08-04-2014, 06:14 PM
User Info
If you are at all like me I find that I much prefer soaps to creams but I have a few creams that I really enjoy the scent of. I found one day that I had left the top off of a tub of TOBS Eton College cream for a couple of days. The result was a dried cream that was of the consistency of a soft Italian soap ie. a croap. I have since used a food dehydrator to dry out some other creams and transform them into croaps. The results have been fantastic. The soaps produce wonderful lather and for me are much more enjoyable to use now. Has anyone else ever tried this? If not you should! Biggrin

73 2,196
 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
User Info
I have an old DR HARRIS Arlington shaving cream in pot that has the consistency of a semi hard soap, not croap - but harder. Not DR HARRIS soap triple milled hard, but quite hard and it lathers beautifully.

My tube of LAVANDA cream is rock hard to press out and lathers like a champion, if I can press it out at all

24 5,840
 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM
User Info
I haven't felt the need to do this intentionally, but I have some old vintage jars of Penhaligon's Lords shaving cream that have dried to croap consistency. They lather quite well.

206 12,189
 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
User Info
I've heard of doing this. I think Tieste may have suggested it w/ Tabula Rasa?

10 1,858
 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM
User Info
Since making soaps, I've been curious about the difference in making a croap v. a cream. I'm still not sure what the exact difference is, but I think the only difference is a cream is whipped more and has more water.

Using a dehydrator is a very interesting experiment. Does it leave residue on the sides? How much does it shrink?

9 3,024
 08-05-2014, 02:09 AM
User Info
(08-04-2014, 09:29 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Does it leave residue on the sides? How much does it shrink?
I have not pushed the limits of the dehydrator to see just how much it shrinks, but a nearly full tub of cream becomes about 3/4 of a tub when it has become the consistency of a soft Italian soap.

73 2,196
 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM
User Info
(08-04-2014, 07:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have an old DR HARRIS Arlington shaving cream in pot that has the consistency of a semi hard soap, not croap - but harder. Not DR HARRIS soap triple milled hard, but quite hard and it lathers beautifully.

My tube of LAVANDA cream is rock hard to press out and lathers like a champion, if I can press it out at all

I guess I shouldn't surprised that it lathers so well because all that has been lost in the dehydration process is the water.

I guess the biggest draw for me on this process is that I feel like to product lasts longer. Creams seem to disappear quickly but soaps seem to last a long time, and I always overload the brush from the soap.

73 2,196
 08-05-2014, 06:19 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have never tried the dehydrator technique, but I do tend to leave the tops of my soaps and some select creams in a tub. I recently did this with Steampunk, and now I load it like a soap

34 1,628
 08-05-2014, 07:13 AM
User Info
(08-04-2014, 09:29 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Since making soaps, I've been curious about the difference in making a croap v. a cream. I'm still not sure what the exact difference is, but I think the only difference is a cream is whipped more and has more water.

Using a dehydrator is a very interesting experiment. Does it leave residue on the sides? How much does it shrink?

If shaving creams are made the same way as a cream soap (like "bath whip") then there is some extra superfat involved, and longer cure time (called rotting for whatever reason).

The recently-posted Tabula Rasa process pictorial only had a rest of a couple of days, though, so who knows. I haven't seen a technical explanation of what's supposed to be happening during the "rot."

This isn't a shaving soap formulation, but here's a tutorial on a cream soap. The end result seems similar to what we know as shaving creams.

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/ho...-D27_ldVwY

10 1,858
 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
Very interesting, thanks for posting that.

My takeaway: holy crap that's a lot of water!!! 8.5:1 in the original formula, 6.6:1 in her 'revised' formulation.

9 3,024
 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
User Info
Great post! So happy I found it.

Been forever thinking of letting some of my creams dry. I have become accustomed and prefer to load my brush directly and really wet creams tend to overload leading to waste.

Wonder if they lose any benefits though.

1 182
 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-04-2014, 07:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: My tube of LAVANDA cream is rock hard to press out and lathers like a champion, if I can press it out at all

If you can't press it out, just put it in the fridge overnight, and try again the next day... You'll be surprised. Wink

26 4,895
 08-06-2014, 04:29 AM
User Info
(08-05-2014, 03:34 PM)ffarouki Wrote: Wonder if they lose any benefits though.

My experience thus far has been that the cream retains all of it wonderful properties. All that has been lost in the dehydration process is the water in the cream. Once the water is added back the lather will be just as good as it would have been without dehydrating it.

73 2,196
 08-06-2014, 04:52 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I actually did that to on my creams which is now a croap. But in the process I added more glycerin for post shave properties. The cream I used was veleiro creme da barbear. This SC consistency was not smooth at all. It has a good amount of lanolin chunks in it, so when bowl lathering it would not dissolve properly into a lather. But after the process of making it a croap, it performs significantly better.

10 963
 08-06-2014, 05:45 AM
User Info
(08-06-2014, 04:52 AM)Balj86 Wrote: I actually did that to on my creams which is now a croap. But in the process I added more glycerin for post shave properties. The cream I used was veleiro creme da barbear. This SC consistency was not smooth at all. It has a good amount of lanolin chunks in it, so when bowl lathering it would not dissolve properly into a lather. But after the process of making it a croap, it performs significantly better.
Did you just stir the additional glycerin into the cream before drying it out?

73 2,196
 08-06-2014, 06:25 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(08-06-2014, 05:45 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 04:52 AM)Balj86 Wrote: I actually did that to on my creams which is now a croap. But in the process I added more glycerin for post shave properties. The cream I used was veleiro creme da barbear. This SC consistency was not smooth at all. It has a good amount of lanolin chunks in it, so when bowl lathering it would not dissolve properly into a lather. But after the process of making it a croap, it performs significantly better.
Did you just stir the additional glycerin into the cream before drying it out?

Yup, but during the drying process I would mix it up every 2-3 days. I also left it in cool place with no light in order to cure/harden.

10 963
 08-06-2014, 06:56 AM
User Info
I have some TOBS Grapefruit that is really runny. It came that way too. The performance is good though. I only use it every once in a while, and when I do, it has a thick, dried skin on top, pretty much like pudding.

I've often thought about drying it out some, but I don't want the scent to dissipate. Did you notice that the scent was less after dried out?

21 555
 08-06-2014, 07:02 AM
User Info
(08-06-2014, 06:56 AM)BriDroid Wrote: I have some TOBS Grapefruit that is really runny. It came that way too. The performance is good though. I only use it every once in a while, and when I do, it has a thick, dried skin on top, pretty much like pudding.

I've often thought about drying it out some, but I don't want the scent to dissipate. Did you notice that the scent was less after dried out?
I wondered about the scent diminishing when I first attempted drying out a cream. I honestly can't say that the scents changed at all. I have to admit that the two creams I have tried it with (TOBS sandalwood and eton college) have stronger scents to begin with. Still I did not perceive a change in the scent.

73 2,196
 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
(08-06-2014, 06:56 AM)BriDroid Wrote: I have some TOBS Grapefruit that is really runny. It came that way too. The performance is good though. I only use it every once in a while, and when I do, it has a thick, dried skin on top, pretty much like pudding.

My experience with leaving soaps out is that they may dissipate a bit on the very surface, but after a few uses the scent is usually just as present as it was before.

At least, until we're talking about years of sitting.

10 1,858
 08-06-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
Good to hear. I'm going to try and dry it out some. The runny cream has always bugged me since I got this tub. I read online, and others also have had some runny TOBS creams. At least I'm not the only one. Biggrin

21 555