05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
User Info
Ever seen those pictures or commercials of real manly men with their awesome looking 5 o'clock shadow? Some have a distinct color in their shadow and I what causes this color is a mystery to me, which I find intriguing and what I've been trying to accomplish.

If you've ever seen men with really white or tanned skin, their 5 o'clock shadow is a blueish-green colored pigment. Is it caused by the aftershave they use or specific shaving cream or direction of shaving? I know one thing, they use a cartridge razor.

Is it the aqua velva? It's blue...

0 128
 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
I can't say that I've noticed what you're referring to.

31 7,914
 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
(05-19-2012, 03:21 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: Ever seen those pictures or commercials of real manly men with their awesome looking 5 o'clock shadow? Some have a distinct color in their shadow and I what causes this color is a mystery to me, which I find intriguing and what I've been trying to accomplish.

If you've ever seen men with really white or tanned skin, their 5 o'clock shadow is a blueish-green colored pigment. Is it caused by the aftershave they use or specific shaving cream or direction of shaving? I know one thing, they use a cartridge razor.

Is it the aqua velva? It's blue...

When my hair was reddish brown, when I was young, it was much more like the 5 O'clock shadows you see portrayed in the advertisements. Now that it is more grey, it blends in with my skin tone so it is not a bad from a distance, but up close you can tell when it is the end of the day.

1 2,827
 05-19-2012, 06:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've usually got my 5 O'clock by 10am. The colour is now showing hints of grey!
I think the models usually have a few days growth that is trimmed back with clippers (making it appear denser and richer in colour). Also they do no doubt have a lot of foundation and or other make-up applied which probably also impacts on colour.

Not sure about the blueish green pigment...

91 17,874
 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The blue/green is probably caused by light scattering and partial absorption by the skin. No luck finding an actual explanation, though.

10 1,858
 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Marketing magic...

35 2,703
 05-20-2012, 09:20 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And this really seems to be the purposeful look on TV and in the movies these days. A clean shaven face is definitely not the norm from what I see and I don't quite understand that.

There is certainly marketing involved but I don't really understand how the media arrived at this. There are even electric razors that purposefully leave a 5 o'clock, (or more) shadow.

Unless one is watching a period piece like Mad Men, the clean shave seems to be out.

6 905
 05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's why I watch the Turner Classic Movie channel.

173 23,553
 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
I used to have the awesome 5 o'clock shadow that you refer to. I attribute the "look" to the cut consistency of the carts I was using at the time. I always believed it looked unsightly though, gentlemen should be well groomed and that includes a fresh shave. That's years of active duty talking btw. I believe it's the current style because the vast majority of men hate their shaving system and have yet to stumble upon our enlightened selves for proper conversion. I have a thick, tough beard. I always found the shadow frustrating because no matter how great the cart shave was I would still end up scruffy at the end of the day. Additionally, I felt like a scrub coming off leave because I would let it grow the entire time just to let my face heal up.

0 41
 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
User Info
Well, I agree with CF (others also re: this). Not many years in the military myself (3) but enough to know what unkempt is. If one wishes for the good duty one learns pretty fast to compete and win for supernumery (sp?) when I comes to guard duty. Our unit had guard duty because we were, quite frankly, the best (Co A 12th Engr Bn). We were the gate guards at the main and only gate on post, among other duties. I almost never pulled guard duty because I was the best of the best, supernumery almost 100% of the time. Only if someone got sick or there was an emergency was I awoken. So it got ingrained; be the best. That meant clean shaven among many other things.

I marvel at the males on TV with a "following" that look like they came out of a garbage can.

I know my lady likes her shaven man. I can't imagine what possesses some females, but then I listen to the evening news and know that there are all types. That doesn't mean I "get it"; I only know that they exist.

But back to the OPs post... there is lighting, makeup, all sorts of things to create the image of the testosterone charged male that others wish to emulate by buying whatever. I think it's virility that's supposedly being portrayed, at least years ago, maybe now also. There is also the color balance that might need to be checked too.

32 6,311
 06-09-2012, 11:18 PM
User Info
Yes, yes!! Mad Men!! I was watching it the other day and John Hamm's beard was of what I'm describing in this thread.

There has to be a way to get this look. Do you grow out your beard and shave it off? Is it the chemicals in the canned shaving creams? Is it the aftershave?

0 128
 06-09-2012, 11:24 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
My nephew's beard is so dark compared to his skin tone that even when he has gotten a DFS you can still see the beard under the skin. So he pretty much always has some shadow.

I used to have 5 o'clock shadow when I was younger. Now I live so far out in the sticks and I'm so old, my 5 o'clock shadow doesn't get here until 11:15. Dodgy

0 396
 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Also, if anyone watches Robert De Niro movies, you could clearly see a shadow on his face throughout the movie, A Bronx Tale - which is an alright good movie, definitely not his best work. Weak ending though.

0 128