohol-based splash and love it! I asked Rod if he could add menthol to it, and he obliged. The scent is stronger than the soap scent, and to me is more "piney." The face-feel is excellent, to say the least. I highly recommend picking up a bottle.

0 4
 08-28-2014, 04:45 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Thanks rweb82. I have been wondering about the Ozark Mountain. It is my second favorite Stirling shave soap.

4 2,694
 09-08-2014, 12:01 PM
User Info
I just wanted to post a follow up here - I did contact Rod about possible samples of Bay Lime and Black Pepper Lime, because they both sounded great in description. He did me a solid and sent me a 1oz sample of each.

From the bottle, they both smell great but I was much more intrigued by the Black Pepper Lime. It literally is like a bit of black pepper with some lime washing over it. I guess I had to actually smell it for that description to make sense.

On the face, the Black Pepper Lime has little to no burn and feels great. The Bay Lime however burned like hell, which I am not a fan of. I thought the first time that maybe I had a rougher-than-usual shave, but I had the same result the next two times I tried it. It's feels similar to Cat-O-Nine Tails in the burn and I just don't want to put it on my face anymore, even if the scent is good.

Anyone else have any experience with either of these?

16 249
 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM
User Info
(08-28-2014, 04:45 AM)Coyote Wrote: Thanks rweb82. I have been wondering about the Ozark Mountain. It is my second favorite Stirling shave soap.

You're welcome, Coyote! These Stirling splashes have quickly risen to the top of my favorites list.

0 4
 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  • lowjax
  • I can customize myself
  • Milwaukee, WI
User Info
Good to hear the great things about Stirling Aftershaves. I've not tried any of them yet, but they are on my wish list for Santa. I hope I get some.

1 47
 11-04-2014, 07:43 PM
User Info
Can anybody comment on the balms?

9 1,203
 11-04-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
(11-04-2014, 07:43 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Can anybody comment on the balms?
I have a bottle of the SDM balm. It's my go to when I have a less than perfect shave. Very healing and moisturizing.

0 19
 11-04-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
I have the barbershop balm and it's one of my favorite aftershaves , both in feel and scent.

16 249